Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First flat tire - Changed myself - Replace all four?

Had my first flat tire yesterday. The TPMS was down to 33PSI and luckily I was watching it close because the tire looked a little low to me when we started driving 10 minutes earlier.

We were able to pull off in a mile and park in a nice shaded church parking lot to figure it out. I ended up lifting the tire off the ground with jacks. I know they don't recommend this but our trailer is relatively light and we've seen tires go off the ground in leveling process with no apparent issues. I just made sure to loosen/tighten lug nuts with tire on the ground.

The spare is a Westlake Super ST brand new and I was able to get it on with no issues. We drove on it for a couple hours yesterday with no problems. We're planning on driving on it another 2hrs today.

Now I need to decide what to do with replacement. Our RV was purchased new in March with new Goodyear Endurance tires. They now have about 15,000 miles on them. You can see their wear in the image below. They have plenty of miles on them still but I will not plan on running them too old. I'd rather replace them sooner.

My next step is taking it to tire shop to ask if they can repair it. I know the damage on the outside of the tire is less often repairable.

1. Would you guys repair this one and drive on it IF it is repairable? I've had car tires repaired before but never trailer tires.

2. Any point in pursuing warranty with Grand Design on these Goodyear tires?

3. Would you replace one tire in this case if it is unrepairable? Would you worry about uneven tires and uneven wear? I'm doing a 1 year inspection in January 2022 and planned to change tires then. We'll probably do another 4,000 miles before then.

I guess if the tire is repairable, I could decide to drive on the spare and keep the repaired goodyear tire as a spare until we get 4 new tires in January.

Thanks for your input!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tire1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	36972

Name:	tire2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	36973
    Last edited by RyanJBow; 10-01-2021 at 10:45 AM.
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 278BH - 150 Series 5th Wheel
    2020 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJBow View Post
    Had my first flat tire yesterday. The TPMS was down to 33PSI and luckily I was watching it close because the tire looked a little low to me when we started driving 10 minutes earlier.

We were able to pull off in a mile and park in a nice shaded church parking lot to figure it out. I ended up lifting the tire off the ground with jacks. I know they don't recommend this but our trailer is relatively light and we've seen tires go off the ground in leveling process with no apparent issues. I just made sure to loosen/tighten lug nuts with tire on the ground.

The spare is a Westlake Super ST brand new and I was able to get it on with no issues. We drove on it for a couple hours yesterday with no problems. We're planning on driving on it another 2hrs today.

Now I need to decide what to do with replacement. Our RV was purchased new in March with new Goodyear Endurance tires. They now have about 15,000 miles on them. You can see their wear in the image below. They have plenty of miles on them still but I will not plan on running them too old. I'd rather replace them sooner.

My next step is taking it to tire shop to ask if they can repair it. I know the damage on the outside of the tire is less often repairable.

1. Would you guys repair this one and drive on it IF it is repairable? I've had car tires repaired before but never trailer tires.
    If you are willing to run on a repaired tire on your vehicle, then I would on a trailer.

Probably not, If its road damage, warranty wont apply anyway

3. Would you replace one tire in this case if it is unrepairable? Would you worry about uneven tires and uneven wear? I'm doing a 1 year inspection in January 2022 and planned to change tires then. We'll probably do another 4,000 miles before then.

I guess if the tire is repairable, I could decide to drive on the spare and keep the repaired Goodyear tire as a spare until we get 4 new tires in January.

Thanks for your input!

If your replacing them in a couple of months anyway then I would do them at the same time. Uneven tires wouldn't bother me, but if your replacing them that often then what do you do in January? Replace it again or does that tire run 3 months longer than the rest if you replacing on a yearly basis?
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sticker is on my 2600RB. If the wheels (and tires) are from Lion's Head, they are supposed to be warranteed for a year.
    You can go to their website and find the necessary forms.

Name:	IMG_2422.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	36985
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the tire can be repaired ( I would want a patch, not a plug), I would consider putting the repaired tire on as a spare and run with the Westlake until you replace them all, then put the Westlake as the spare. If it has to be replaced, I would consider replacing two now, then two later...just my opinion.
    Jeff
    Jeff & Sherry
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2019 F150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4,
    HDPP, Max Tow, 6.5, ProPride

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess if the tire is repairable, I could decide to drive on the spare and keep the repaired goodyear tire as a spare until we get 4 new tires in January.

Thanks for your input!

I will take a wag here and say you are on the road. I would be tempted to replace two and rotate the Westlake spare out with the slightly worn Goodyear for the spare and when you get home consider maybe replacing the other two.
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as the penny in the tread, don't forget that Goodyear Endurance tires start off with less tread than a normal tire.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    This sticker is on my 2600RB. If the wheels (and tires) are from Lion's Head, they are supposed to be warranteed for a year.
    You can go to their website and find the necessary forms.

Name:	IMG_2422.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	36985
    Yeah, we had that sticker too and registered for that warranty. They were a little confused when we called for roadside assistance and asked who are coverage was with. We gave up on them and I also read in their paperwork that it doesn't cover other brands including Goodyear.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McDugals View Post
    If the tire can be repaired ( I would want a patch, not a plug), I would consider putting the repaired tire on as a spare and run with the Westlake until you replace them all, then put the Westlake as the spare. If it has to be replaced, I would consider replacing two now, then two later...just my opinion.
    Jeff
    Yeah, this is what I'm leaning toward. I guess I could also buy a new Goodyear Endurance but keep it as spare until I get ready to replace all 4. Then I'll at least be getting 4 new at the same time. I would then just run on the Westlake until January.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
    I will take a wag here and say you are on the road. I would be tempted to replace two and rotate the Westlake spare out with the slightly worn Goodyear for the spare and when you get home consider maybe replacing the other two.
    Yes, we've been on the road full time 6 months and that's where the 15k miles came from. We'll be on the road another 4k miles up until January. That's a good thought. Replacing 2 rather than 1 did cross my mind.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    As far as the penny in the tread, don't forget that Goodyear Endurance tires start off with less tread than a normal tire.
    Didn't know this but I was kinda wondering. They do seem very low compared to the tread on the new Westlake spare.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll update later on my progress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast