User Tag List

Thread: a/c goes off

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a/c goes off

My new converter arrived today, so I decided to install it this afternoon. Dug the old one out from under all the wires and found the correct hex tip to change the wires from the old to the new. I unplugged the old converter and started trying to disconnect the two 6 ga wires. While I was arguing with them, the a/c units both went off. The thermostats both said "LO" which I assume means low voltage.

Since the television and microwave were both on at the time, that tells me that I didn't lose the AC lines. I didn't pay much attention to the lights. This sounds, to me, like the batteries aren't capable of powering things. It has been cloudy and some rain today, so maybe the batteries haven't gotten much charging from the solar panel.

Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to go find a GOOD 5/32" hex wrench to break the connections loose, then quickly switch the wires so that we're not out of a/c for very long.

Question: is the new converter going to help the batteries? Will the solar controller finally behave itself with the new converter? Time will tell.

Another question: I want to repurpose the old converter to charge a sealed 12v battery. The old converter is 45A, which is probably overkill for that battery. Is that going to be a problem? My thought is that the 45A is the maximum that it can put out, and that it will actually put out whatever current is needed up to the maximum.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    My new converter arrived today, so I decided to install it this afternoon. Dug the old one out from under all the wires and found the correct hex tip to change the wires from the old to the new. I unplugged the old converter and started trying to disconnect the two 6 ga wires. While I was arguing with them, the a/c units both went off. The thermostats both said "LO" which I assume means low voltage.

Since the television and microwave were both on at the time, that tells me that I didn't lose the AC lines. I didn't pay much attention to the lights. This sounds, to me, like the batteries aren't capable of powering things. It has been cloudy and some rain today, so maybe the batteries haven't gotten much charging from the solar panel.

Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to go find a GOOD 5/32" hex wrench to break the connections loose, then quickly switch the wires so that we're not out of a/c for very long.

Question: is the new converter going to help the batteries? Will the solar controller finally behave itself with the new converter? Time will tell.

Another question: I want to repurpose the old converter to charge a sealed 12v battery. The old converter is 45A, which is probably overkill for that battery. Is that going to be a problem? My thought is that the 45A is the maximum that it can put out, and that it will actually put out whatever current is needed up to the maximum.
    First. You should NEVER work on the converter with power to the coach! That is playing with fire.

Second. About your second question, you will need to find some way to power it with 50 amps, outside of your existing power to the coach.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark, are you saying that I should disconnect the batteries and the 50A shore power while I'm switching the wires from one to the other? Wouldn't unplugging just the converter be enough?

The existing converter will be removed from under the coffee bar and relocated to the front pass-through where it will charge only one sealed battery. That battery will be used only when I'm playing radio, I plan on plugging the converter in using the outlet in that compartment. I probably won't leave it plugged in and charging the battery all the time, just when the battery needs to be charged.
    Last edited by kb0zke; 07-19-2023 at 08:25 AM.
    David Lininger, kb0zke

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disconnect shore power while working on the converter.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    Mark, are you saying that I should disconnect the batteries and the 50A shore power while I'm switching the wires from one to the other? Wouldn't unplugging just the converter be enough?

The existing converter will be removed from under the coffee bar and relocated to the front pass-through where it will charge only one sealed battery. That battery will be used only when I'm playing radio, I plan on plugging the converter in using the outlet in that compartment. I probably won't leave it plugged in and charging the battery all the time, just when the battery needs to be charged.
    You still have power coming in from the 12v side. Personally, I would disconnect the negative battery cable (or bus), disconnect the 50 amp power, do the work, then reconnect the 12v negative then the 50 amp power. To me, it's about safety. That way I'm sure there is nothing that can bite me. Yes, you can just unplug the converter which isolated it from the 115 vac side, but not from the 12 vdc side until you disconnect the ground.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did disconnect the negative cables from the batteries. I found a wrench in the bottom of the tool box that worked, and got everything switched without any further issues. I had hoped that maybe having the proper converter would encourage the solar controller to remember that it was connected to lithium batteries, but so far that hasn't happened.

The old converter has been mounted in the pass-thru area, where it will be used to charge a small sealed LA battery for when I want to play radio.
    David Lininger, kb0zke