User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Residential frig vs a 12v/LP

Newbe here. I am hearing the 12v/LP frig have a hard time cooling if you open the doors frequently. Still deciding on a reflection or S-class but wondering on what people think about Frig types and cooling? Should I upgrade to the residential type? I will be hooked up at RV parks and not much boondocking. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our last 2 have had a residential fridge and I hope to never go back to a LP. Our last one came with two batteries and never had any problems while traveling. This one only came with one and I figured I would need to install another but so far no problem after 1 1/2 years. This past Sun we drove 13 1/2 hrs. and it was 38 in fridge and -2 in freezer when we left camp ground. When we arrived home it was 38 and -2. I'm going to go a little longer on this battery and then swap out for 2 6v. It does have the truck to help keep it charged and we do not do any boondocking. Just like having your big fridge at home.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oildriller View Post
    Newbe here. I am hearing the 12v/LP frig have a hard time cooling if you open the doors frequently. Still deciding on a reflection or S-class but wondering on what people think about Frig types and cooling? Should I upgrade to the residential type? I will be hooked up at RV parks and not much boondocking. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Quite positive all lines have or will be switching over to the Furrion 12v compressor fridge

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our first had a two way RV fridge , and we really didn’t like it , especially my wife. Cooling was inconsistent and recovery time too long. Have had a Samsung residential for 3&1/2 years now and would never go back. I haven’t had any experience with the 12V compressor fridges that seem to be more prevalent now , but I would think they should perform about like a conventional residential appliance.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the key differentiator is whether you plan to Boondock or not.

For us, we like to Boondock and spend our overnights in places like Harvest Hosts. Consequently, we prefer the standard 120v/LP fridge.

For reference, just this past week we camped in the FL heat (88 degrees +) and I had trouble keeping our fridge above freezing. To be fair we had to get our fridge replaced and the new installer installed it right using all of the tricks he had learned over his 22+ year career to get the best performance out of our fridge as is possible.

That being said, we have never had much problems with our LP fridges keeping up with the high FL outside temperatures. As an aside, I don't need my ice cream frozen solid because, I like it softened up before I eat it.

I think the 12v compressor style would be an excellent option for anyone thinking about Boondocking, especially if they were planning on having at least one 100ah Lithium battery.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to clarify a bit... the RV absorption refrigerators don't "run" on 12VDC. They require 12VDC for the control circuits whether they are on propane or electric, but the the electric heating elements (when on shore power) require 117VAC. As @NB Canada alluded to, some lines have switched to 12VDC compressor refrigerators. Perhaps @huntr70 could chime in and tell us which lines are using this type and which may in the near future.

That said, our first 4-1/2 years full-time were with a 12 cu. ft. Norcold RV absorption refrigerator (LP/AC). We had nothing but trouble with it and had to replace the entire cooling unit once. As others have said, it cooled inconsistently. We ordered our Solitude with the residential refrigerator option (117VAC compressor refrigerator just like in a house with lithium batteries and solar to support it when not on shore power). We are extremely happy with that decision and, since we don't boondock, will not go back to an absorption refrigerator.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, everything except for Solitude and Momentum units will now run 12 volt compressor driven refers.

LP/110 refers are still available in Solitude and Momentum, along with 12 volt refers in Momentum travel trailer models and residential units in Solitude and other Momentum lines.

Transcend has been 12 volt for a while now. Imagine has transitioned to 12 volt (same Furrion refer as Transcend) and standard solar package, Reflection is also now 12 volt and standard solar.

Pic of the new Furrion side by side refer in Reflections.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ref refer 1.jpg   ref refer 2.jpg  
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Residential fridge option was one of the best decisions we made in our 310gk-r.
    2004 Volvo VNL 15L Cummins 600hp/2250tq 12spd Automatic
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R Full Paint mounted on 52ft PJ Low deck
    2020 Ford Raptor or RockCrawler mounted on the deck ;-)