Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F450 Bridgestone M704 19.5in tires?

Anyone with an F450 with the stock 19.5 in tires running Bridgestone M704 tires and care to share experience thus far? Looking to ditch the junk Conti's in front for something that will make it past 20K mi. The M704's appear to be an all-position tire with 3PMSF & an 87mph speed rating.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    Anyone with an F450 with the stock 19.5 in tires running Bridgestone M704 tires and care to share experience thus far? Looking to ditch the junk Conti's in front for something that will make it past 20K mi. The M704's appear to be an all-position tire with 3PMSF & an 87mph speed rating.
    You have the Conti HD3's? That's what I have on my 450 and with 15K miles (about 1/2 towing), the front tires literally look "new". I've read that people often get 75K out of these tires.

That said, I'm not a fan of them, the wandering on the highway when you have cracks that follow the road really is unnerving. Add in construction zones and tight traffic, having a 26K rig that's 60 feet long kind of "floating" down the highway at 65MPH is causing me to age prematurely. I'm probably going to change them out, maybe just the fronts, early, but I can't seem to find anyone who's made the swap to a different tire and seen it reduce/eliminate the wandering/tramlining. I'd buy tires in a heartbeat if I was confident it would eliminate this issue though.

Honestly, mine being in near perfect condition is, if anything, a problem for me. I don't like the way they drive, but throwing away 3K in tires for "maybe" fixing the thing I don't like isn't going to happen. If they would just wear out, I could try something new and not feel like I'm just flushing money down the toilet!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, have the Conti Hybrid HD3's. At 13K mi they showed noticeable wear on both inside and outside of both front tires. Dealer simply shrugged at it and did an alignment. At 20Kmi, they have nearly no discernible tread left on the inside & outside of both fronts. Mine is my daily driver. I do tow our fiver, but not frequently.

I called Conti and sent them pics. They told me the wear pattern was from "under inflation" and they recommend 110psi on those tires. Once I pointed out that I run them at the Ford door sticker PSI (90F/80R) and that according to their own load tables for this tire even that is overkill... they stopped corresponding. I was hoping with some help on the replacement (or at least a better recommendation than the HD3)... but am done with Continental as they don't seem to want to be of any help.

Found the M704's here in town and a tad cheaper than the Michelin XDS2. Considering the Toyo M920 as well. All three are all-position with open tread, 3-peak and 87mph speed rated as well.

I think most of the wandering is due to the wide-track front end combined with the narrow tires. Having said that... I really don't notice it here in TN.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax