User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection 320MKS Wiring Problem

The two reading lights above the bed stopped working, as well as one light in the basement and the exterior lights along the bottom of the bedroom slide. Pulled out plywood sheet under bed and found four, two wire sets secured to the carpeted floor, all bare. Located three wire connectors that had somehow been pulled off the wires.

Trying to put the wires back connected, but can't figure out which wire goes to which wire. Anyone have any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	37010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	37011
    Torvald
    2021 GD Reflection 320MKS
    Home base in the Pacific Northwest

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torvald View Post
    The two reading lights above the bed stopped working, as well as one light in the basement and the exterior lights along the bottom of the bedroom slide. Pulled out plywood sheet under bed and found four, two wire sets secured to the carpeted floor, all bare. Located three wire connectors that had somehow been pulled off the wires.

Trying to put the wires back connected, but can't figure out which wire goes to which wire. Anyone have any ideas?

Grab a multimeter and start checking for vintage and polarity. One wire will be positive from the battery and one will be negative. Here is what I would do:
    1. Grab one wire and hook it to the positive side of the meter and set the meter to 12vdc.
    2. Touch the negative lead to each of the other wires. If no 12vdc, mark that wire with electrical tape.
    3. Move to the next wire on the positive lead of the meter and repeat step 2.
    4. Continue through the other heads until you find 12vdc. It might be negative 12vdc, so just reverse the leads and now your positive lead is connected to the positive wire coming from the battery and the negative lead is connected to the wire coming from the negative side of the battery.
    5. Try to make sure the light is on. Remove the meter from the circuit and connect one of the four remaining wires to the positive side and touch the negative side to each of the 3 remaining wires. If the light lights up, you have found the positive and negative leads to the light. If not, retry step 5 with a different lead on the positive side. Remember, if you have the right leads, but reverse, the light won't light up, so you need to try with all 4 leads.
    6. Repeat step 5 for the remaining 2 leads.

The plastic connectors are Wago connectors. One connects all the positive wires together and the other connects the negative wires together.

If the Wago connector is broken, use a wire nut.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you don't have a meter here's a few things to look at first.
    Go to your basement storage compartment on the side by the bedroom slideout. Look up at the compartment ceiling near the slide and you should see four cables going up through the floor, two will be small black round cables which feed your Schwintech motors and the other two will be 2 of the pairs of wire you have above. Note the colors on those 2 pairs. Make sure the exterior slide out light switch is off. Go back inside to the 4 pairs of wires and locate the two that match the wiring below ...one of those two pairs will be a constant hot (POS) and a NEG used to feed the bed lights. That might help you get started. You could also pull down one of the overhead lights and see what color wiring goes to it.
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 10-03-2021 at 04:47 PM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    If you don't have a meter here's a few things to look at first.
    Go to your basement storage compartment on the side by the bedroom slideout. Look up at the compartment ceiling near the slide and you should see four cables going up through the floor, two will be small black round cables which feed your Schwintech motors and the other two will be 2 of the pairs of wire you have above. Note the colors on those 2 pairs. Make sure the exterior slide out light switch is off. Go back inside to the 4 pairs of wires and locate the two that match the wiring below ...one of those two pairs will be a constant hot (POS) and a NEG used to feed the bed lights. That might help you get started. You could also pull down one of the overhead lights and see what color wiring goes to it.
    Lol! The electrician goes the "low tech" route, and rightfully so. The engineer guess the "over think it 'cause I'm an engineer" route!

+1 Sparky!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! Followed your advice, along with a little trial and error, only blowing a couple more 7.5 amp fuses and finally found the proper wire configuration. Now, have to get to Home Depot tomorrow to pick up a few cable anchors to secure the wiring to the floor.

Thank you for your great advice!
    Torvald
    2021 GD Reflection 320MKS
    Home base in the Pacific Northwest

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! Followed your advice, along with a little trial and error, only blowing a couple more 7.5 amp fuses and finally found the proper wire configuration. Now, have to get to Home Depot tomorrow to pick up a few cable anchors to secure the wiring to the floor.

Thank you for your great advice!
    Interesting. The meter should not have blown the fuse for the supply wiring. Anyway, glad you got it figured out!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine stopped working. Checked power under bed at connection and no voltage. Light switch in pass through is on and lit.

Name:	20220402_093720.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	39779Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220402_095109.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	39780

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the solution for the lights out over bed and under slideout. Broken connectors under bed in a hidden area. Not under the head area. Where the foot storage area is there is another bottom panel that removes and connections are under there. Broken. 3rd time. Wired differentlyrics now so hopefully when slide is operating it doesn't break apart again. And the color of the wires change at that connection point, so much for the advertising of all wires being color coded.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KDRunner View Post
    Well the solution for the lights out over bed and under slideout. Broken connectors under bed in a hidden area. Not under the head area. Where the foot storage area is there is another bottom panel that removes and connections are under there. Broken. 3rd time. Wired differentlyrics now so hopefully when slide is operating it doesn't break apart again. And the color of the wires change at that connection point, so much for the advertising of all wires being color coded.

I just had to go into the exact same spot under the bed to troubleshoot my exterior underslide LEDs. Removed the false bottom and found no wire nuts on either splice... they weren't even laying under there! My overhead bed lights were barely twisted together and the wires for my exterior purple LEDs under the slideout were pulled apart.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly how mime were. Pulled apart.