User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go from 15" to 16" wheels on Trailer

Hi All - Anybody go up from 15" wheels to 16" wheels?
    I have a 2021 Reflection 260RD fifth wheel that rides a tad nose high with my F250 Diesel Super Duty. The rear stabilizer jacks sit little more than 4" off the ground when fully retracted and have scraped a few times going over speed bumps. If I move up to 16" wheels, my thinking is that I'll gain a little trailer height (1.5") that may help with both of those concerns. Has anybody done this? Any thoughts, considerations or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Jeff & Sandy
    2021 GD 260RD Fifth Wheel ~ Snoopy
    2012 F250 Super Duty 6.7L Turbo Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    I have a 2021 Reflection 260RD fifth wheel that rides a tad nose high with my F250 Diesel Super Duty. The rear stabilizer jacks sit little more than 4" off the ground when fully retracted and have scraped a few times going over speed bumps. If I move up to 16" wheels, my thinking is that I'll gain a little trailer height (1.5") that may help with both of those concerns. Has anybody done this? Any thoughts, considerations or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I did it on a couple of TTs I owned. My main reason was it allowed me to run LT tires. I am not sure where you get the 1.5" from? The wheel size doesn't have much to do with height. The tire size does.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff we did this in the spring of 2018. We had the GDRV Customer Service Center perform work on our 303 including installing 6K axles, 16" tires and wheels. We gained 1/2" from the wheel and 1.25" in tire diameter for a total of 1.75".

We also gained a little height in the springs as the 5.2K axles/2600 lbs springs were at and exceeding limits for our 303 when loaded on the fridge side resulting in a light sag on the street side vs the curb side. The fridge side when loaded was about 800 lbs. heavier.

In addition early GDRV Reflection fivers did not have the 2" tubing between the frame and axle mounting. We had these 2" tubes added as well to ensure we had more clearance......w/o doing this, we would not had enough clearance between the top of the new setup and bottom of RV especially in situations where the spring was compressed due to road bumps, etc.

The attached picture taken before leaving the FCS Center after measuring front and rear RV to ground shows we were nearly level. RV was empty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180619_083006.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	37098

Dan
    Last edited by Canyonlight; 10-08-2021 at 02:40 PM. Reason: corrected math
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 16" number is tire diameter. The difference in the sizes being 1" breaks down to 1/2"(radius), which is what you would realize in height change given the same tire aspect ratio.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can compare tire diameters using this calculator (be sure and use 1/2 of the diameter as the height you would gain):

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

One thing to keep in mind is clearance from the top of the tire to the underside of the trailer or slide. Typical leaf spring trailer suspension systems have 2-1/2 to 3" of travel... you don't want the tire and the subflooring making contact on a bump or pothole.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I did it on a couple of TTs I owned. My main reason was it allowed me to run LT tires. I am not sure where you get the 1.5" from? The wheel size doesn't have much to do with height. The tire size does.
    First I called Grand Design customer service who said it was a modification and they couldn't comment. Then I went to Les Schwab Tires who said I had the clearances to do it. Existing 15" wheels with ST225/75R15 tires have a 28.31 inch diameter. New 16" wheels with ST235/80R16 tires would have a diameter of 30.79 inches. An increase in diameter of 1.48". LS didn't give info about keeping the 15" rims and getting bigger tires. I'll check that out. Thanks.

There is about 8-10 inches of clearance to the subfloor and my tires are currently 7" apart. The suggestion by LS would reduce this distance by about 3" leaving 4" gap between tires, which I understand is okay.
    Last edited by Old Man; 10-09-2021 at 08:37 AM.
    Jeff & Sandy
    B&W Companion Slider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Jeff we did this in the spring of 2018. We had the GDRV Customer Service Center perform work on our 303 including installing 6K axles, 16" tires and wheels. We gained 1/2" from the wheel and 1.25" in tire diameter for a total of 1.75".

We also gained a little height in the springs as the 5.2K axles/2600 lbs springs were at and exceeding limits for our 303 when loaded on the fridge side resulting in a light sag on the street side vs the curb side. The fridge side when loaded was about 800 lbs. heavier.

In addition early GDRV Reflection fivers did not have the 2" tubing between the frame and axle mounting. We had these 2" tubes added as well to ensure we had more clearance......w/o doing this, we would not had enough clearance between the top of the new setup and bottom of RV especially in situations where the spring was compressed due to road bumps, etc.

The attached picture taken before leaving the FCS Center after measuring front and rear RV to ground shows we were nearly level. RV was empty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180619_083006.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	37098

Dan
    Dan, that looks really good. What I'd like to have in my set up. Thanks for the input and info. I'm still looking at options and hopefully it'll look as good as your setup. Nice.
    Jeff & Sandy
    B&W Companion Slider

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    The 16" number is tire diameter. The difference in the sizes being 1" breaks down to 1/2"(radius), which is what you would realize in height change given the same tire aspect ratio.
    Not to split hairs, but I think you mean that the 16" number is wheel diameter.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I did it on my Reflection 220RK Look for my post here and the other place - I included sources for wheels, etc. A couple of things you need to check. Clearance from top of tire to floor and everywhere else should be 3". If you don't have that consider Sumo springs to act as bumper stops. I have the HD set installed - another write up.

I just drove to Georgia and back from SW Colorado) with no issues (huge ride and handling improvement). Going out the trailer was fully loaded (including 1/2 rank water hauling my daughters stuff to her.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar