User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions on disc brake conversion

I read over some of the posts regarding the disc brake conversion, which I had planned to do until recently.

When researching the applicable kit for my twin 6000 pound Lippert axles I really liked the way Titan and Kodiak use standard GM brake pads and components. However, my concern arose when looking at the cross reference sheet from Kodiak, the GM brake calipers and pads are for a Chevy Caprice application, my concern is how well does a braking system designed for a 3400 pound car work on my 9500 pound GD 315RLTS? In my opinion the brakes are undersized from the factory as it is and the aftermarket conversion disc brake kits match the specifications of the factory GD brake system.

I fully understand all the benefits of a disc brake system, as long as it is properly sized for the weight it needs to stop.

Has anyone actually conducted a back to back test with a properly adjusted OEM drum setup and than with the disc brake conversion measuring stopping distance? For example at 25 mph with three stops on each setup did you experience a shorter stopping distance?

Feedback regarding actual performance would be greatly appreciated. I was very close to making my purchase until I dug deeper.

Thank you, Saldog

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with digging in but you're taking yourself along the path missing the primary point. The contact area between disc brake and drum brakes is significantly greater for disc. This is why disc can be physically smaller. The clamping force is enormous, especially at 1600 psi at full bore. Being an engineer and gearhead lifer, I don't need G-pad testing to tell me the improvement, and I certainly wouldn't subject my coach to it. However, it's absolutely there, major improvement, saved us twice and made every cent of my investment and time worth it! My coach is significantly heavier than yours as well. The other benefits are simple visual inspection at any time, you will not get grab like heated shoes, and electric over hydraulic!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you tell me what brand of brake system you went with? I fully understand all the benefits, however for my application with the 2”x12” shoes and the size of the aftermarket brake pads and diameter of the caliper piston it appears the increased performance just might not be there.

Thanks, Saldog

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saldog View Post
    Could you tell me what brand of brake system you went with? I fully understand all the benefits, however for my application with the 2”x12” shoes and the size of the aftermarket brake pads and diameter of the caliper piston it appears the increased performance just might not be there.

Thanks, Saldog
    But it is! You are making the incorrect assumption that shoes bite across their footprint. They do not in trailer brake application nor regular automotive application! Upon actuation, there is only a fraction of the shoe contacting and lending friction and at way less apply pressure via trigger by electromagnet.

I'm running Kodiak calipers with GM pads as proprietary pads are a problem on the road when/if you need fast repair.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While my axles are 7k, the difference from the electric drum to disc was a game changer.

I purchased a kit from stopyourtrailer. Bill was great to deal with, answered the questions I had, and the install wasn't bad.

I did pick up a cheap line bender to help with the neatness of install.
    My actuator is a Dexter Brakerite.
    Rotors, brackets and pads are Kodiak.

I did not do any sort of quantitative test/analysis, however, qualitative analysis makes me smile every time I tow with this setup!
    Even my wife feels the difference.

I can honestly say I will NEVER own another trailer with significant weight without disc brakes.
    Absolute no brainer.

If you plan to keep your trailer, it's a worthwhile investment.

Once you do, you can come back and thank us later
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My current trailer is the first one with disc brakes. I always figured there would be a difference, but it was much more then I was expecting. I have had to brake heavy several times on recent trips, and what a noticeable difference, that trailer wanted to stop.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ordered our current rig with the MORryde independent suspension and disc brakes, so I don't have a before/after comparison for the Solitude. However, we pulled our Reflection 337 10,000 miles with the OEM suspension and brakes before having the IS and disc brakes installed. After the disc brakes were installed, the rig would stop in a little over 1/2 the distance required with the OEM drum brakes. MORryde uses the Kodiak disc brake systems.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know much about trailer disc brakes.
    Do the rotors tend to warp fairly easily like they do on cars and trucks?
    Can you feel it in the truck when they start to warp? (if they do)
    Thanks
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    I don't know much about trailer disc brakes.
    Do the rotors tend to warp fairly easily like they do on cars and trucks?
    Can you feel it in the truck when they start to warp? (if they do)
    Thanks
    I've only had two fifth wheels with disc brakes... have not had any warping issues at all, though. In fact, I've never had a warped rotor on any vehicle dating back to the '70s.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I don't have test numbers, my 21bhe came with drum brakes. When I had to replace a bent axle I went ahead and upgraded to eoh disc brakes and I can say for certain there is a night and day difference in how well the trailer brakes work.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast