User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any Cdn’s buy out of prov or in US?

We are in the market and quite possibly buy used. There’s a great selection in southern US.
    Has anyone tried this? Worth it?

Also, has anyone heard of a snowbird winter rental from someone that might have a listing for sale? Might be interesting to get an AZ ad that would take say $10k to drop their RV at a retirement park for the winter and pick it up in the spring to sell it.
    Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ianandjo; 10-07-2021 at 12:40 PM.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianandjo View Post
    We are in the market and quite possibly buy used. There’s a great selection in southern US.
    Has anyone tried this? Worth it?

Also, has anyone heard of a snowbird winter rental from someone that might have a listing for sale? Might be interesting to get an AZ ad that would take say $10k to drop their RV at a retirement park for the winter and pick it up in the spring to sell it.
    Ian

FYI - If you do purchase in the US you’ll have to get it inspected before it can be registered in Canada. Usually not a big deal w/ new but might be an issue w/used.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the trailer will need to be CSA certified to be registered. As well, you may want to look into the duties and taxes that Canada Customs will levy against the unit.
    Dave & Carol
    Eastern GTA, ON
    2022 Reflection 303RLS Fifth Wheel
    2017 GMC 2500 Crew Cab pick up (6.0 litre Gasser)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OshawaDave View Post
    I believe the trailer will need to be CSA certified to be registered. As well, you may want to look into the duties and taxes that Canada Customs will levy against the unit.
    This not accurate....it does not need to be CSA certified, and also there are no duties levied against it. I have imported 2 RV's after placing factory orders. Canada Customs will charge you the GST right at the time of import. You will need to pay the RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) fee, at the time was about $114, not sure what it is today. This fee includes your mandatory RIV inspection, which is kind of a joke and a 5minute process, basically just check that your lights work, that appropriate labels are attached to the trailer, and that's about it. Literally takes 5 minutes. Canadian Tire did them at the time that we imported but can't say with certainty that they still do. It's so quick and simple that the Canadian Tire locations in my city didn't even require an appointment, just show up and they send someone out from the auto repair centre. There are others that can do the inspection as well if you are not close to a Canadian Tire location.
    With exchange rate being what it is today, I am not so sure importing is the way to go these days. We just bought a new 295RL, and it wasn't worth it to me this time to import it.
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    With exchange rate being what it is today, I am not so sure importing is the way to go these days.
    Ya, I think the other way around is more economical at the moment. Good for a US buyer to purchase in Canada.

But to the OP, we purchased out of province and it is the same as buying in your own province. We bought in Manitoba and brought back to Ontario. The Manitoba dealer collected HST and forwarded the Ontario sales tax portion of it to Ontario gov't. Nothing for us to do other than drive home and register it.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    This not accurate....it does not need to be CSA certified, and also there are no duties levied against it. I have imported 2 RV's after placing factory orders. Canada Customs will charge you the GST right at the time of import. You will need to pay the RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) fee, at the time was about $114, not sure what it is today. This fee includes your mandatory RIV inspection, which is kind of a joke and a 5minute process, basically just check that your lights work, that appropriate labels are attached to the trailer, and that's about it. Literally takes 5 minutes. Canadian Tire did them at the time that we imported but can't say with certainty that they still do. It's so quick and simple that the Canadian Tire locations in my city didn't even require an appointment, just show up and they send someone out from the auto repair centre. There are others that can do the inspection as well if you are not close to a Canadian Tire location.
    With exchange rate being what it is today, I am not so sure importing is the way to go these days. We just bought a new 295RL, and it wasn't worth it to me this time to import it.
    Except if you are looking for a resale and there’s 6 in Ontario and 10,000 in southern US… the choice plus the non winter wear and tear make it something to look at (I think, but maybe I’m wrong?!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Ya, I think the other way around is more economical at the moment. Good for a US buyer to purchase in Canada.

But to the OP, we purchased out of province and it is the same as buying in your own province. We bought in Manitoba and brought back to Ontario. The Manitoba dealer collected HST and forwarded the Ontario sales tax portion of it to Ontario gov't. Nothing for us to do other than drive home and register it.
    New or used? I guess you get a temporary plate in Manitoba and replace when you get back home?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianandjo View Post
    Except if you are looking for a resale and there’s 6 in Ontario and 10,000 in southern US… the choice plus the non winter wear and tear make it something to look at (I think, but maybe I’m wrong?!)

True, the selection will be greater, but then you also have the hassle of trying to assess the condition of it. Unless of course you will already be down there and plan to buy while you are there, then it's a totally different story.
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's