User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Class A

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Texas Class A

This one starting to make me wish I kept the three-quarter ton as the tow vehicle. For those who have done it, how hard is it to get a Texas class a license? Do you have to test with the RV? If so, what sort of maneuvers are required?
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t have a normal Texas class A, I have a Texas CDL class A with air brake endorsement for driving a semi-truck. Have a driver at work recently get his CDL class A and the pre-trip was the hardest part of the test especially if you have been actually driving for awhile and you are a safe driver. And yes the class A requires you to drive the vehicle with the trailer that you would normally drive. Again not sure about the testing difference between just the regular class A and the CDL class A, I do know they are different requirements but not sure what the difference is between the testing for each.
    2020 Solitude 380FL
    2020 F250 4dr
    2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    This one starting to make me wish I kept the three-quarter ton as the tow vehicle. For those who have done it, how hard is it to get a Texas class a license? Do you have to test with the RV? If so, what sort of maneuvers are required?
    Not hard, 2 written tests. Yes drive with the RV.

It was in 2018, 2 Written Tests:
    Texas CDL Special Requirements Test (CVO Knowledge Test) from CMV Section 14
    Combinations Test from CMV Section 6

Skills Test (Driving), schedule after passing written tests.
    Tow Vehicle + FW
    Driving Test given by same Driving Testers as for normal autos, pickups.
    Tester checked lights on truck and RV.
    Backup in straight line for 50 feet
    Street & Hwy/Freeway driving and back to test location.

https://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/1253...-upgrade-faqs/

https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/dr...driver-license
    https://www.dps.texas.gov/Rolodex/cd...hTestSites.htm
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @gbkims gave you all the info you need. Read the thread on the Escapees forum from the beginning to the end (it tracks changes and updates). I only had to take one written test, though, plus the driving test with the rig (backed up in a straight line in the parking lot and then normal stuff around El Paso). A lot of folks will get their panties in a wad over driving the rig to the testing site. I did and the examiner didn't say a word about it.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm supposed to have a non-commercial class A in South Carolina. Anything with a GVWR >26K, which I do (14K truck, 16.8 trailer).

A few reasons I don't. First off, nobody has one. I called and went to DMV, they had to look it up. No idea that there was a "CDL" that's not a "CDL". No problem with that, but apparently, it's a rarely (perhaps never) enforced rule?

The real issue is the test. I had a loading dock requirement where you need to get within either 1ft or 6in (can't remember) backing into a loading dock. No cameras allowed.

That's an insane requirement by itself, add in doing it with an RV (rather than a semi trailer which are designed to "bump" against the dock). I asked about it, and they suggested I borrow/rent a trailer I wouldn't mind hitting on a loading dock. I actually do have one I can use, but you have to be >26K, so I can't use my small landscape trailer.

I then asked "how do I get there/back" (to/from the test), to which they replied, "Well, never thought of that, guess you have to hire someone".

I mean, the entire thing was like popsicle sticks and glue. I'm happy to take a test, however, I'll never be taking an RV to a loading dock. Nor will I ever be backing down an alley into a 90 degree turn. I can't even get my RV to 90, but I could do that with one of my other trailers, so, while I'm not happy about it, that part is actually "doable" for me.

TLDR, if you don't have someone in SC with a CDL, and don't have another heavy trailer you can hook up for the test, good luck trying to get the "right" license. Also, the funny thing, I've never been >26K with my truck/trailer. Yes, the rating on my truck is 14K and my trailer is 16.8, but my truck actually weighs about 9K, even with a loaded to the gills trailer, it would be hard to cross 26K.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    I'm supposed to have a non-commercial class A in South Carolina. Anything with a GVWR >26K, which I do (14K truck, 16.8 trailer).

A few reasons I don't. First off, nobody has one. I called and went to DMV, they had to look it up. No idea that there was a "CDL" that's not a "CDL". No problem with that, but apparently, it's a rarely (perhaps never) enforced rule?

The real issue is the test. I had a loading dock requirement where you need to get within either 1ft or 6in (can't remember) backing into a loading dock. No cameras allowed.

That's an insane requirement by itself, add in doing it with an RV (rather than a semi trailer which are designed to "bump" against the dock). I asked about it, and they suggested I borrow/rent a trailer I wouldn't mind hitting on a loading dock. I actually do have one I can use, but you have to be >26K, so I can't use my small landscape trailer.

I then asked "how do I get there/back" (to/from the test), to which they replied, "Well, never thought of that, guess you have to hire someone".

I mean, the entire thing was like popsicle sticks and glue. I'm happy to take a test, however, I'll never be taking an RV to a loading dock. Nor will I ever be backing down an alley into a 90 degree turn. I can't even get my RV to 90, but I could do that with one of my other trailers, so, while I'm not happy about it, that part is actually "doable" for me.

TLDR, if you don't have someone in SC with a CDL, and don't have another heavy trailer you can hook up for the test, good luck trying to get the "right" license. Also, the funny thing, I've never been >26K with my truck/trailer. Yes, the rating on my truck is 14K and my trailer is 16.8, but my truck actually weighs about 9K, even with a loaded to the gills trailer, it would be hard to cross 26K.
    The OP was asking about Texas - where it is not a joke and you can be cited for driving without a license if you don't have a Class A Non-Commercial Exempt and your CGVWR is over 26,001 lbs. Texas tells you exactly which sections in the CDL manual to study and both the written and driving tests are easy.

According to ChangingGears, it's a class E or F in South Carolina.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not hard to get the non-commercial class A license in Texas. There's supposedly two written tests, although I was only given one. The employee at the testing center was not familiar with the license at all and tried to tell me it was not needed to pull a trailer, until I suggested he checks with his supervisor. On the driving day, I just had to drive around on the highway for about 15min then back to the testing center.
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    They got you covered, a little time involved but its a piece of cake.
    From this Texas Class A Non-CDL Exempt licensed driver.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just have my driving test to complete in December (first appt available at a CDL hub near me). Although I hold a Class B CDL for bus driving, it won’t cover my newer GVWR for my combination (rated over $26k, but never realized). The only reason I’m obtaining a Class A is to make dang sure that if I ever had an at-fault mishap while towing the Solitude, my Insurer could not withhold any coverage because I was not properly licensed in my state.

That alone makes it worth the hassle.
    Home is where you park it!
    2021 Solitude 380FL
    2014 Silverado 3500HD LTZ DRW 6.6L Duramax Allison 6 Speed
    RVing since 1996; Full Time since 2018

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why I’m going to domicile in Florida 😌

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast