User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dry camping - lights dim when water pump runs

Is this normal? We dont do a lot of dry camping but when we do we notice that the main living area overhead lights dim when the water pump runs. Other overhead lights like in the bathroom do not.

Our TT is 2020 Imagine 2500RL.
    --
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL
    2016 Ford F-150 XLT

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe kind of normal. Indicates a voltage drop when a load is on the system, and the pump does pull a fair number of amps. First suspect is the battery getting weaker either due to being discharged or not able to be fully charged. Second would be perhaps a poor connection in the wiring that has higher resistance than normal (poor wire splice, corrosion, etc.) The other lights may be on other circuits, with less things on them and with less wire to get to the battery.
    You can test by being plugged in and disconnecting the battery. The converter will still provide the 12 v. If the lights still dim, then it is something in the circuit. Then becomes a judgement about how bad, and how much you want to chase a problem...
    Last edited by sande005; 10-04-2021 at 08:04 AM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It a common issue. Mine is the same. It's been reported here many times. The water pump is on the same 12v circuit as the ceiling lights. If your pump is close to your fuse panel, you can run a new dedicated circuit for it. A few members have done this with great success. If you search on here there's a few discussions on this. I might be doing this mod next season as I find it annoying.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife didn't mind it but it drove me nuts. I ran a 6ga ground line to the hookup center and wired in a 12V automotive accessory relay. No more flickering and the pump runs faster. The ground line also supports a solar controller and deck-mount converter.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hampal View Post
    Is this normal? We dont do a lot of dry camping but when we do we notice that the main living area overhead lights dim when the water pump runs. Other overhead lights like in the bathroom do not.

Our TT is 2020 Imagine 2500RL.
    Relay is the cure.