User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dually Truck Insurance

I tried searching the forum here first without much luck. I have a late model Ford F450 which is technically a commercial vehicle. My insurance is up for renewal and I thought I'd ask if anyone has a good (re: cheaper haha) carrier recommendation for a 'Commercial Vehicle used as a Personal Vehicle' type policy?

Progressive is who I'm currently with and the premium is $800 higher than last year - ug.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    2018 Ford F450 dragging a 2020 Solitude 310GK-R through the Rocky Mountains and to Corpus Christi and back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What state? That drives a lot of this..

In VA, with USAA, as an additional vehicle on my policy with a 1999 F-250 and a 2013 4Runner, it's $80 a month for new F-450 with full coverage and $500 deductible. It has normal truck insurance.
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure an F450 is a commercial vehicle? I thought the reason for the 14k GVWR was to prevent it from needing to be registered as a commercial vehicle. As stated above, things will vary by state and carrier.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An F450 doesn't necessarily have to be registered as a commercial vehicle - especially if the GVWR on the door sticker is under a certain number. It depends on the state - in your case, Colorado. Check with your DMV or tax assessor/collector to make sure.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on your state (CA I have to register as a commercial vehicle even though not used that way, no choice) you may have to register commercial BUT that doesn't mean you have to insure it that way. State Farm does not insure mine as commercial, just personal use, but still expensive.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have two things you're looking at. Registration and insurance.

Registration varies by local ordinance. Some areas anything over a 3/4 ton is automatically considered commercial for registration.

For insurance, this will vary by company and it's not necessarily by the GVWR. It's the underwriters. Some insurance companies will automatically consider the 450 a commercial vehicle. My assumption is they look at the C&C version for all 450 models but not sure the reasoning. I have NGIC and it's a normal policy but got several quotes and quite a few declined to make an offer due to being a 450.

FWIW, some lenders won't touch the 450 either. My credit union wouldn't put a loan on it, and several others wouldn't either. Ended up with Ford Credit.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was considering an F550. When I spoke to FMCA, they said that as long as I had my trailer covered by Progressive, they could cover the F550 as an RV. If I didn't have the RV insured with Progressive, they wouldn't insure it because it is a commercial vehicle. FMCA said that there are other groups in Progressive that would insure it, but it would be a lot more expensive.

-B
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check your state to see what "actually" qualifies as a commercial vehicle. Many states a vehicle has to meet the "GVWR" AND "available to hire i.e. commerce" to qualify as a commercial vehicle
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Seasoned Camper Dive Bar Casanova's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AAA and don’t look back.
    2020 Momentum 398 M

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dive Bar Casanova View Post
    AAA and don’t look back.
    I was an AAA devotee till they lost my check I sent. They dropped my insurance. I paid over the phone. They reinstated my insurance, but told me they wouldn’t cover the days between due date and when I called in. I said fine, I hadn’t had an accident or needed insurance for the 4 days. I asked for the money to be returned for the 4 days. The agent said ok $23. I never got the check. A week later AAA cashed the check they lost. I called AAA and asked why they cashed the check. They told me they had already cashed the check but had credited it to a wrong account. I asked for my money to be returned, and my $23 also. AAA said they would send me the extra money but not the $23 because since it was AAA’s fault they would cover the days without interruption of insurance.
    To make a long story a little shorter, I had to write to the state insurance commissioner and attorney to ask for fraud investigation before AAA would refund the $23. I had been an AAA customer for 39 years with 1 driving accident. I insured my boat, 2 cars, 1 truck, and 2 homes. So AAA is not the company it used to be.

Soapbox is now available
    Leo & Cathy
    2021 Solitude 390 RK
    2017 F350 DRW Longbed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast