User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best RV Back-up / Observation Camera

I'm looking at purchasing a Back-up / Observation Camera for my 22rbe and see that there are several complaints about the Furrion.

So what is the best camera? I want one that performs well on the road as well as backing up and I want good night vision.

Thanks in advance

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife is my backup camera....but she's not for sale.
    Jeff & Sherry
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2019 F150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4,
    HDPP, Max Tow, 6.5, ProPride

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McDugals View Post
    My wife is my backup camera....but she's not for sale.
    That's why I want a back-up camera ... I want to stay married.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine too..... but would like a "more" accurate version.... Not to even mention the "nany" warning system she provides when pulling the trailer....... LOL!

Tell you what..... I know theres no UFO's, cause she would have seen them!
    Last edited by trailrydr; 10-03-2021 at 11:04 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    I'm looking at purchasing a Back-up / Observation Camera for my 22rbe and see that there are several complaints about the Furrion.

So what is the best camera? I want one that performs well on the road as well as backing up and I want good night vision.

Thanks in advance
    If you use the search function in this forum you will find several threads on rear cameras. Just off the top, Haloview is usually a popular one and cheaper than the Furrion.

As others have said, my DW is my back-up camera. A camera should never be a substitute for a human spotter.

I have towed our 35 foot Imagine about 8,000 miles this past year. I have not found I need a camera. When we purchased our trailer I was going to put one on right away. After researching cameras and mostly mixed reviews on all rear observation cameras I decided to use the trailer and then decide if we needed a camera. I have determined I do not need or want a rear camera.

They are one of those those things, IMHO, that are more of a wow factor than an actual benefit. I consider the following, rear observation camera are:

One more screen in the cab that I don't need.
    One more distraction to take my eyes off the road in front of me.
    More tech to have to mess with and get to work.
    One more thing to break.
    Signal lag- showing me what was behind me 2 seconds ago is unacceptable.
    Signal loss- common problem with longer trailers.

And, there are complaints about every RV camera. If your complaints are about Furrion then they are worth more because Furrion is over priced compared to other products in the RV camera market.

Putting that $5.00 mounting bracket on the back of every trailer built is the biggest boost they could have done for the RV camera market.

I was washing my trailer Friday and was thinking about taking my Furrion bracket off because it is creating black streaks down the back of my trailer.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have one (a Furrion), but to add to what others have said, it's not that useful. My wife is an excellent spotter and we use two-way radios while backing into a site. She gets me situated much better than I could do it with the camera. The camera is somewhat useful for double-checking when to pull back over after passing a semi or something, but the tow mirrors (flat and convex) on our F350 do a very good job of that, too. If I were to do it again, I would probably not bother with installing one (we moved the one we have from our previous rig).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the 5" Haloview on the MLE. I located the screen in the lower left corner of the windshield. It doesn't interfere with the forward view. I use it mostly for the highway lane changes and tailgater views. I'm more of a mirror guy when backing up.
    That stated, I like the camera. It works very well.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I would agree that a personal spotter can be a cheaper and possibly more helpful than a camera, but I also think that cameras have there place too.

I have been off roading for over 30yrs, and have used spotters to help with tire placement on/in/around obstacles, and yes they have been very helpful. But, nothing can be better than being able to see exactly whats in front or behind of you when it comes to manuvering a vehicle. Even backing a vehicle the spotter is usaully looking at mirrors to communicate, but "typically" not behind them or the trailer.

Having a camera can be a bonus in verifying both the spotters suggestions, terrain features, and distance to obstacles behind/infront/side of a vehicle. Humans make mistakes.... thus, four eyes are always better than two.

PS. I too dislike the Furion camera mount setup. Had issues with water leakage from it.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Halo three camera system (two are side marker light replacements). I had the rear camera and a side marker camera stop working and Halo warranty service was very good. I have the wife on a walkie talkie when backing into a site but have learned to look at the cameras instead of asking her questions. Also I find the cameras very useful backing into the storage place solo.
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spotters detect limbs from branches that back up cams miss.

I do want a back up cam on my Lance Truck camper though...for backing up with boat hitched up.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast