User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did this upgrade on my Reflection 323BHS last year. I’ve never been able to lock my trailer tires on any fifth wheel that I’ve ever owned. It was truly amazing how much better stopping power this has given me. I normally leave extra distance and let the truck downshift to slow me down…but when that idiot stabs his brakes in front of you, it’s nice to have that added confidence!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toolman.dustin View Post
    Drum brakes allow more "even" braking than disc brakes.
    Dustin...What do you mean by that?
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2016 Solitude 379FL...14,000+. We're pulling it with a 2006 F250 Super Duty 6.0 diesel, long bed with a dually conversion.

Before I installed Kodiak brakes on our 7000# axles, If I had to make a hard stop I could feel the Solitude pushing the truck while I was standing on the brake pedal with both feet! Now, with Kodiak disk brakes using the Hydro star unit I can actually feel the trailer pulling the truck back! On every trip I realize that for once I made a very good decision. If you're pulling a really heavy trailer, just install the disk brakes. The stopping power is night and day different. Peace of mind makes for a more stress-free ride!

(My 2016 Lippert 7K magnetic drum, brakes, and bearings are for sale cheap...less than 10,000 miles...)
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfs673 View Post
    While my axles are 7k, the difference from the electric drum to disc was a game changer... ...I can honestly say I will NEVER own another trailer with significant weight without disc brakes.
    Absolute no brainer...
    Amen Brother! I feel the same way. I installed mine myself at a campground in Florida (The hydraulic jacks helped a lot, but don't tell anybody!)

I didn't want flexible brake lines under the coroplast so I bought metal brake line and a bunch of fillings. The hardest part was learning to make a double flare on 3/16 tubing. I made three for every one I kept. I ran the tubing in the web of the I-Beam with clamps. I have had no leaks but lots of panic stops.... Whew! One of the best decisions I ever made!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am driving myself crazy trying to find a place to get this done but am coming up with nothing on a place to get it done, has there been anything started on this site as to where people are going to have the conversion done. Live just south of Green Bay and my dealer is of no help unfortunately. Only nice thing about this area is, not to many hills to worry about but next season plan on expanding my travel area for sure.
    Neil & Diane Kemp
    2023 3500 GMC Sierra SLE with Duramax/Allison
    2022 150 Series 295RL, Disk Brake Conversion Kit, Solar Panels added.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NAKemp View Post
    I am driving myself crazy trying to find a place to get this done but am coming up with nothing on a place to get it done, has there been anything started on this site as to where people are going to have the conversion done. Live just south of Green Bay and my dealer is of no help unfortunately. Only nice thing about this area is, not to many hills to worry about but next season plan on expanding my travel area for sure.
    No need! Performance Trailer Braking has teams of mobile installers that will come to you!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    No need! Performance Trailer Braking has teams of mobile installers that will come to you!
    +1 Performance Trailer Braking

We don’t have a disc brake conversion but have attended the Grand Design Mid-Atlantic Owners’ Rally the past two years. They have mobile tech installers there the whole time doing conversions. People behind our site last year had it done. It’s quite interesting to watch.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    I guess I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thank you
    Neil & Diane Kemp
    2023 3500 GMC Sierra SLE with Duramax/Allison
    2022 150 Series 295RL, Disk Brake Conversion Kit, Solar Panels added.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased my Disc Brakes from StopYourTrailer.com, Bill was very helpful in knowing where to have the installation done. He was even able to ship the kit directly to the shop.

I wound up at a shop that rented out trailers (Utility and dump) they repaired many of the county's trailers as well. The shop was great to work with and it only took a day for the install.

You can also check into Trailer Repair Shops, those that sell and service Horse, Dump and Utility trailers. Definitely ensure they have done this type of conversion before.
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 10-20-2021 at 06:05 PM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good deal! Most are husband and wife teams and fellow campers. The Alingers, for instance, cover much of the East and have a Momentum.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast