User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sourcing Fresh Water

We are quickly approaching fringe camping season in the Midwest. I've heard a handful of campgrounds will be turning off water at the end of this weekend and I'm sure the rest will be soon to follow. We purchased our camper in Nov last year so we've only been to 1 place that didn't have water and it was 15min from the house so I just filled up before heading there to test out the rig.

I'm wondering where people source water during the fall and early spring when campgrounds don't have it turned on? I'd rather not drive 100 miles dragging along 400lb of water. Plus I've also read some posts here that suggest the RVs aren't necessarily designed to travel real distances with water. Granted 100 miles is subjective on the "real distance" scale.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
    Thanks

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by callagp7552 View Post
    We are quickly approaching fringe camping season in the Midwest. I've heard a handful of campgrounds will be turning off water at the end of this weekend and I'm sure the rest will be soon to follow. We purchased our camper in Nov last year so we've only been to 1 place that didn't have water and it was 15min from the house so I just filled up before heading there to test out the rig.

I'm wondering where people source water during the fall and early spring when campgrounds don't have it turned on? I'd rather not drive 100 miles dragging along 400lb of water. Plus I've also read some posts here that suggest the RVs aren't necessarily designed to travel real distances with water. Granted 100 miles is subjective on the "real distance" scale.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
    Thanks
    Hate to say it, but for us we load up the fresh water tank and go. The only real option when cold weather camping in Northern New Mexico.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We travel with a full tank frequently and it’s never been a problem. I’ve checked mileage both full and empty and I still average 10 mpg. We don’t have any sway in the trailer when pulling. If we have a site with water at private park we travel with about 15 gallons to tide us over along the way. Carrying a full tank of water is one less thing to worry about. This is day three of a trip to the north shore on Lake Superior and we have plenty of water for the rest of the trip.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most any truck stop will have potable water. I have also always traveled with a means to fill the fresh tank by bottle in a pinch - used to be a transfer pump but our Solitude can take on via the onboard pump (you don't mention what your camper is. Outside of these, I also travel with a full tank when camping as such.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Most any truck stop will have potable water. I have also always traveled with a means to fill the fresh tank by bottle in a pinch - used to be a transfer pump but our Solitude can take on via the onboard pump (you don't mention what your camper is. Outside of these, I also travel with a full tank when camping as such.
    We have a 2021 Imagine 2910BH. Recently upgraded to a F-350 so now with our 3500lb of payload the water weight isn't as big of a deal I suppose.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every year we camp after water is turned off at the campgrounds. Just like others have noted, we haul it full of water from home.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do campgrounds along I-10 turn-off water?
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most campgrounds around here still have the potable water fill available even after the water at the sites is turned off.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    Do campgrounds along I-10 turn-off water?
    No .
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Churches. Ask and ye shall receive.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow