User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

progressive industries EMS-HW50C question

We bought a new to us, used 2021 Reflection 315rlts. It has an onboard surge protector that I cannot figure out. l read the manual but I don't understand the flashing information. Is the flashing normal, will it do this all the time?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2448 2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	37172
    Can anyone explain this to me?

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - it will cycle through the information all the time. It displays the voltage them amp draw on leg one, then does the same for leg two, then displays the frequency (60 Hz), then the last error code (normally 0 if no recent errors). It will take your unit off-line if the voltage on either leg drops below 104VAC or if there is a ground fault or polarity problem.

My one piece of advice... NEVER bypass the EMS (it's so much more than just a "surge protector"). Doing so negates its purpose and puts you at risk for damage to ACs, electronics, etc.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Yes - it will cycle through the information all the time. It displays the voltage them amp draw on leg one, then does the same for leg two, then displays the frequency (60 Hz), then the last error code (normally 0 if no recent errors). It will take your unit off-line if the voltage on either leg drops below 104VAC or if there is a ground fault or polarity problem.

My one piece of advice... NEVER bypass the EMS (it's so much more than just a "surge protector"). Doing so negates its purpose and puts you at risk for damage to ACs, electronics, etc.

Rob
    Thank you.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyJude View Post
    Thank you.
    You're welcome! BTW - You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyJude View Post
    We bought a new to us, used 2021 Reflection 315rlts. It has an onboard surge protector that I cannot figure out. l read the manual but I don't understand the flashing information. Is the flashing normal, will it do this all the time?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2448 2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	37172
    Can anyone explain this to me?
    Rob @Second Chance gave you the information. You can also go to Progressive Industries web page or just google for the owners manual (<direct link). It will give you all of the information including the error codes. I printed a code of the error codes and taped it inside the cabinet door where I mounted the display. Note: "E0" error code is "Normal Operation" (i.e. everything is good). If an error has occurred but been corrected (i.e. no longer present) you will see a "PE#". The "P" means "Previous" and the E# code is the same as listed in the table. When you unplug your trailer, it will clear the PE code. If there is no previous error, there will be a pause (blank display) where the PE code would be displayed (I think before the current "E#" status code). When you bypass the EMS system you remove all protection except the basic surge protection. As Rob says, I would not bypass it except is extreme circumstances where you are willing to risk damage or destruction of your electrical device in the trailer. We have the EMS-HW50C in our trailer and it has saved us multiple times (mostly low voltage).

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 10-12-2021 at 03:34 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Rob @Second Chance gave you the information. You can also go to Progressive Industries web page or just google for the owners manual (<direct link). It will give you all of the information including the error codes. I printed a code of the error codes and taped it inside the cabinet door where I mounted the display. Note: "E0" error code is "Normal Operation" (i.e. everything is good). If an error has occurred but been corrected (i.e. no longer present) you will see a "PE#". The "P" means "Previous" and the E# code is the same as listed in the table. When you unplug your trailer, it will clear the PE code. If there is no previous error, there will be a pause (blank display) where the PE code would be displayed (I think before the current "E#" status code). When you bypass the EMS system you remove all protection except the basic surge protection. As Rob says, I would not bypass it except is extreme circumstances where you are willing to risk damage or destruction of your electrical device in the trailer. We have the EMS-HW50C in our trailer and it has saved us multiple times (mostly low voltage).

Chris
    I’ve had this model in my last 2 fifth wheels & agree not to bypass the unit. However note that if you are running a portable generator you will have to bypass the protector because portable generators do not have a bonded ground. Over the years I’ve found that campground power pedestals have gotten better with less broken or faulty receptacles. However low voltage is still a big problem in crowded parks during periods of high demand. And even recently in our travels to Canada we found many many parks with low voltage. Go on the Progressive website & print out the error code chart. Progressive has excellent tech support & stands by their product. My first Progressive unit’s contacter failed after 6 years. I contacted Progressive to purchase a new contacter. They gave me a free one. Said they like happy customers.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year