User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will my tow vehicle top off my batteries while going down the road?

Pulling a 2022 2970RL with a 2020 F250SD. Can I count on my TV topping my batteries between boondock stops?
    Kevin & Carol
    Nomads since June 2021
    2022 Imagine 2970RL
    2020 F250 SuperCrew 4WD 6.7L MaxTow

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If wired correctly, your TV will supply some charging current to the battery in your RV. You'll need to check the 7-pin connector on the truck with a multimeter to see if it's set up correctly. If it is, the amperage is limited by the gauge and length of run of the wire in the truck. I would not count on the truck recharging the the batteries completely after boondocking. Shore power, a generator, or adequate solar will do a much better and faster job of it.

Rob

PS: do you need to replace the truck in your signature?
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The answer depends upon a few considerations:

1.) Does the tow vehicle provide constant 12 volt DC power through the "7-way" trailer receptacle?
    2.) If the answer to #1 is "yes", then the amount of distance traveled (amount of time connected) will determine to what extent the battery in the RV will be recharged. That recharhing will be somewhat slow, but it does work if everything else is OK.
    3.) What is the condition of the battery? If in reasonably good condition, it should work OK.
    4.) What is the capacity of the battery/batteries? Greater capacity requires more charging time (given a constant charging source).

The most accurate way to find out if it works (provided all the above are met) is to measure the battery voltage at the RV with the RV disconnected from the tow vehicle. Then, measure it (at the terminals) when connected and tow vehicle engine running. Then, after traveling for an hour or more, measure again at the battery terminals with the RV disconnected from the truck. The second and subsequent measurements should show increases when compared with the first measurement.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I've got my multimeter along, just haven't pressed it into service. I'll use your process to see what, if any, charging is taking place. I've got a 10 month old 27F and a 5 month old 24F on the tongue. I'm on shore power at the moment but One Control is showing 12.8V. I've seen as high as 13.7 previously and 13.0V recently.

Rob, You are too quick! I posted, went to the thread and realized the TV was wrong, went back to my signature and fixed it. You already had your lengthy response posted! I don't type (and maybe think) that fast. Ha!
    Kevin & Carol
    Nomads since June 2021
    2022 Imagine 2970RL
    2020 F250 SuperCrew 4WD 6.7L MaxTow

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found out the hard way that since 2016 model Ford trucks (at least the F150) will not recharge a run down battery, only top off one only slightly down. “Hard way” because calls to Ford HQ and dealer couldn’t tell me why the truck didn’t provide any voltage to a dead battery. Do some online research about your truck before you get in a bind with a dead battery.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. Your tow vehicle will not charge anything. You need a dc to dc charger and you run a wire to the bed of the truck with a connector. Plenty of vids out there on it.
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 278BH (150)
    2022 Ford F-350 Lariat Godzilla SRW
    B&W Companion Ford OEM 20k with Turning Point

2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4 gas (SOLD)
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 21BHE (SOLD)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Renogy Dcc50S Works Great and does Solar
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 344GK
    B&W Companion 25,000
    Disc Brake conversion