Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2022 Dodge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2022 Dodge

I'll be looking at a 2022 Dodge dually to pull our new 381M Could use some advise on what transmission I should be looking at. Thanks for the help.
    Retired Hypnotist after 40 years.
    2021 Momentum 381M-R
    15 Foot garage
    Three air conditions
    Tow vehicle 2019 Ram Heavy Duty 4 X 4 Dually
    Going full time by December 2021
    Left Missouri in 2016 moved to Florida

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the old one View Post
    I'll be looking at a 2022 Dodge dually to pull our new 381M Could use some advise on what transmission I should be looking at. Thanks for the help.
    Hello I order a 2022 Laramie in Mid-June went with the HO engine & Aisin Trans from my research seemed to be the way to go but still don't have it so no real experience yet. we will be towing 350M loaded with toys but may up size trailer later hope this helps
    2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4 x 4
    Bilstein 5100 Series shocks / Air Lift Bags
    B & W Turnoverball with Companion 20k
    2016 Momentum 350M
    2019 Honda 1000-5 Deluxe

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had two HO / Aisin combos. Low speed shift pattern can be a little funky at times. Other than that it’s fine. I’m towing around 14k loaded for a long trip. Towing much more l would probably go with the 4.10 gears. I have 3.73 and will lock out 6th if running in the mountains.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AISIN - 100%. If you have never driven a Cummins before, all a little lagging from dead stop and not instantly responsive. This is because the Cummins will shread a trans otherwise so there's heavy torque management programming and the drive by wire throttle arc intentionally delayed. As was previously said the AISIN has some funky shift behavior at times, but way heavier and more capable than the Chrysler box. I recently drove a 2021 HO and they have done a great job smoothing the programming compared to my 2015. I'm anxious to see if rumors for the next full generation revision of the heavy trucks delivers one (or both) of the new transmissions behind the Cummins with more gears!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had a PCM update to my RAM and I like the smoother shifting of the Aisin since with a couple of exceptions - mostly hard 3rd gear shift while accelerating and then having to back off to brake. But, the vehicle is still 'learning'. Below is what I posted on the Cummins forum a couple of days ago.

"I have noticed the shift change though mine has been less harsh. When I head off to work, within a mile, I have to make a sharp right onto a 17 degree climb up a hill. Traction isn't the best with morning dew on the roads. Truck used to really bog down by an early shift into 3rd and then mis-fire trying to accelerate up the hill until I got to the top and could back off the pedal a bit. That has smoothed out considerably and seems like the shift into 3rd is delayed a bit."
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a '19 RAM 3500 with the HO, and Aisin tranny. With what the trailer you are looking at is weight wise, you want the heavier duty tranny. I personally don't care for the way the Aisin shifts (have the most recent software update), as I need a neck collar at times, but if you are getting the RAM, the smaller tranny is going to be working a lot harder.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the SO diesel transmission combo and have been more than satisfied pulling at my weights (~15k).
    My '14 Ram had 100k miles, pulling the trailer often, in the West coast though many mountains. Not a single issue. Only thing I didn't like was the 3.42 rear end.

My '21 has the SO and 68RFE as well. Feels better with the 3.73 gear and the transmission shifts great; no complaints.

Since you're looking at DRW, with 4.10 rear, I think either motor/trans combo will serve you well.

The 68RFE is a bit smoother, but many swear by the reliability of the Aisin.
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW