User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 390rk Factory Customization Weights

We ordered a 2021 390rk with the following upgrades: Automotive Paint, 3rd AC w/heat pump, Gen prep, 5 Slide Topper Awnings, Dual Pane Windows. I noticed the base model [without factory customizations] had an unladen weight UVW of 14,562 lbs. When we took delivery of our customized rig the UVW was registered by GD at 14,788 lbs. A difference of only 226 lbs.

My research has thus far resulted in the following findings; The AC alone is 89 lbs and Gen Prep is 60 added lbs. I have been informed by a GD employee the Dual Pane Windows add over 500 lbs alone. The Automotive Paint has been estimated at around 200 lbs. The estimated weight of each slide topper is 25 lbs or 125 lbs for five.

Adding this all up equals at least 975 lbs!

Also, GD indicated during our factory tour the walls are automatically upgraded when Automotive Paint is ordered. I can only assume this upgrade adds a fair amount of weight as well.

Am I missing something here?

Finally, when I weighed the 390rk after taking out ALL weights of ALL of our stuff and with ALL tanks empty it comes in at 16,600 lbs UVW. Is it possible the factory required wall upgrade for adding Automotive paint adds approx 1063 lbs to the UVW? (14562+975-16600) The GVWR for the 5'r is 16,800 lbs. Did we get a Solitude with massive storage compartments that can only handle 200 lbs of total storage capacity after all upgrades?

Interested in the communities thoughts on this and if anyone else's math for their Solitude pencils out similarly.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Freenerd; 10-01-2021 at 03:12 PM. Reason: More detail

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One simple question. What does the sticker on your as-delivered coach say? The CCC printed reflects the build. This is the yellow sticker on the side of your entry door.
    Last edited by geotex1; 10-01-2021 at 04:27 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The yellow sticker on the side of the entry door indicates 1952 lbs of cargo max. If I added 1952 lbs of cargo the certified GVWR would be exceeded by 1752 lbs based on 16,800 being the max GVWR indicated on the sticker by the propane tank door on the driver side of the rig.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now, what does your scale sheet, included in owner package, list. Every unit is weighed after it leaves the line at GD, and that scale setup is quite accurate.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freenerd View Post
    We ordered a 2021 390rk with the following upgrades: Automotive Paint, 3rd AC w/heat pump, Gen prep, 5 Slide Topper Awnings, Dual Pane Windows. I noticed the base model [without factory customizations] had an unladen weight UVW of 14,562 lbs. When we took delivery of our customized rig the UVW was registered by GD at 14,788 lbs. A difference of only 226 lbs.

My research has thus far resulted in the following findings; The AC alone is 89 lbs and Gen Prep is 60 added lbs. I have been informed by a GD employee the Dual Pane Windows add over 500 lbs alone. The Automotive Paint has been estimated at around 200 lbs. The estimated weight of each slide topper is 25 lbs or 125 lbs for five.

Adding this all up equals at least 975 lbs!

Also, GD indicated during our factory tour the walls are automatically upgraded when Automotive Paint is ordered. I can only assume this upgrade adds a fair amount of weight as well.

Am I missing something here?

Finally, when I weighed the 390rk after taking out ALL weights of ALL of our stuff and with ALL tanks empty it comes in at 16,600 lbs UVW. Is it possible the factory required wall upgrade for adding Automotive paint adds approx 1063 lbs to the UVW? (14562+975-16600) The GVWR for the 5'r is 16,800 lbs. Did we get a Solitude with massive storage compartments that can only handle 200 lbs of total storage capacity after all upgrades?

Interested in the communities thoughts on this and if anyone else's math for their Solitude pencils out similarly.

Thanks in advance.
    The weight on the sticker is supposed to be how it left the factory. The 14,788 + 60lbs of propane subtracted from 16,800 = your 1,952 of payload. But that doesn't account for even a single battery. But It does seem a little optimistic. My 375 which lists a 14,200 UVW and is basically the same size left the factory at 15,392. I have all the same options as you but also a generator and 8K axles.

I don't believe dual pane adds 500lbs. The windows may weigh 500lbs in total but its not adding 500. The glass panes are 1/8" thick which weigh about 1.6lbs psf. So unless there is 300 +/- sq ft of glass it can't add that much. I estimate my 375 has about 125 sq ft of windows. Which translates to about 200 lbs. 200 + 200 for both panes plus about 100lbs or so for the frames sounds about right.

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't any difference in wall construction when doing FBP. I toured the factory while mine was being built. Outside of the unpainted front cap and black instead of white on the slide-out sides, I didn't notice any difference. I also cut a hole in the side for a cord reel and nothing looked special

Something seems off with the number you got when you weighed it. Even with MorRyde IS added (700lbs +) and additional batteries I scaled out at less than 16,600 empty. I believe it was around 16,400 but I cant remember the exact number.

I would not buy one of these large units without the upgraded 8k axles. It bumps the GVWR up to 18k. The weight adds up fast.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your feedback. That is super helpful in my quest to figure this out.
    We had what is known as a covid coach. Meaning it was on the production line when the 2020 shutdown happened. It sat on the line for the duration of the shutdown. We had well over 2 dozen problems discovered post PDI. A good number of which were major. The PDI was done by a 3rd party as GD had not yet reramped their internal PDI team. The 3rd party PDI was subpar. Many quality assurance issues were missed during production apparently due to the shutdown which we get given the big workforce turnover.
    We brought our 390 back to GD earlier this year for them to fix the then known issues. They did a fantastic job and fixed our entire list. My goal in this post is to better understand what happened differently to our rig to result in such a large weight discrepancy and ensure it is ultimately corrected. This research will hopefully identify what happened.
    Thanks again

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freenerd View Post
    I noticed the base model [without factory customizations] had an unladen weight UVW of 14,562 lbs. When we took delivery of our customized rig the UVW was registered by GD at 14,788 lbs. A difference of only 226 lbs.
    The weight you are using (14,562) is the published weight for the AVERAGE 390RK coming off the assembly line, not a base model with no options.

They don't build a stripped out model, then weigh it.

They weigh every unit that is built of a certain model, then publish the average off the line weight.

Also, the only difference between the walls of FBP and regular units is the gelcoat. The units getting painted have a slightly different finish than the ones that are getting decals. No "upgrades" like extra thickness or anything....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Now, what does your scale sheet, included in owner package, list. Every unit is weighed after it leaves the line at GD, and that scale setup is quite accurate.
    I would not consider their scale system as accurate
    There was a discussion I had months ago about my 2400bh being 400 lbs lighter than another person on here
    And hearing more recent stories I believe the units are weighed just after tanks are tested and are not always drained before weighing
    This system of Grand Design weighing is poor IMO

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I would not consider their scale system as accurate
    There was a discussion I had months ago about my 2400bh being 400 lbs lighter than another person on here
    And hearing more recent stories I believe the units are weighed just after tanks are tested and are not always drained before weighing
    This system of Grand Design weighing is poor IMO

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Unlike yourself, I have been out to the factory and not only watched the scaling of the units but also saw the calibration being done and had my own coach re-weighed while at the FSC since it scales by wheel position. Jived very well with the axle scales at my plant in S.Dakota where I rolled over then after the long layover in Indiana. Can't say if the surge has someone being sloppy about tanks - wasn't the SOP when I was there last November, but I'd fully expect a couple/few hundred pounds of variation against seemingly identical builds because the components of assembly are all over the map still.