Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th wheels - state parks - boondocking - how big is too big?

We currently travel in a 45' motorhome. It is great to travel in but far from convenient. We are considering a change. We own a lot in FL and will keep the motorhome (we love the motorhome.) We will spend the cold months in the motorhome in FL, but for our 6 to 7 months travel season, we are considering something a lot smaller.

I have a Ford F450 on order. We also have an Outdoors RV 250RKS Travel Trailer on order. The length of the ORV is 31' which is about 25' of living space. While we think being close to 30' provides the most options, we think it might be a bit too small.

We considered the new Solitude 280RK-R but that only has seating for 2. We are currently considering the Solitude 310 GK-R. The 310 is 35' long, I am wondering if 35' will limit the places we can stay.

We just purchased a membership to Thousand Trails. 35' is probably no problem in most of those parks. We want to be able to stay in state parks and places that are a bit more remote.

So, how big is too big?

Thanks
    -B
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no set answer to your question - it all depends on where you like to stay and your towing/backing skills. Older state parks and National Forest campgrounds which were built in the '30s by the CCC will be problematic. Other state parks and most COE parks should be no problem. Almost all parks and campgrounds list their site lengths (or know them if you're making reservations by phone) and can tell you whether or not they can accommodate your rig.

Our first 4-1/2 years full-time were in a 36' fifth wheel and now we're in the 35' Solitude 310. I can remember four times that we really had issues and those were related more to the layout of the site than the length of the site (trees too close to the sides at the front causing turning issues, curved site with boulders in the wrong places, a commercial park with narrow streets and spaces that required shoehorns to get into, and a church-run retreat with campground with extremely poorly laid-out sites).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    There is no set answer to your question - it all depends on where you like to stay and your towing/backing skills.

Rob
    Thanks Rob.

I would say that I am proficient at backing. As a kid, I towed cars for my uncle. In the USAF, I worked on Tractor Trailers which I then had to test drive. Bigger trailers seemed easier to back up than cars on a tow truck. Over the years, I've owned utility trailers that I had to back up.

But it still amazes me whenever I see a truck driver back up a long trailer between two other trailers with only inched on either side of him/her. The amazing part is that there is so little space in front of him that I am not even sure if I could pull the truck/trailer out of the spot.....

Per the chart, 35' gives me way more access than I have at 45'.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lenth vs Parks.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	37128
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be aware on the 310- STATED length is 35' measured length is over 37'. I moved from a 31' Arctic Fox to the 310, & it did limit somewhat the campsites I could reserve in some state campgrounds.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
    We currently travel in a 45' motorhome. It is great to travel in but far from convenient. We are considering a change. We own a lot in FL and will keep the motorhome (we love the motorhome.) We will spend the cold months in the motorhome in FL, but for our 6 to 7 months travel season, we are considering something a lot smaller.

I have a Ford F450 on order. We also have an Outdoors RV 250RKS Travel Trailer on order. The length of the ORV is 31' which is about 25' of living space. While we think being close to 30' provides the most options, we think it might be a bit too small.

We considered the new Solitude 280RK-R but that only has seating for 2. We are currently considering the Solitude 310 GK-R. The 310 is 35' long, I am wondering if 35' will limit the places we can stay.

We just purchased a membership to Thousand Trails. 35' is probably no problem in most of those parks. We want to be able to stay in state parks and places that are a bit more remote.

So, how big is too big?

Thanks
    -B
    When we bought our 26RL, length was part of the decision process. We knew we'd be wanting to do state/national parks, and many of them have length restrictions. We were able to camp at Grant campground (boondocking) in Yellowstone because our rig is only 30' long. That said, the site was extremely tight, and we managed to scratch both sides of the rig when leaving due to the trees on either side (not badly, thankfully). But we did fit.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronk1 View Post
    Be aware on the 310- STATED length is 35' measured length is over 37'. I moved from a 31' Arctic Fox to the 310, & it did limit somewhat the campsites I could reserve in some state campgrounds.
    Would you buy the 310 again or would you go with something shorter? The 280RK will be out soon, it is 32'7"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    When we bought our 26RL, length was part of the decision process. We knew we'd be wanting to do state/national parks, and many of them have length restrictions. We were able to camp at Grant campground (boondocking) in Yellowstone because our rig is only 30' long. That said, the site was extremely tight, and we managed to scratch both sides of the rig when leaving due to the trees on either side (not badly, thankfully). But we did fit.
    The 26RL is 29.33'. Will the extra 2 feet of the 280 knock us out of many parks? Or, will the extra 7 feet of the 310 be a lot worse?

Considering that we have to live in this thing for 6 to 7 months at a time. Not being able to get into a hand full of parks is not that big of a deal. We would prefer comfort over having access to a hand full of sites.

As I look at your map, those are the places we hope to spend most summers. I see that you visited Alaska and western Canada. Would the 310 be a hindrance in those areas?

Thanks
    -B

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 26RL is 29.33'. Will the extra 2 feet of the 280 knock us out of many parks? Or, will the extra 7 feet of the 310 be a lot worse?

Considering that we have to live in this thing for 6 to 7 months at a time. Not being able to get into a hand full of parks is not that big of a deal. We would prefer comfort over having access to a hand full of sites.

As I look at your map, those are the places we hope to spend most summers. I see that you visited Alaska and western Canada. Would the 310 be a hindrance in those areas?

Thanks
    -B
    Many of the rv parks we stayed in while in Canada were pretty tight, even the "newer" ones. But, there were other campgrounds with bigger sites. We were on a group tour and in one campground they had to stagger who was next to each other based on where the slides were on each rig.

Just for us, personally, we're quite happy with a shorter rig. I understand not really wanting a smaller rig for full timing, especially if you're coming from a much bigger rig, but we've travelled up to 3 months at a time in our rig and don't have a problem with it. Now there's only 2 of us (that's all the 26rl sleeps) and it was our first travel trailer, so we don't know about traveling with more space. Both our sisters have motorhomes and we've traveled with them, and so we're aware of how much more space there could be.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... Per the chart, 35' gives me way more access than I have at 45'.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lenth vs Parks.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	37128
    Keep in mind that you have to add the length of the truck back in. Our overall length is about 55' hitched up with the truck in my signature. The advantage with a towable, though, is that in most cases you can park the tow vehicle remotely if there's not room on the site.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Our overall length is about 55' hitched up with the truck in my signature. The advantage with a towable, though, is that in most cases you can park the tow vehicle remotely if there's not room on the site.

Rob
    The 450 will be the same size.... so, good to know.

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast