User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add an aerator to your water tank that way it won't freeze. People with boats left in lakes that freeze have done it for years as do people that live on their boats year round in Ontario Canada and other cold winter places. The movement of the water stops it from freezing.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradeaux View Post
    Hello fellow RV friends,
    Very new to RVing as this was our first Summer and LOVING it. Curious about my crazy idea of adding just a little salt to my fresh water tank to resist the lines freezing overnight while up in the Colorado mountains this weekend. It will be subzero overnight but 40-60s during day. It works for boiling pasta water so why not RVs?
    Thanks in advance,
    Bradeaux
    My ex-father in law would ask if that was a one six pack or two six pack idea.
    2019 F350 Lariat Super Duty 6.7L Diesel SRW 4X4 with puck system
    2016 Reflection 337 RLS
    Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't catch if you are boondocking or not. Back in the day, I lived in a trailer. When it was going to get cold overnight, we would leave all of the cold water faucets running. That kept things from freezing.

I was at an RV Show a few weeks ago. They showed an inflatable wind skirt. It looked pretty interesting. If I were going to spend any time in the cold, I think I would get them.
    https://www.airskirts.com/

-B
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would work but why?

Quote Originally Posted by Bradeaux View Post
    Hello fellow RV friends,
    Very new to RVing as this was our first Summer and LOVING it. Curious about my crazy idea of adding just a little salt to my fresh water tank to resist the lines freezing overnight while up in the Colorado mountains this weekend. It will be subzero overnight but 40-60s during day. It works for boiling pasta water so why not RVs?
    Thanks in advance,
    Bradeaux
    The answer is really a question? What problem are you solving? If it is over night low temperatures, crank the heat up if you are really worried. The Grand Design understructure is heated and will protect your lines. I've found that my vents dump too much heat into the basement and I've actually installed louvers to control the air flow.

If you are looking to winterize, RV antifreeze (I believe alcohol bases) works very well, following the owners manual to pump it into all of the lines. A little bit time consuming to purge in the spring but no more than your brine solution. The biggest advantage I would see is the the antifreeze won't corrode your fitting nor your water pump.

Good question. Good science project, but I would recommend staying with the RV industry on this one.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iproff1 View Post
    Add an aerator to your water tank that way it won't freeze. People with boats left in lakes that freeze have done it for years as do people that live on their boats year round in Ontario Canada and other cold winter places. The movement of the water stops it from freezing.
    Great idea. I'm almost surprised that this is not an option from the factory.

-B
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume adding the salt is being considered because your rig doesn’t have a FW tank heater

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12