User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space Heater Suggestions

We are getting all geared up for winter here in Montana. I am wondering if anybody has any good suggestions for some space heaters to place under our unit? We have a skirt from the folks out in South Dakota. Anybody have any expertise doing this?
    Last edited by MTHomie; 10-14-2021 at 11:44 AM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTHomie View Post
    We are getting all geared up for winter herein Montana. I am wondering if anybody has any good suggestions for some space heaters to place under our unit? We have a skirt from the folks out in South Dakota. Anybody have any expertise doing this?
    A good old fashioned halogen light works just fine, or even a 60 watt lightbulb/lamp.

EDIT: Fix spelling and auto correct issues...

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MoonShadow_1911; 10-14-2021 at 11:21 AM.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No experience with winter while in the rig, just the small Texas freeze earlier this year when it was in storage.
    I used the Pali from SEEKR by Caframo, Ignition Proof Engine Compartment Heater, 1365 BTU / 400W in the basement for that.

D2Reid has a couple of posts on cold weather:
    Camping when the temps are below freezing https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...t=cold+weather
    RV skirting for Winter insulation https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...t=cold+weather
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @MoonShadow_1911 is right - lamps do a good job in those circumstances. A thermostatically-controlled space heater will draw more power and will likely never shut off (the thermostats usually don't go down that low).

BTW - you can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO heating a skirted area doesn't do much. Well at least in my Momentum. The reason being is that there is insulation all along the bottom of my 5th wheel and all of the pipes and water tanks are inside of that insulated area and heated by the furnace.

The skirt creates a "dead air" space under the RV. Air movement facilitates temperature change, in other words, when the wind blows it cools things down. The skirt reduces that cooling effect. But heated air under the skirt does not transfer to heat inside the coach.

Another factor to consider is water. As we go through the fall/winter/spring cycle snow comes and then it goes. When it thaws the snow melt has to go somewhere, and it often collects under the RV and turns to ice. The year I tried a space heater under the RV I had to keep raising the plastic pads (you know, the yellow blocks we use for landing hear blocks) to get above the water line. Something about space heaters and water made me nervous.

So unless you have exposed water pipes under there I wouldn't use a space heater under the skirt.

In the RV I use three electric heaters, one is our fireplace, it is not super fantastic as a heater, but helps some. My wife keeps a little cube heater in the bathroom. She will close the door, crank up the cube heater, then go take her shower. Fortunately Utah is pretty low humidity so we don't get mold problems. It's like a sauna. Lastly we keep a medium room heater in the kitchen, the lowest point in the living area. We have tried several different types, oil, box, cube, etc. But what I find is that they don't take too kindly to being bounced around in an RV. The one we use is fairly cheap, easy to replace, and gets the job done.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use ceramic reptile heaters. No filaments to burn out and no light.
    I've had the same ones for years.
    Not these but similar:

https://www.amazon.com/BOEESPAT-Ligh...IGHT_BULB&th=1
    2021 Momentum 25G - 2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Gas - 2009 Honda VTX 1300T
    Jack of all trades and master of one :)