User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andersen Ultimate Hitch - my observations

Round trip from mid-Georgia to Greenville SC for a nice long weekend.

About a month ago, I decided to switch from my Superglide auto slider to the Andersen Ultimate hitch. Not that I didn't like the superglide, I do, but I wanted the lighter hitch so it would be easier to remove from the bed between trips. Im not getting any younger, and I am using my truck a lot more as a truck, now that I have 7 acres of land to tend to.

So, install was a snap. Nothing really to adjust. I bought the gooseneck version, with the Andersen shaft, no slip pad and chains. Installed, torqued everything down, and all good.

Driving experience was not so great. Rough roads were REALLY rough with the hitch. I had recently driven over the same roads with my Superglide and it was not anywhere near as rough. Concrete interstate with any sort of roughness was really bad. Like a bucking bronco a couple of times.

I don't think there's anything "adjustment" wise, because it's all install and torque down.. no adjustments to be made. I have a RVing friend who has the same setup. We were camping together this weekend. He has a dually, I have a SRW. He says he does not get the bucking and rough riding I experienced.

On way back, overall not as bad, and the road close to home on southbound side is not as bad as the northbound side was heading out.

Unless there's some way to smooth this thing out, I suspect I will go back to the Superglide. Seems like the extra 200lbs the Superglide weighs really made the ride much smoother.

Wondering if others notice the same thing? Anything I can do maybe to the truck, or the pinbox to smooth things out? I like the hitch overall, like the weight savings, and like the ease of removal.I don't have air-ride on the truck, and have what I consider a standard pin box. Nothing fancy, not a Trail Air or nothing like that.

I won't buy a dually just to get a smoother ride.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Lets just try to NOT make this an AUH bash session.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your 3500 short or long bed? Goosebox tows great with the airbag and shock dampening. The AUH feels like a regular old gooseneck tow as there's no inherent cushioning or dampening with it. What you see is what you get, and you feel it. No one can really argue that.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a short bed. And Rob, yeah, that kinda crossed my mind as well as there is no cushioning, dampening or give anywhere. That, and it's basically right over the rear axle.

On the cusp of just seeing if I can return the AUH. Disappointing because the light weight would be an advantage for me but I've got a system removing the Superglide as well that would work.

Mike

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    It's a short bed. And Rob, yeah, that kinda crossed my mind as well as there is no cushioning, dampening or give anywhere. That, and it's basically right over the rear axle.

On the cusp of just seeing if I can return the AUH. Disappointing because the light weight would be an advantage for me but I've got a system removing the Superglide as well that would work.

Mike
    There are at least 2 members here running a RAM short bed with the Goosebox. I think I recall one runs with a 4" offset ball and one runs without. There's also this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhtAZu1-qfk

Anyway, I cannot speak with any personal experience with a short bed, but maybe you can find some more folks to give you comfort in the possible option. I have to say I will forever tow a 5er by goose only now having done so for 12K! The 30 seconds to pull the ball and safety chain cleats and stow them puts a smile on my face every time I mentally compare that to splitting my old Companion and pulling it out of the bed...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wallaby, just for the recorded how is your AUH and Goose ball adapter oriented?

My experience with the AUH was iffy at first with respect to the chucking issue.

1. I have the AUH oriented toward the tailgate or backside of the goose-ball and the goose-ball adapter oriented outward of the pin box. Try orienting your goose ball adapter oppositely how you have it currently positioned.
    2. Added the mat under the AUH except I modified a stall mat because they where thicker than the AUH version.
    3. Set AUH ball height on second setting as it was the best setting to keep the pin box from striking the bed rails.
    4. Got a four axel weight and found I was heavy on the rear of the trailer, made some cargo adjustments.
    5. Installed Sumo springs and the MORyde CRE 3000.

The first three modifications were all incremental in changing the ride effect. However, the upgrades in number four and five had the greatest impact on the ride to almost eliminated the chucking issue. Not sure you’ll ever eliminate all of the chucking especially on those concrete highways. I run those same roads so I understand what you are explaining.

IMHO, I am one of those people that wants to feel some of what I am pulling in the driver seat, not the constant chucking but but when I make contact with a dip or running in a groove, I want to feel the whole rig sort of move evenly meaning I haven’t been sold on pin box chucking absorption devises.
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We pulled our first 12,000 miles with a Reflection 337 and an Andersen Ultimate and a short (6'6") bed GMC. The chucking/bucking was pretty bad on rough roads. This is due to the very solid connection between the trailer and the truck with the Andersen. We installed a dampened pin box on the trailer (a Demco Glide Ride) and it cured everything. Nowadays, after having experience with one, I would probably go with the MORryde rubber pin box. The only criteria for a dampened pin box with the Andersen is that it keep the pin vertical and the pin plate horizontal at all times (this rules out the Rota-Flex).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
    Wallaby, just for the recorded how is your AUH and Goose ball adapter oriented?

My experience with the AUH was iffy at first with respect to the chucking issue.

1. I have the AUH oriented toward the tailgate or backside of the goose-ball and the goose-ball adapter oriented outward of the pin box. Try orienting your goose ball adapter oppositely how you have it currently positioned.
    2. Added the mat under the AUH except I modified a stall mat because they where thicker than the AUH version.
    3. Set AUH ball height on second setting as it was the best setting to keep the pin box from striking the bed rails.
    4. Got a four axel weight and found I was heavy on the rear of the trailer, made some cargo adjustments.
    5. Installed Sumo springs and the MORyde CRE 3000.

The first three modifications were all incremental in changing the ride effect. However, the upgrades in number four and five had the greatest impact on the ride to almost eliminated the chucking issue. Not sure you’ll ever eliminate all of the chucking especially on those concrete highways. I run those same roads so I understand what you are explaining.

IMHO, I am one of those people that wants to feel some of what I am pulling in the driver seat, not the constant chucking but but when I make contact with a dip or running in a groove, I want to feel the whole rig sort of move evenly meaning I haven’t been sold on pin box chucking absorption devises.
    I've used the AUH since I got my trailer. I'm not in the weight class with my truck or trailer but I'm pretty happy with how it tows. The only outstanding thing I find is chucking on RT 95 through South Carolina but the right lane through much of that is an awful road to tow on.
    The bed length is a one thing you might consider, not that you could anything now but a longer wheelbase does make for a smoother tow.
    I also put a 3/16" rubber mat under the AUH on the bed floor. My intention was to protect the floor finish but I guess it does offer some shock absorbing.
    On my pin box the wear plate was a bit on the thin side and dimpling it where the set screws tighten down. I made a 1/4" stiffener plate that I drilled to fit around the pin and tapped the wear plate to accept 1/4" bolts that hold the stiffener in place. This effectively doubled the thickness of the bearing surface the red receiver rides on.
    I experimented with the Andersen receiver ( red block ) and found that having it oriented to the back of the pin box, moving the trailer forward made the biggest difference. You wouldn't think 8" could make a difference but putting more weight ahead of the axle helps.
    The top pin on the ball puts my trailer level. I found raising it one and having the trailer slightly nose high rides better.
    I also installed Sumo Springs on the leaf perches. My trailer is a bouncer and they do a lot to quiet it down. Now I only find the pillows left on the recliners on the floor. The more profound aspect of them is the amount of lean due to the high center of gravity that you no longer have to contend with.
    I'm of a similar mind as Skilletface with regards to the interaction of the truck and trailer. I do know it's there but the trailer is under control.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips guys. Some good ideas

My adapter is oriented towards the rear of the pinbox.

My ball is at the top pin. Sounds like maybe I should try the middle setting to see if it helps.

Good news is, the bad roads are here locally, so I can make adjustments, and take it for a spin and see if it helps.

Was thinking today about maybe trying a dampened pin box.. was even thinking maybe a Trail Air but I have to do more research before heading down that route.

Thanks for the tips. I'll report back when I get results from trying some things.

Mike

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having the ball on the very highest setting does allow for some chucking as the ball does have the ability to wiggle back & forth within the hitch base. Wiggle the ball in the highest position then drop it to the lowest and you’ll see what I mean. Can you adjust the height by moving the RV’s king pin thus allowing you to drop the Andersen’s ball down.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wicked Ace, I also have the dimple's on my wear plate. I love your idea of placing an additional piece of metal in that area. I was thinking about welding a plate on but didn't for the simple fact that it would prevent me from moving the camper with a traditional hitch. If you get a chance can you post a pick of this upgrade. I'm interested to see where you placed the bolts. For the record, I'm towing a 295RL and the turning point hitch wear plate is very thin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast