User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to reinforce the warning to have steps up before leveling

Even though I knew to lift steps before leveling, recently I forgot and caught my mistake before serious damage. Even so it took me several hours to remove the steps, drilling out rivets, and carefully bending the top hinge on the Morryde unit on my 2022 Solitude. I have metal fabrication experience and it was still a tricky job to get the steps back "right".
    I am not sure you can even buy the top part that has welds, shock attachment points, and is probably built in a precise jig.
    2022 Soulitude 310 GK Disc Brakes, Solar, Onan LP
    2021 F350 CC LB 7.3 Godzilla, 430 Gears, B&W Companion, Morryde Pin Box, Garmin 890 RV GPS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacific Fisher View Post
    Even though I knew to lift steps before leveling, recently I forgot and caught my mistake before serious damage. Even so it took me several hours to remove the steps, drilling out rivets, and carefully bending the top hinge on the Morryde unit on my 2022 Solitude. I have metal fabrication experience and it was still a tricky job to get the steps back "right".
    I am not sure you can even buy the top part that has welds, shock attachment points, and is probably built in a precise jig.
    Do you use a checklist for arrival and a separate one for departure?

Several of us use checklists to make sure we don't miss anything.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great tip
    I am planning on taping the checklist next to the leveling controls before our next trip. This happened after picking up our Solitude from dealer and directly embarking on a 7 day "shakedown" run.
    2022 Soulitude 310 GK Disc Brakes, Solar, Onan LP
    2021 F350 CC LB 7.3 Godzilla, 430 Gears, B&W Companion, Morryde Pin Box, Garmin 890 RV GPS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We back in and open the steps and door for side to side leveling. We don’t want it to be so out of level that tires are off the ground. We also make sure the steps are back up before hitting auto level, but your experience is a good reminder to post a note and double check before hitting the button. Glad your steps weren’t destroyed or rig damaged.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacific Fisher View Post
    Great tip
    I am planning on taping the checklist next to the leveling controls before our next trip. This happened after picking up our Solitude from dealer and directly embarking on a 7 day "shakedown" run.
    A better trick maybe is what I've done. I've laminated a card that I used tape to make it "hinge" over the Ground Control panels with the following bullet points: steps up, chocks set, crank stabilizers up (mod I've done). Being a "cover" on the controller basically makes it practically impossible to ignore.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too late with the warning. A few days ago I was doing jack maintenance and bearing lube, got all done and went to relevel the RV, hit the retract all button instead of the auto level button, no way to stop it once the button is pushed. When my big MO kneels down it's an awesome scary sight, the first time I did it I nearly fainted.

Fortunately I know myself pretty well and had cleared most everything out from under the MO before I started working on it. But I did crush a plastic bucket and have a little twist in my stairs. Not enough to bother with, but still....
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750