User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobWestdorp View Post
    Hi- Did RV,s suffer any damage last winter during the electrical outages and freezing in Texas last winter? I'm concerned about letting our daughter take our '21 303 rls to TX to live this winter. It seems like there were horror stories about keeping the RVs safe from damage let alone not being safe for occupants. Needless to say I'm leery of letting her take it anywhere in the winter especially in TX that could experience the zero degree temps and electrical grid shutting down. Any thoughts?
    I was just south west of Houston with my Wife, a 7 year old and a 4 year old in our Momentum 395m when that storm hit.

Only issues we had was getting gas for the generator when the grid went down (gas stations offline) and finding propane.

Heading away from metropolitan areas to find propane refillers near the farmers/farm land was the ticket, propane refills in major areas was one refill per customer with lines around the building.

I wrapped the propane tanks in blankets with a shop light in the compartment to keep the tanks warm, propane stops flowing if it gets too cold.

Would fill the fresh water tank during the day, at night park requested to leave the spicket running so it wouldn't freeze up... Connect water hose during day to fill fresh water, disconnect and store water hose before night fall.

Covered underbelly with tank warmers on the Momentum kept everything above freezing and working without issues.

As long as I kept generator running and propane flowing, Wife and kiddos had a blast playing in the winter wonderland.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshal27 View Post
    I was just south west of Houston with my Wife, a 7 year old and a 4 year old in our Momentum 395m when that storm hit.

I wrapped the propane tanks in blankets with a shop light in the compartment to keep the tanks warm, propane stops flowing if it gets too cold.

As propane doesn’t stop flowing until minus 44°F, wrapping your tanks in a blanket and heating with a shop light would be a complete waste of time and energy.
    2020 Momentum 25G
    2011 RAM 2500 4x4 Megacab 6.7 Diesel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmclean51 View Post
    As propane doesn’t stop flowing until minus 44°F, wrapping your tanks in a blanket and heating with a shop light would be a complete waste of time and energy.
    To each their own, in my experience, pressure is reduced and flow decreases... Also helps prevent the pressure regulator from freezing up.

Was well worth the trouble, in my opinion, to ensure my family had heat during an unprecedented winter storm.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had just purchased our 303RLS and set it up in an RV Park near Dallas when the freeze hit. We were fortunate in our area as we missed all but a few power blackouts. We used our generator when needed and had a heated water hose that functioned well. We were able to maintain a comfortable temp level inside with the propane. I also wrapped the water hose with some insulation to go along with the built in heating element. If you take some precautions ahead of time, there shouldn't be any problems.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Thanks for the input.
    2021 303rls w/ 2nd AC. 2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.5 ft bed. Homebase is Michigan. We are summer travelers primarily. Farthest trip: Nova Scotia.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for your help!
    2021 303rls w/ 2nd AC. 2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.5 ft bed. Homebase is Michigan. We are summer travelers primarily. Farthest trip: Nova Scotia.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good ideas!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one Christmas my wife and I spent in our Imagine 2970 RL in northern Mn, I could never get the remaining 1 gal of propane burned up as I lost vapor pressure. But I still got charged as if I was filling an empty tank.
    I ended up wrapping the tank cover in that foil like bubble wrap, put a trouble shooting light between the two tanks and big quilt on top of the tanks. Problem solved, I could burn the entirety of my tanks.

Totally different problem, using my gas grill during winter. Gas grill stays out side, I would always loose heat during the cook, or wouldn't have enough heat to burn off the grill at the end. I found that there is electric LP tank blankets. Wrap the tank in this blanket, plug it in 30 - 45 minutes prior and leave it plugged in during the cook, works perfectly.

If we were to use our camper in cooler/cold weather, I would have a tank blanket for each tank.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12