Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter Camping-Foaming

We had someone tell us about a friend who spray foamed their undercarriage and was able to make it in below freezing temps with no skirting. Has anyone had experience with this? They said they had a company come out and do it. We planned on going under and foaming the obvious spots we could to prevent rodents but wasn’t sure if it would be beneficial to look into having a professional do it?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never heard this but I would proceed with caution. It's a known fact that components in RV fail eventually. How will you get to it with all the spray foam there. Just my 2 cents worth.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leechantee View Post
    We had someone tell us about a friend who spray foamed their undercarriage and was able to make it in below freezing temps with no skirting. Has anyone had experience with this? They said they had a company come out and do it. We planned on going under and foaming the obvious spots we could to prevent rodents but wasn’t sure if it would be beneficial to look into having a professional do it?
    I don't think you are getting the full story. 'Sprsy foamed their undercarriage . . . " seems to be very vague. Did they drop the underbelly and spray foam above that? As @Ynot4me2 stated, if you spray foam over something and it breaks how do you fix it. Electrical, plumbing, tanks, strapping, etc.

It would certainly be a more permanent and one time thing. I would call up the company and ask them what exactly they do. I know high density spray foam in homes is very effective in insulating.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leechantee View Post
    What model RV do you have?

Most Grand Design rigs can handle some freezing weather while running the furnace as heat.
    KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this thread is over a year old, but I spray foamed my frame rails several years ago on my 310gk and it made a huge improvement in cold weather. I have never had my plumbing freeze at temps well below zero. https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...on-Frame-Rails
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    I know this thread is over a year old, but I spray foamed my frame rails several years ago on my 310gk and it made a huge improvement in cold weather. I have never had my plumbing freeze at temps well below zero. https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...on-Frame-Rails
    Can you reply on the original thread the lasting affects etc?

Thanks, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021