User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suburban Water heater

I have a Solitude-S (2021). I took out the plug yesterday to completely drain the water heater and found that the anode was really in rough shape and most of it flaked and fell down to the bottom of the heater. I ordered a water heater flush out device and will use the six gallons of vinegar to de-scale the interior and hopefully clean everything out so this stuff won't get caught in the faucet screens.

Does anyone have a better idea for draining and winterizing (without antifreeze-I like the compressed air route but it looks like it may not work properly for this unit)?

I also use a water softener that works nicely for the unit but, not sure if there are any pros or cons to using this except for the fact that everything stays cleaner and there are NO water spots in the shower or sinks..

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All you really need to do, which you have already done is to drain and clean the hot water tank. As far as using vinegar you really only need to make a 50% solution, so 3-gallons of bleach to 3-gallons of water let it soak for a few hours, drain and rinse it out and leave the tank drained.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can, leave the vinegar in for a few days. If you are going to go to the trouble of doing it, give it time to work, particularly at ambient temperature. If you need to do it quicker, then fill the heater and turn it on for a couple of hours to speed up the descaling process. I have personally not done this, but read somewhere about doing this.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the debris will be in the bottom near the drain. Just use something to help it come out while water is on so it will flow out. Install new anode and enjoy!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks BB, Capt, JCR... This is new to me since I didn't have an anode in my last RV and was able to put a flex pipe and a shutoff in order to drain without having to take the plug out (didn't have an anode). To my surprise, this one has it and it was in bad shape for only having the thing for eight months. ordered a new one from Amazon and expected delivery in a couple of days. Will keep an extra on hand.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Franktafl View Post
    ... To my surprise, this one has it and it was in bad shape for only having the thing for eight months. ordered a new one from Amazon and expected delivery in a couple of days. Will keep an extra on hand.
    That means it's working. I flush and replace anode in mine once a year and it's pretty much 3/4 gone.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch for restricted water flow from the hot water faucets. Sometimes that loose debris will work it's way into the water lines and block things up a bit. It's rare, but it does happen.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750