User Tag List

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Resolving the cantilever - stabilizer mod

Our S-Class is so much more stable than any prior camper we have owned! However, when the rear living is full of family or friends, there's some bounce due to the cantilever beyond the axles and rearmost stabilizers. Nikki is a light sleeper, so it was challenging with all of our godchildren sleeping over in back!

I made a homegrown receiver style brace that I'm sure many have seen as they have been around a long time before MORryde starting selling one. I actually made mine so it was stored in-place. However, the bicycle rack soon made that just another chore to find somewhere to store... I had relocated the slinky storage long ago, so I made up another homegrown stabilizer setup that spanned the same location the storage tube did, had drop legs, and used a come-along tensioner just like the receiver mount did. Between my bum knee and having to remove it 3 times for belly drop repairs, it got old using it!

Seriously considered getting two additional stabilizer jacks from Lippert and modifying them with an additional telescoping stage for tight stowing that far rearward and operating them individually with their own switches. That was running north of $1200, before modifying, for the jacks delivered and brackets to weld to the frame. Canned that! Considered the electric stabilizers for TTs from Lippert and others and all would need modification for the span and still had the removal hassle for service when needed...

So, I went simple with a pair of swing-down, manual crankers. These are from the same maker as those on my enclosed car carrier. Plenty of capacity, welded to hitch tube steel ends and not the frame, can easily drop the underbelly without removing, and they solve the problem completely! I have been cranking by hand, but a cordless drill and socket would work as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211003_104048.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	37024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211003_104206.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	37025
    Last edited by geotex1; 10-04-2021 at 06:04 AM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice. I've considered something like that when the patio is down and people are walking around in side. Just need a little support way at the back. Where is a good place to shop for something like that?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob - good idea and nicely done as always ! Thanks, for sharing......something to keep in mind for us with our future RVs.

Our vintage 303 has the LCI electric rear stabilizers since auto-level was not available then. These work very well along with JT Strong arms on them and on the front jacks as well.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Hoopy Frood

In my case, I purchased direct from the manufacturer (actually a set of blems at reduced cost and a tiny bit of powdercoat touch up):

https://www.arkcorporation.us

I would expect etrailer would have options as well.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S