Thread: Where to start?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magnumsoldier View Post
    Are you selling this?
    I just pulled it from EBay with no bids, so it is available. I upgraded to a 100 | 50 MTTP and added two more solar panels.
    I was running 4 panels (2 series, 2 parallel) , 24V with this MTTP. I am resizing the battery bank and I need more solar, so the upgrade was necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conner58 View Post
    Interesting. Thank you.
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK,
    So you guys have sold me on Lithium. Looks like I should also change the converter/charger.
    I like the idea of adding a solar panel to keep the battery charged but that will have to be phase#2.

Is there anything else I should be looking at in this first stage? I see guys adding meters and a shunt but most of these projects are solar based.

YouTube is a great resource but I didn't want solely rely on it when I have you guys and your real life experiences.
    Thank you for all your comments and for future comments as well.
    Last edited by Fivecodys; 10-19-2021 at 02:34 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post
    OK,
    So you guys have sold me on Lithium. Looks like I should also change the converter/charger.
    I like the idea of adding a solar panel to keep the battery charged but that will have to be phase#2.

Is there anything else I should be looking at in this first stage? I see guys adding meters and a shunt but most of these projects are solar based.

YouTube is a great resource but I didn't want solely rely on it when I have you guys and your real life experiences.
    Thank you for all your comments and for future comments as well.
    One item to note: You likely have a WFCO control panel with built in converter charger. The charger is not separate like most of the videos you see on YouTube. You'll need to check the model that you have, and verify whether or not the converter/charger are integrated in the panel. If so, you would either replace with the WFCO Li version of panel, or purchase the converter charger later as part of your solar setup. The good news is that in the meantime, you can use the existing charger to maintain the lithium battery and you'll be happy with it if you aren't immediately going boondocking for extended periods. We're in that phase now. I have the 206AH SOK battery and will add solar next year. The stock charger is keeping my battery at 77% no problem. Since I'm planning on a Victron Multiplus as part of the solar install, I will leave the WFCO in place and disconnect the converter/charger; the Victron will provide 12v conversion and charging in place of it. Hope that helps.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-200-Wa...bap_m_rp_19_sc

This is what I have for now works well nice because you can move it around . Also bought a 30ft extension cable. Last weekend we had decent sun got 38ah one day . Going to install solar on the roof later just thought this was a nice easy way to start being it comes with everything needed.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post
    Thank you for the reply.

Life04? Are you referring to Lithium Ion? If so, will the stock converter charge these?
    Just so you are know, LiFePO4 and lithium ion are different animals. Both use lithium, but very different characteristics.
    And a stock converter is not optimum for LiFePO4 battery. Although it will work I believe. Just not the best.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    One item to note: You likely have a WFCO control panel with built in converter charger. The charger is not separate like most of the videos you see on YouTube. You'll need to check the model that you have, and verify whether or not the converter/charger are integrated in the panel. If so, you would either replace with the WFCO Li version of panel, or purchase the converter charger later as part of your solar setup. The good news is that in the meantime, you can use the existing charger to maintain the lithium battery and you'll be happy with it if you aren't immediately going boondocking for extended periods. We're in that phase now. I have the 206AH SOK battery and will add solar next year. The stock charger is keeping my battery at 77% no problem. Since I'm planning on a Victron Multiplus as part of the solar install, I will leave the WFCO in place and disconnect the converter/charger; the Victron will provide 12v conversion and charging in place of it. Hope that helps.
    If you do have a Converter built into your Power Control Center, Progressive Dynamics makes a drop-in replacement Lithium Converter that fits right into the same space as the OEM Converter.

Here is one example:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...4560LICSV.html
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    If you do have a Converter built into your Power Control Center, Progressive Dynamics makes a drop-in replacement Lithium Converter that fits right into the same space as the OEM Converter.

Here is one example:

Interesting. Not cheap, but interesting and easier install than replacing the control panel. If a person wasn't going to add other components for solar with charger/converter, etc., this might be a good way to go.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post

Here is one example:

OK, I saw that while doing a little research but wasn't sure because it's not in a case.
    I will have to remove the front of the panel and see whats what back there.
    Thank you for your comments. It's very helpful.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SOK batteries are made in China and have a 7 year warranty. Dakota Lithium and Battleborn are made in the USA, and have 11-10 year warranties.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast