User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year we purchased the FMCA road atlas to use with our long range travels. It notes truck stops in and around the route that you are taking. We also used Google search to find gas/diesel stations that had truck stop areas.

I will use the truck stop diesel pumps if possible. Had many truckers help me when I had a problem with the pump and walk around the trailer with me while checking the tires. Just remember those pumps are set for big rigs and not a 3500, so don't leave the pump or you'll have diesel fuel running all over the place which will slow everything down while they have to do a fuel clean-up. You will not be a popular guy!

If there was a truck behind me and I had to go in to pre-pay I always told him/her what I was having to do. This way they don't think that I'm going in to shop/restroom break or something else. I did get a pilot card before our last trip and it was much easier. I have tried to use my bank debit card but some truck pumps will not accept it. Haven't had a problem with VISA or Discover card.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JMO, but if you're planning on covering fairly large miles, invest in an auxiliary fuel tank. Makes those stops at truck stops a thing of the past. Now you can stop at rest areas, city parks, and other much more pleasant areas.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainman327 View Post

3) There is far more negative feedback for the RV phone apps than for the purchased GPS systems. Are the phone apps adequate for identifying fueling stations with easy access and for overnight boondocking locations?
    While I am not travelling a lot right now, when I had my diesel Class A, I used this web site to check on truck stops. While it has a trip planning function, we used others to actually plan the route. Once we had the route, we plugged it into here to find the actual truck stops. This sites main advantage is that it shows the Google Earth view of all the truck stops. Easy to decide if you can make it or not.

http://www.findfuelstops.com
    Last edited by Rockhound 7; 10-16-2021 at 02:40 PM.
    Jerry and Jack (Standard Schnauzer)

Currently in Benson, AZ

2018 Reflection 315RLTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainman327 View Post
    I am new to the world of RVing. Got a Reflections 337RLS from a family member. I have done a lot of reading on the web, but there are three specific questions I have not really gotten answers to.

I am not unexperienced at puling trailers. I have more than 50k miles pulling boats. My most recent rig was a 30’ LOA, 11,000# fully loaded Amberjack on a tri-axle. It was pulled with a ¾ ton gasser. This rig was pulled to three specific places, the furthest 1000+/- miles away from home. I knew the routes like the back of my hand, new every gas station it was easy to maneuver in and out of and every rest stop along the way. It was the usual plan to do the 1000 mile run in 24 hours. Leaving at around mid day Friday, drive until about 9pm, pull into a truck parking area at a rest stop, sleeping in the boat for several hours, leaving in the middle of the night and completing the run. Arriving mid-day Saturday. However, I can see by all the RVing advice out there that this is not going to work with an RV. With the boat, it was simple, start the Honda inverter, start the A/C and go to sleep. With an RV there is more setup and time needed to get a few hours rest.

My new truck is an F350 Diesel. My first Diesel. So this too has added a new thing to learn. So, here are my questions:

1) When refueling, it is common or taboo to pull into the truck fueling pumps at truck stops? I see this as an easier option for refueling a diesel than pulling a 35’ trailer into the regular auto pumps.

We use the Truck Fueling pumps when necessary but somewhat typically are required to go inside for payment as we don't have their accepted card. Best to estimate what amount you want to pay vs. leaving your card till you are completed! We don't like paying the Loves, Pilot, prices! We have installed a Titan 65 gallon chassis mounted aftermarket fuel tank on our F350. That gives us much better flexibility as to when and where we get fuel. We also carry a 4% fuel discount CC from Costco.

2) Is stopping at a highway rest stop for the night a thing? I understand the premise of 2/2/2 or 3/3/3 planning, but until I retire, I will not necessarily have the luxury of doing this as I learn the ropes and expand my range further from home. Some short stops, just to get some sleep, will be necessary if I want to get to the Rockies with the amount of leave I currently get.

Several of our friends do use the rest stops and have not had any issues. They all carry protection however!

3) There is far more negative feedback for the RV phone apps than for the purchased GPS systems. Are the phone apps adequate for identifying fueling stations with easy access and for overnight boondocking locations?
    We use the Gas Buddy app to locate fuel and to get an idea of prices. We are about to acquire an RV friendly GPS from Garmin to replace our Factory GPS unit as they have not updated their software since 2017 and want too much for it. (Last we checked).

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find this comment regarding the fuel stops very interesting, as we’ve tried in the past to use the diesel fueling stations, but we found that nozzle was bigger than the tank filler. We’ve never been able to use them in Canada.
    I will have to try next trip south!

PMRob+Kath
    I will mostly echo Steven@147,....

1) When refueling, it is common or taboo to pull into the truck fueling pumps at truck stops? I see this as an easier option for refueling a diesel than pulling a 35’ trailer into the regular auto pumps.
    When hitched or if I need DEF, I always use the Truck Lanes/Pumps. Follow the rules and fill/move forward. Never had a problem. A few truckers have approached me to see if I need help, even though I am not having a problem or moving slow. I think they are trying to be pre-emptive and keep me moving. I get it and have no problem with others trying to get their job done. The other drivers have always been courteous and so am I. There are a couple of You-Tube videos out there that will be very helpful on RV's in the Truck Stop.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is a "harvest host" site?
    2023 Rockwood Signature 2442 BS
    2022 Ram 3500 Longhorn Limited , 6.7 CTD, 4x4

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krsmitty View Post
    What is a "harvest host" site?
    Harvest Host is an organization that people can sign up for to allow RVers to camp at different kinds of facilities over night. Some are winery's, some are farms or ranches, some are old air forces bases. We recently stayed over night at a farm in Paris Kentucky. They even had water and 50 amp power but not all Harvest Hosts sites have that kind of amenities. Do a search for Harvest Hosts and you'll get the scoop.

We pay $5 per month as members, then we can search their web site or phone app of Harvest Hosts sites for stop overs while traveling. Once a member then an overnight at a site is free boondocking, at this farm in Paris we paid $20 for overnight for the power and water. It was a very nice place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2759.jpg   IMG_2764.jpg   IMG_2762.jpg   IMG_2766.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 10-17-2021 at 12:15 PM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the exact RV as you....just got a trucker's fuel card (EFS) after a fellow RV forum recommendation and downloaded the TSD Open Roads app. Just did 9 hours driving yesterday, used card first time. LOVE using the spacious trucker pump areas, with high flow diesel pumps. Now I can:
    1) pay at the truck lane pump instead of going in
    2) get 10-30 cents off per gallon at many stops (Loves, TA, etc)
    3) App shows truckers fuel stops on app in your area, discounted price. They are all truck stops.
    4) will cover DEF
    Yesterday fueled three times, each was a 5 min ordeal max.
    Tip....high flow nozzle a little tight, and cuts off frequently. I squeeze half way on handle to prevent at expense of slower flow.
    Anyway, never will look back.
    Question to group as i have not tried....DEF nozzle will fit ok (have Ram 2500)?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teledoc View Post
    I have the exact RV as you....just got a trucker's fuel card (EFS) after a fellow RV forum recommendation and downloaded the TSD Open Roads app. Just did 9 hours driving yesterday, used card first time. LOVE using the spacious trucker pump areas, with high flow diesel pumps. Now I can:
    3) App shows truckers fuel stops on app in your area, discounted price. They are all truck stops.
    4) will cover DEF
    Tip....high flow nozzle a little tight, and cuts off frequently. I squeeze half way on handle to prevent at expense of slower flow.
    Question to group as i have not tried....DEF nozzle will fit ok (have Ram 2500)?
    DEF nozzle fits fine on my F350. TSD will pay for DEF, but no discount.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teledoc View Post
    4) will cover DEF
    Is the EFS truckers fuel card part of the TSD open roads app?

Answered my own question...

I did find this online...

https://www.maxtruckers.com/best-fue...tors-truckers/

https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/
    Last edited by krsmitty; 10-18-2021 at 08:51 AM.
    2023 Rockwood Signature 2442 BS
    2022 Ram 3500 Longhorn Limited , 6.7 CTD, 4x4

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast