User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2011 6.6L Duramax (LLM)

Does anyone have experience, good or bad, with the 2011 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LLM). I believe this was the first year they had Diesel Emissions. I have been looking at a 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD CC LB 4x4 with the 6.6L Duramax and Allison Tranny. I would appreciate any feedback you may have on this SPECIFIC ENGINE AND YEAR.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    Does anyone have experience, good or bad, with the 2011 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LLM). I believe this was the first year they had Diesel Emissions. I have been looking at a 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD CC LB 4x4 with the 6.6L Duramax and Allison Tranny. I would appreciate any feedback you may have on this SPECIFIC ENGINE AND YEAR.
    Mike, you are correct......2011 was year one for the DEF and related components for the GM 6.6 diesel. There is plenty of good accurate information on some of the keys issues with the early LML which GM covered with extended warranties for the most part. Searching the net will be a good learning tool if you have not done so.

Also, I think Rob @Second Chance had a 2011 and can share his experience and knowledge about this.

Before we bought our used 2012, I too was concerned about some of what I had learned with the first generation LML but those issues were addressed and not issues with our 2012. We had a DEF tank heater failure and DEF tank/heater replaced under the extended free GM warranty. We had 3 or 4 glow plugs fail and again covered under the GM extended warranty.

One of the key things is using good quality fuel and changing the fuel filter per the schedule or even sooner. Also, ensuring that the generation process is completed when it starts if important to to prevent "plugged/restriction" of the diesel particulate filter (DPF) even with today's trucks. Finding out the maintenance history of the 2011 that you are considering is critical to reliability.

Maybe some other folks with 2011 6.6 experience will chime in .

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Mike, you are correct......2011 was year one for the DEF and related components for the GM 6.6 diesel. There is plenty of good accurate information on some of the keys issues with the early LML which GM covered with extended warranties for the most part. Searching the net will be a good learning tool if you have not done so.

Also, I think Rob @Second Chance had a 2011 and can share his experience and knowledge about this.

Before we bought our used 2012, I too was concerned about some of what I had learned with the first generation LML but those issues were addressed and not issues with our 2012. We had a DEF tank heater failure and DEF tank/heater replaced under the extended free GM warranty. We had 3 or 4 glow plugs fail and again covered under the GM extended warranty.

One of the key things is using good quality fuel and changing the fuel filter per the schedule or even sooner. Also, ensuring that the generation process is completed when it starts if important to to prevent "plugged/restriction" of the diesel particulate filter (DPF) even with today's trucks. Finding out the maintenance history of the 2011 that you are considering is critical to reliability.

Maybe some other folks with 2011 6.6 experience will chime in .

Dan
    The Duramax in my 2013 GMC Sierra was an LML (same engine as 2011). I loved the engine (and the Allison transmission) and had zero issues with it. One of the most common failure modes with that engine, however, is not with the DEF and emission systems (although there were some DEF heater failures) but rather the Bosch CP4.2 fuel pump. As mentioned by @Canyonlight, bad fuel is this engine's biggest enemy. Buying known good fuel, changing the fuel filters regularly, and adding something like Diesel Kleen to each tank to increase fuel lubricity go a long way toward ensuring reliability. Of course, with a used truck, do you know if the previous owner has been conscientious about these things? Side note: both Ford and RAM/Cummins use the CP4.2 fuel pump in their engines, too!

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 10-13-2021 at 09:29 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a 2011 3500 DRW for 9 years & put about 130,000 miles on it. Never had the fuel pump problem but I had multiple DEF issues over the years I owned it. Chevy repaired them all under the emissions warranty which Chevy extended for owners. However I believe the extension was only valid to 120,000 miles. My transmission ECM failed after 7 years & it cost almost $1800 to replace it. My feeling is that I would stay away from the 2011 model year. Although again Chevy took good care of me.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    I had a 2011 3500 DRW for 9 years & put about 130,000 miles on it. Never had the fuel pump problem but I had multiple DEF issues over the years I owned it. Chevy repaired them all under the emissions warranty which Chevy extended for owners. However I believe the extension was only valid to 120,000 miles. My transmission ECM failed after 7 years & it cost almost $1800 to replace it. My feeling is that I would stay away from the 2011 model year. Although again Chevy took good care of me.
    Appreciate your feedback, Ray.

GM extended our warranty to 120K mikes as you shared as well. I think it was 8 or 10 years (which ever came first) too for various emissions items and some other areas as well. In fact, my last glow plug (not an emissions item as I recall) went out in this spring, past both the 8 or 10 years and GM still took care of it. I've been really happy with GM and our truck.

I am looking to order a new 2022 but the parts shortages and pricing is holding me up for a while.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE Side note: both Ford and RAM/Cummins use the CP4.2 fuel pump in their engines, too!
    ][/QUOTE]

Ram changed back to the CP3 pump for 2021 because of so many issues with the CP4.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you to all for the responses. Of course the 2011 didn't last long and sold in 36 hours. But it wasn't something I would have pursued.

I am starting the search for a new tow vehicle to be purchased within the next 6 or so months. We have another long trip planned to the Michigan UP next October and we will need a new tow vehicle for that one. Ol' Charlie, our 1996 K3500, did GREAT! on our two long trips this summer for a combined 6,000 miles - Roundtrip to Michigan & Roundtrip to New Hampshire. However, I don't know how many of those long trips Charlie has in him. We are just South of 300,000 miles. So we need a second TV that will become our forever TV.

My take away from responses here is that buying a 'used' diesel truck can be problematic. Especially when the maintenance history is uncertain, and even worse if totally unknown.

My goal is to purchase a truck that would be sufficient to PULL ANYTHING. I have no idea if or when we may or may not upgrade our trailer. Maybe to a Reflection TT or maybe a 5th wheel. But, if that time comes I do not want to be constrained or even worried if our new TV can handle it. I look at this as "This will be the last truck I ever buy."

I've been looking at used because I would be very reluctant of buying anything built during the pandemic. I've been looking at 2018 or 2019, One Ton HD, diesel, long bed, dually - mostly Ram. I'm not a brand loyalist but if I had a chance to pick between the 3 I would not pick a Ford. The wife and I don't need all the bells and whistles and top trim package. Should be obvious with our 25 year old TV. If we have power windows, locks, A/C we are good. Wife hates back-up cameras so we don't even need one of those. We are simple people with basic requirements. Although when visiting our son she really fell in love with the cooled seats! So I would be focusing more on the work truck or tradesman class of trucks.

So that's where I'm at with a new to me tow vehicle. I am always open to advice from those that have already gone down this road. I love learning from others mistakes and successes.

Edit:
    I know this topic can be very 'subjective' (read as opinionated) so if you would like to Direct Message me your feedback that is fine with me.
    Last edited by OurNewEra; 10-14-2021 at 11:09 AM. Reason: add DM comment
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... "This will be the last truck I ever buy."...
    Famous last words - and ones Laura teases me about all the time.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Famous last words - and ones Laura teases me about all the time.

Rob
    Pardon me . . . per my DW "This will be the last truck we ever buy." We are the original owners of our '96 so I think we can stick to the last truck claim. And we aren't getting rid of the '96. I'll be unloading my brand new SUV in exchange for the new TV. That's why I want one that can tow anything! I was considering the Chevy 3500 HD Work Truck with like 30k capacity. But I want something that rides somewhat decent without a load. I hear that truck without a load is a real back breaker.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 344GK
    B&W Companion 25,000
    Disc Brake conversion
    3 - X-Factor