User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leveling question

Hello all, its been 20 years since I owned a 5th wheel, I have had Class A gas units with auto leveling. Now the Momentum units we are looking at have 6 point auto leveling do you still need to get the RV some what level with blocks before auto leveling? With my class A if one side/front to back is way off I use lego style blocks to bring that side up (under tires and jacks) is this still use?

Thanks
    KC

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kcook2 View Post
    Hello all, its been 20 years since I owned a 5th wheel, I have had Class A gas units with auto leveling. Now the Momentum units we are looking at have 6 point auto leveling do you still need to get the RV some what level with blocks before auto leveling? With my class A if one side/front to back is way off I use lego style blocks to bring that side up (under tires and jacks) is this still use?

Thanks
    KC
    It is recommended to get somewhat level. The leveling jacks, per the manual from Grand Design, should not lift the tires off the ground. We have s 320MKS and, if we are off more than 1.5" side to side, we will use leveling wedges.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have never used anything under the wheels with our Solitude. The trailer has leveled every time and, in a very few cases, the wheels on one side were just barely touching the ground. The hydraulic leveling systems are strong enough to lift the trailer entirely off the ground (each strut is rated far above what is being asked of it). Many of the statements by LCI concerning the leveling systems are CYA for legal purposes. Of course, you have to be careful not to put lateral stresses on the struts or they will bend.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We have never used anything under the wheels with our Solitude. The trailer has leveled every time and, in a very few cases, the wheels on one side were just barely touching the ground. The hydraulic leveling systems are strong enough to lift the trailer entirely off the ground (each strut is rated far above what is being asked of it). Many of the statements by LCI concerning the leveling systems are CYA for legal purposes. Of course, you have to be careful not to put lateral stresses on the struts or they will bend.

Rob
    FWIW I completely agree. A CYA from the builders.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a situation recently where the front legs were fully extended and the weight wouldn’t let us retract. Had to jack up the front to get the legs back up. We now use some blocks under the front and rear all the time. Also started checking side to side before auto leveling.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I understand why "the weight wouldn't let us retract". How would that work? Are you sure that was the reason the legs wouldn't retract? Was this a 4-leg setup or a 6-leg?
    Howard and Peggy

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We too only use blocks under the jacks for leveling with our four point auto level system on our 5er.

Wife and I have started seeing more campgrounds with gravel pads that are high centered, not leveled front to back or side to side. Thinking they probably do this for run off issues (?), does make leveling at times a challenge even with using blocks in trying to keep all tires touching the ground.

In some of these camgrounds, have seen entire rows of campers leveled high sided on two sides with a rear tire on one side barely touching ground. Although so far this seems to be the exception, its a good idea to be prepared for these occasions. Couple of times it took finding the "sweet" spot or least amount of out-of-level to be able to have enough pads to keep all tires touching the ground, slide object avoidance, and adequate utility hookup location. Does possibly maybe make the argument for renting the premium concrete pad sites......

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main issue I can see with tires off the ground, is losing the usefulness of a chock. But, then again, with the wheels off the ground it isn't going to roll anywhere.
    Howard and Peggy

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In "most" cases i would agree with you. But, we have experience high winds in some of these campgrounds that actually shook our trailer while camped. That can be a little unnerving knowing your somewhat high one corner. Not to mention the stress it puts on that high sided rear jack. Having tire, spring and suspension firmly on the ground along with the jacks and rear stabilizers is comforting during those windy times.

Am consider placing a cross brace between the 2 rear jack mounts to help with these types of leveling issues.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I pull into a site, I lay a carpenters level across the floor by the door. If I'm within a half bubble of level side to side, I go ahead and auto level. If not I use enough lego blocks to get me there then I auto level. I always put 5 lego blocks under the rear stabilizers(4 jack system) just to keep the rears from over extending and going into an error. No problems so far.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast