User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need advice solar, lithium and power converter

I have a 2021 Momentum 349M, I am adding a 400w solar charge system with a 40a MPPT charge controller. I am also wanting to add two 100AH lithium batteries to the setup.

My question is.... Will I need to change the shore power charger/converter to support the new batteries? If so recommendations?

I might add a 2000w pure sine wave inverter in the future but for now I just want the solar to keep the batteries charged while it's not on shore power, but then when connected to shore power I want the batteries to fully charge to 100%.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MnemonicGhost View Post
    I have a 2021 Momentum 349M, I am adding a 400w solar charge system with a 40a MPPT charge controller. I am also wanting to add two 100AH lithium batteries to the setup.

My question is.... Will I need to change the shore power charger/converter to support the new batteries? If so recommendations?

I might add a 2000w pure sine wave inverter in the future but for now I just want the solar to keep the batteries charged while it's not on shore power, but then when connected to shore power I want the batteries to fully charge to 100%.
    To answer your first question, yes, you will need to upgrade your converter to one that will charge LiFePO4 batteries. There are many out there. In fact if you search the forum, you will find numerous posts on this exact topic.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    To answer your first question, yes, you will need to upgrade your converter to one that will charge LiFePO4 batteries. There are many out there. In fact if you search the forum, you will find numerous posts on this exact topic.

A new converter will make a big difference on how fast you can charge the lithium batteries. Progressive dynamics is one of the most popular.

FYI, maybe I'm overstepping but I have 2 Battleborn lithium batteries and a progressive dynamics converter for sale in the for sale section.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    A new converter will make a big difference on how fast you can charge the lithium batteries. Progressive dynamics is one of the most popular.

FYI, maybe I'm overstepping but I have 2 Battleborn lithium batteries and a progressive dynamics converter for sale in the for sale section.
    Nope, not over stepping... Just wish I could afford it right now!

Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Nope, not over stepping... Just wish I could afford it right now!

Whoops, I meant to quote the OP.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post

Thanks, I've looked at the PD converters. Are they all universal? Plug and play? Or do I need to know which one will direct fit?

The victron one is a 30a plug and the PD have a 15a plug.... But I have a 50a rig.

Electrical isn't my strong point, fabrication is lol.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The answer to your question is NO you don't need to change it. It will charge your LiFePO4 batteries it just wont charge them to 100%. I believe that it will charge them to 95%. So you can change it latter when the timing is good for you.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 30/50 amp rig doesn't matter. The rule of thumb is to pick one the same size as the one your replacing. In my case it came with a 55 amp converter so I replaced it with the closest to it which is the PD 60 amp unit. You can go bigger but need to make sure the current wiring can handle the larger load or replace it. Going with the same size takes that worry out of the equation. The 55/60 amp converter size is how much DC power it can provide.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does your Momentum have an inverter built in? If it doesn’t I suggest getting one with a built in converter. I upgraded to 2 Renogy lithium batteries and added an Xantrex converter with a built in 1000w inverter. It has a 50w charger built in. You can also get the 2000w version with the 80w charger. I really have no need for the bigger unit so I just went with the 1000w. They are much more affordable than Victron units and so far my stuff has worked great. If you boondock a lot and need a lot of power I’d go Victron but if it’s occasional, save your money. My batteries, wire & misc supplies, and the xantrex unit probably cost 2 grand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 25CB824B-3D2E-4DBB-9163-57952674772D.jpg  
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 278BH (150)
    2022 Ford F-350 Lariat Godzilla SRW
    B&W Companion Ford OEM 20k with Turning Point

2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4 gas (SOLD)
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 21BHE (SOLD)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MnemonicGhost View Post
    Thanks, I've looked at the PD converters. Are they all universal? Plug and play? Or do I need to know which one will direct fit?

The victron one is a 30a plug and the PD have a 15a plug.... But I have a 50a rig.

Electrical isn't my strong point, fabrication is lol.
    This is the one I put in our Solitude. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast