User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacific Fisher View Post
    Just picked up our new 2022 Solitude in San Bernardino, CA and pulled a number of 6% grades (and some over) up US 395 with no problem. Very happy I chose the 7.3 Godzilla. Disk brakes on the Solitude made for solid/even braking.
    Glad you are happy with the 7.3. I am currently looking into getting the 7.3. I will be towing a 2500RL and have reached out to others who have posted here for their take on the truck. What size is the fuel tank. Currently living in the Sierra foothills and looking forward to getting out again soon. Strange weather in the area this week with the State closing four passes through the Sierras because of snow fall.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hangtown2500RL View Post
    Glad you are happy with the 7.3. I am currently looking into getting the 7.3. I will be towing a 2500RL and have reached out to others who have posted here for their take on the truck. What size is the fuel tank. Currently living in the Sierra foothills and looking forward to getting out again soon. Strange weather in the area this week with the State closing four passes through the Sierras because of snow fall.
    Short bed is 34 gallon tank. Long bed is 48 gallon. I wish I got a long bed for this reason. Also most extra tanks you can put in the bed are for diesel only.
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timkoenig View Post
    Short bed is 34 gallon tank. Long bed is 48 gallon. I wish I got a long bed for this reason. Also most extra tanks you can put in the bed are for diesel only.
    Do they still make gas trucks?
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How easy is it to find a gas station with enough clearance, and a station that actually posts what the clearance is? That's what's nice about the diesel is never worrying about clearance at a truck stop. Only worry at times is finding a truck stop!
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stop at the larger gas stations, always look at the clearance and know my height, never been at one that had clearance issues. But I have been at some very busy stations and had to wait for the end pump or a straight out exit. Always try to position so that we can pull out. Had to back out a couple of times and that is not good, even with three cameras. I think my 34 gallon gas tank is too small but the biggest tanks with GM and Ram are right at this size. Ford 48 gallon tank would be great. I found one manufacturer that does in bed gas tanks but it was going to be at least $1500 and it takes away bed space.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When out in rural areas/roads it is much easier to find gas stations than truck stops. I have the long bed with 48 gallon tank and never ran short of fuel.
    I am done with diesels. With my previous Ford diesel the hard part was swallowing the expense of "Step One" in the manual for any significant engine repair. "Remove cab from vehicle"
    Open the hood of a diesel and open the hood of a Ford with Godzilla V8. On the diesels there is almost no room to do even basic repairs. On the Godzilla the; spark plugs, belts, water pump, alternator, starter are right there for easy removal and replace. No having to remove layers of covers and other systems. Not many folks who do their own repairs are going to want to remove a truck cab.
    On my serious shakedown run up and down the California mountain region and winding coastal roads I established to great satisfaction that my Godzilla will handle pulling my Solitude in any situation I will encounter.
    Last edited by Pacific Fisher; 10-10-2021 at 11:17 AM.
    2022 Soulitude 310 GK Disc Brakes, Solar, Onan LP
    2021 F350 CC LB 7.3 Godzilla, 430 Gears, B&W Companion, Morryde Pin Box, Garmin 890 RV GPS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For folks concerned about running low on fuel and gas station heights a simple solution is to store an empty 5 gallon gas can, park close to the station and fill/refuel as necessary.
    2022 Soulitude 310 GK Disc Brakes, Solar, Onan LP
    2021 F350 CC LB 7.3 Godzilla, 430 Gears, B&W Companion, Morryde Pin Box, Garmin 890 RV GPS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacific Fisher View Post
    For folks concerned about running low on fuel and gas station heights a simple solution is to store an empty 5 gallon gas can, park close to the station and fill/refuel as necessary.
    Or, get a momentum like I'm doing. If I have to use the tank for the truck I deserve to unhitch. On the bright side, it's there if I need it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am new to this site. I am buying a Solitude 310GK and am researching the truck I need. I have never owned a Diesel truck and am hesitant to purchase one. The F350 7.3 Gas engine feels like what I need. I have not not noticed if you stated yours was a Dually or not. Do you think a Dually is necessary with this setup? Did you feel comfortable with the breaking of this gas engine vs. a Diesel one with a 15,000 pound trailer? I believe you stated you have the 4.30 axle. Do you believe the 3.73 axle could pull this 15000 pound RV safely? I think it is rated for 16000 pounds with a 4x4 long box.

Thanks for the help

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCOlson View Post
    I am new to this site. I am buying a Solitude 310GK and am researching the truck I need. I have never owned a Diesel truck and am hesitant to purchase one. The F350 7.3 Gas engine feels like what I need. I have not not noticed if you stated yours was a Dually or not. Do you think a Dually is necessary with this setup? Did you feel comfortable with the breaking of this gas engine vs. a Diesel one with a 15,000 pound trailer? I believe you stated you have the 4.30 axle. Do you believe the 3.73 axle could pull this 15000 pound RV safely? I think it is rated for 16000 pounds with a 4x4 long box.

Thanks for the help
    I am pretty happy with the 7.3 F250 with my 240RL but it is at least 4000 lbs lighter than your rig. I have the 355 axle but with the 10 speed it doesn't really matter that much, I just never get to 10th gear unless going down hill. The 355 will give better gas mileage when not towing. With your rig I would want a diesel dually just because I want to run 75-80 mph when lack of traffic and sight distance allows. You could definitely pull your rig with a camper special F250 or single tire F350 but you could pull it better with a dually. I would probably get the F450 just for the turning radius. With any of the long bed Fords you will get a 48 gallon fuel tank.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast