Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV Propane Gas Detector vs Carbon Monoxide Detector

Hello,

My hard-wired Propane Gas Detector keeps going off almost every night, until it just stops after a few minutes of me hitting the Test/Mute button a few times.

But my built-in Carbon Monoxide detectors, as well as my plug-in (w/ battery back-up) Carbon Monoxide detector DO NOT go off simultaneously.

Can someone explain to me the difference ...in layman's terms ?
    And, can anyone suggest what I do about the "Propane detector" ...Is there something more specific I need to check, or might it just be "faulty"?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How old is your rig? Is your detector located near your appliance.
    I suggest you create a signature with your rig info in it to help us help you.
    A low battery can have this affect.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Ok I'll try out the Signature option;
    But in case I didn't do it right, I have a 2020 Imagine 2970-RL, and I've had it for 1.5 yrs.

It's hardwired just above the control panel when you walk in ...which is the big room (kitchen/dining/living).
    It's probably 6-8 feet from the Oven.

And I still have the question about that detector (propane as) vs. the Carbon Monoxide/Smoke detectors hanging from the ceiling.
    Thanks!
    2020 GD Imagine 2970-RL

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master IceMan View Post
    But in case I didn't do it right, I have a 2020 Imagine 2970-RL, and I've had it for 1.5 yrs.

It's hardwired just above the control panel when you walk in ...which is the big room (kitchen/dining/living).

And I still have the question about that detector (propane as) vs. the Carbon Monoxide/Smoke detectors hanging from the ceiling.
    Thanks!
    Propane and carbon monoxide are two different potentially lethal gases , propane fuel is heavier than air thus the detector is located near the floor. Carbon monoxide results from combustion, burning the propane incompletely, will be lighter so the detectors are mounted higher. Both detectors will alarm for low battery power or usually if the detectors have expired, aged out. Age depends on when made not necessarily how old your rig is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master IceMan View Post

Thanks!
    You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tortise View Post
    Propane and carbon monoxide are two different potentially lethal gases , propane fuel is heavier than air thus the detector is located near the floor. Carbon monoxide results from combustion, burning the propane incompletely, will be lighter so the detectors are mounted higher. Both detectors will alarm for low battery power or usually if the detectors have expired, aged out. Age depends on when made not necessarily how old your rig is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for that info!
    My Propane Gas detector is hardwired, but written on it says to replace after 60 months (5 years); so I doubt it's older than that being that the rig itself is only 2 yrs old. Plus, it also says it will flash red/red, green/green at end of life. But I'm only getting the red flash/alarm.

So if I really have a Propane Gas problem, what do I need to do ...Are there things I should check, or should I call someone to do a thorough check?
    2020 GD Imagine 2970-RL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gas detector will stay powered even with the battery turned off with the stock disconnect. I would suggest checking the knobs on the cooktop/oven. Turn off your tanks and see if that solves the problem. That's where I would start. Typically, you can smell propane. If you are still having the problem and are staying in the camper, you might call the local Fire Department. They should have a meter that can check for (and pinpoint) any leaks. It may be a bad detector.
    Jeff & Sherry
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2019 F150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4,
    HDPP, Max Tow, 6.5, ProPride