Likes Likes:  0

Thread: G,c6.2 towing

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

G,c6.2 towing

Any one towing with an2020 gmc 1500, 6.2 with 3.22 rear end. Am interested in how it tows vs Chevy 1500, 5.3 with 3.42 gears.
    2021 Imagine xls 22rbe
    2018 Silverado 5.3, auto crew cab

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I can't help you there because I haven't driven the 6.2l.
    That stated, I will add some thoughts assuming you may be pondering exchanging trucks.

We have very similar trailers and the same tow vehicle. Coming off a 2500HD Duramax, the 1500 has been a great daily driver. I too have thought about moving up to another 1500 with the larger displacement motor but...

The performance numbers on both trucks unladen isn't that much different. The fuel mileage numbers are very similar but that's due to the taller gearing in the back and the 8 speed tranny. Once underway, the actual towing experience is probably very similar also. They're the same frame and weight class. You will probably lose even more of the already limited cargo capacity due to the heavier weight of the engine.

I quit looking when the the setup came with the taller 3.22 gears.

Maybe this isn't what your asking and it is strictly opinion. There are some 6.2 users on this Forum so they should give you a better comparison, assuming they traded up from the 5.3l.

Good luck.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pull our 22 MLE with a 12 Sierra w/6.2l and 3.42 gears. 3.73 would be better, but 3.42 gets the job done. The 6.2 is a beast, but you need to keep any eye on the engine temps and don't want to over heat since its an aluminum block engine. Last month went over 12.1k and 11.5k passes in Colorado and the tranny got to 243 on both. I've read the 6-speed tends to get hot on grades. Never had a 5.3, I came from a 4.8l.
    2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z71 6.2l aka "Luci"
    2020 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE aka "Desi"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I came to decide the bigger engine is
    offset by the 3.22 rear gears. So I would see no real difference in towing performance.
    2021 Imagine xls 22rbe
    2018 Silverado 5.3, auto crew cab

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief T View Post
    you need to keep any eye on the engine temps and don't want to over heat since its an aluminum block engine. Last month went over 12.1k and 11.5k passes in Colorado and the tranny got to 243 on both. I've read the 6-speed tends to get hot on grades.
    You are correct. We don't have "passes" in Florida even up north but we get elevation change in north Georgia. Therefore I changed the 6 speed pan out with a stock pan with a bung so that i could exchange fluid (about 5 quarts) after a long tow. I also "flipped the pill" in the tranny thermostat which has greatly lowered the towing temps. Since this mod, I've not seen anything above 180. When (if) sanity returns to this world, we plan to head west to see just how well these mods will work. I also replaced the stock coolant thermostat with a 178 (?) degree stat. Temps just seem to hold steady. Not sure it made much of a difference. Now that the truck is out of warranty, I'm leaning toward a tune with emphasis on the radiator fan speeds. These mods are less expensive than switching to a more robust tow vehicle and I really like the 1500 ride. 15 years in a 2500HD was enough. Downside to the 1500 is fuel tank size. Haven't worked that out yet.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro