User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2018 RAM 2500 CTD Issues

We own a 2018 RAM 2500 CTD Laramie since January of 2019 and have used it to tow our 26RLS. The first two seasons we were very happy with the truck, unfortunately the same can't be said about this year. The Truck has about 18,000 miles on it of which 9,500 miles while towing. Its also been well maintained, nothing has been neglected.

We've had some sort an issue with the truck on every single trip taken this year and we've about had it.

On our first trip to Virginia while sight seeing, we started getting all sorts of crazy warning lights and bells going off. So we took it to the local RAM dealer and they took us right in. They said that they needed to reprogram the computer in the truck. They did it and we haven't this issue since.

Then on the same trip heading home in West Virginia we had issues starting the truck. This happened multiple times. I'd turn the key and the truck would make a "clunk" sound and it wouldn't start. I'd wait 5 minutes and it would start up as normal. This even happened while hitching up, we were all hitched and ready to pull out and it wouldn't start. That time we had to wait 20 minutes for it to kick over. When home we took it to the dealer and they could not find anything wrong.

Then on the next trip while heading home to Long Island on I95 (heading south) in the Bronx my "service 4WD" light came on and we heard a grinding noise. This is about the worst section of I95, the pavement is basically a collection of pot hole repairs, with no shoulder or place to pull over. Since we were in heavy bumper to bumper traffic, we crossed our fingers and kept going. The grinding noise stopped after a few minutes and truck seemed fine. I took the truck to the dealer and they said that me 4WD servo motor needed to be replaced. They had the truck for a few days. We also experienced the starting issues a few times on this trip.

On the next trip to the Berkshires the check "anti lock" brakes light came on and stayed on the whole trip. We called the local dealers and none could see us for a week or so. When we got home the local dealer had to replace the Anti-Lock Brake controller.

Then while coming home from our last trip to New Hampshire, the "Service 4WD" came on again! Oddly enough we were headed south on I95 in Bronx at almost the exact same place where it came on the first time! Unfortunately, the day after we returned home I had knee replacement surgery and I have not had time to take it back to the dealer. So I don't know what the issue is now, but I suspect that the new 4WD servo motor went bad.

This truck only has 18,000 miles on it and it has already been in the repair shop more that ALL of my other trucks (1992 Dakota, 2000 F150, 2006 Tundra) combined! I no longer trust the truck and am thinking of selling it. I'm not sure what to do about all this.

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    We own a 2018 RAM 2500 CTD Laramie since January of 2019 and have used it to tow our 26RLS. The first two seasons we were very happy with the truck, unfortunately the same can't be said about this year. The Truck has about 18,000 miles on it of which 9,500 miles while towing. Its also been well maintained, nothing has been neglected.

We've had some sort an issue with the truck on every single trip taken this year and we've about had it.

On our first trip to Virginia while sight seeing, we started getting all sorts of crazy warning lights and bells going off. So we took it to the local RAM dealer and they took us right in. They said that they needed to reprogram the computer in the truck. They did it and we haven't this issue since.

Then on the same trip heading home in West Virginia we had issues starting the truck. This happened multiple times. I'd turn the key and the truck would make a "clunk" sound and it wouldn't start. I'd wait 5 minutes and it would start up as normal. This even happened while hitching up, we were all hitched and ready to pull out and it wouldn't start. That time we had to wait 20 minutes for it to kick over. When home we took it to the dealer and they could not find anything wrong.

Then on the next trip while heading home to Long Island on I95 (heading south) in the Bronx my "service 4WD" light came on and we heard a grinding noise. This is about the worst section of I95, the pavement is basically a collection of pot hole repairs, with no shoulder or place to pull over. Since we were in heavy bumper to bumper traffic, we crossed our fingers and kept going. The grinding noise stopped after a few minutes and truck seemed fine. I took the truck to the dealer and they said that me 4WD servo motor needed to be replaced. They had the truck for a few days. We also experienced the starting issues a few times on this trip.

On the next trip to the Berkshires the check "anti lock" brakes light came on and stayed on the whole trip. We called the local dealers and none could see us for a week or so. When we got home the local dealer had to replace the Anti-Lock Brake controller.

Then while coming home from our last trip to New Hampshire, the "Service 4WD" came on again! Oddly enough we were headed south on I95 in Bronx at almost the exact same place where it came on the first time! Unfortunately, the day after we returned home I had knee replacement surgery and I have not had time to take it back to the dealer. So I don't know what the issue is now, but I suspect that the new 4WD servo motor went bad.

This truck only has 18,000 miles on it and it has already been in the repair shop more that ALL of my other trucks (1992 Dakota, 2000 F150, 2006 Tundra) combined! I no longer trust the truck and am thinking of selling it. I'm not sure what to do about all this.

Thanks,

Bob

Sometimes there are cases where you are better off going to a different vehicle. When I was still a young man I bought a used 65 mustang that the gas gauge didn't work. Ran out of gas 4 times. Each and every time when I coasted over to the side of the road when I stopped it would be at the entrance to a cemetery. After the 4th time I sold it. Figured it was trying to tell me something.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In almost 55 years of driving, I've had my share of good and bad vehicles and I always had 2 or 3 in inventory. In my younger years, I repaired cars for a living and sold Pontiacs. The running joke in the sales team was you hoped it wasn't built on a Monday. It always hurts to sell something so new, but if you aren't comfortable, maybe time for a change even if you have to take a hit (though used truck prices are still high and new ones are scarce). It's not a good way to start a trip wondering if it's going to break again.

There are plenty of components that can go wrong given today's complexity and I firmly believe that there are such vehicles known as 'lemons' and they are brand agnostic.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2018 CTD 3500. No problems. 30k miles. Go figure.
    If I lose confidence in a vehicle, as I did with my last Ford diesel, I trade it in. I don't even want to sell a vehicle to someone when I think it's just gonna give them problems.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes me wish I still had my 1991 Dodge D250 CTD.
    Zero electronics, 2 wheel drive, and came from the factory with a 1 1/4 ton rear axle.
    Nowhere near as comfy as my 21, but I think it would pull my trailer just fine.

The start issue sounds similar to one I had on a Ford pickup once. Bottom line was the starter drive bushing was shot and the starter would clunk as the motor torqued the drive into the egg shaped bushing and locked up.
    New starter problem solved.
    Last edited by jleonard; 10-09-2021 at 08:01 AM.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two thoughts: 1) sometimes you just get one with the gremlin, and 2) you're using your truck very lightly but CTDs, especially modern ones, need to roam frequently. Some of your issues are electrical, and you may have a low voltage condition if you're not keeping a trickle on a batteries. The actuators are known to have had some issues in certain lots. I completely understand your frustration as these things never happen at a great time! I do all the work on my RAMs, and my dually lightened my wallet by $4.5K this year.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so confused about what to do. On the one hand I love my Ram 2500 CTD. It pulls our trailer effortlessly, I love my Diesel brake, its easy to drive, is very comfortable, has a fantastic sound system, but lately it just seems too unreliable! It would be crazy expensive to replace it with a new 250/2500 if I could actually find one and I may be forced to do that.

Since I posted this I've read a couple posts on different Cummins diesel forums where people complain their RAM CTD has issues towing while on a bumpy roads. Some even had their "service 4WD" come on, others had other issues. None of the posts that I read were for my model year, they were all different years, but all were older. I am wondering if anyone else has had issues towing over bumpy roads with their RAM 2500 and I'd love to know what they did about it. Unfortunately the roads (I95 and 495 LI Expressway) leading to my home are the worst I've ever driven over. They needed to be repaved 10 years ago and all that been done is poorly done pot hole repairs. If you think about it my weight distribution hitch may also be contributing to the issue, since it is transferring trailer weight on to the front wheels, which are also carrying the weight of my 6.7L Cummins Diesel engine making a bad situation worse.

So if I assume that the poor road conditions contributed to my issue, I'm wondering if there is anyway to reduce the jarring on the front end of my truck. For instance would changing the tires help? My truck came with 20" Firestone Transforce AT tires, which I'm NOT a fan of. Possibly going with a new wheels and wider tires? Maybe replacing/upgrading the shocks or front suspension? Thoughts??

As for the Starting issue, I may have actually fixed it my self, but I'm not certain. After the last episode in the middle of woods, I got out a set of wrenches and went about tightening every single bolted electrical connection that I could find under the hood. I did find that I had a few loose connections, which surprised me. The starting issue is/was very sporadic, so I'm not sure that this fixed the issue, but it hasn't happened since. I should have mentioned this above...my apology. I'm also wondering if the bumpy roads may have contributed to this issue as well.

Thanks

Bob

PS: WhittleBurner.... Too bad you got rid of the 1965 Mustang, we could have traded!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so confused about what to do. On the one hand I love my Ram 2500 CTD. It pulls our trailer effortlessly, I love my Diesel brake, its easy to drive, is very comfortable, has a fantastic sound system, but lately it just seems too unreliable! It would be crazy expensive to replace it with a new 250/2500 if I could actually find one and I may be forced to do that.

Since I posted this I've read a couple posts on different Cummins diesel forums where people complain their RAM CTD has issues towing while on a bumpy roads. Some even had their "service 4WD" come on, others had other issues. None of the posts that I read were for my model year, they were all different years, but all were older. I am wondering if anyone else has had issues towing over bumpy roads with their RAM 2500 and I'd love to know what they did about it. Unfortunately the roads (I95 and 495 LI Expressway) leading to my home are the worst I've ever driven over. They needed to be repaved 10 years ago and all that been done is poorly done pot hole repairs. If you think about it my weight distribution hitch may also be contributing to the issue, since it is transferring trailer weight on to the front wheels, which are also carrying the weight of my 6.7L Cummins Diesel engine making a bad situation worse.

So if I assume that the poor road conditions contributed to my issue, I'm wondering if there is anyway to reduce the jarring on the front end of my truck. For instance would changing the tires help? My truck came with 20" Firestone Transforce AT tires, which I'm NOT a fan of. Possibly going with a new wheels and wider tires? Maybe replacing/upgrading the shocks or front suspension? Thoughts??

As for the Starting issue, I may have actually fixed it my self, but I'm not certain. After the last episode in the middle of woods, I got out a set of wrenches and went about tightening every single bolted electrical connection that I could find under the hood. I did find that I had a few loose connections, which surprised me. The starting issue is/was very sporadic, so I'm not sure that this fixed the issue, but it hasn't happened since. I should have mentioned this above...my apology. I'm also wondering if the bumpy roads may have contributed to this issue as well.

Thanks

Bob

PS: WhittleBurner.... Too bad you got rid of the 1965 Mustang, we could have traded!

Yea it was a convertible too boot. Some people have a lot of trouble with their trailers too but when they get them taken care of they are good to go. You just never know. Scary part is you could have the same problem with another truck too no matter what make it is.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks,

Bob
    Is the truck new to you and still under a manufacturer's warranty? Just wondering if the lemon laws in your state might apply. Every state is a bit different.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm the original owner and it is still under warranty. We've got a Lemon Law in this state but I don't think these issues are serious enough to qualify. Having said that I will look into our lemon law a bit more, just in case.
    Last edited by BeerBrewer; 10-09-2021 at 04:41 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast