User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Where to start?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zadiemay View Post
    Does this Renogy plug into the port on the side of the RV? or do you need to hook up directly to batteries?
    You can but you might have to simply change the plug on the panel. Then you'll be able to keep your solar charge controller inside the storage compartment where it's locked and safe.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    You can but you might have to simply change the plug on the panel. Then you'll be able to keep your solar charge controller inside the storage compartment where it's locked and safe.

I guess I didn't provide clear information... [emoji849] On our rig, I have a 50 watt Goal Zero solar panel that I have the Furrion Solar plug connected to. That in turn, inside the coach, is connected to the solar charge controller, which is then connected to the batteries. All connections, since this is a single panel to help the batteries topped off, are SAE or Zamp connectors so I can disconnect the dollar charge controller from the batteries and use a battery charger.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PTParker View Post
    I am not going to spend $1000 dollars for a battery that I will only have a need for maybe once every 3 or 4 years! Almost all the campgrounds in our area have at least electric and water, only time we boondock is in Cades Cove in the Smokies, and that is just every few years.
    You need your battery for much more than simply boon-docking. Even when plugged in the 12v system is running. On my last Reflection, I had to install a full cut-off switch at the battery, as if I left it parked for a month (with the factory shut-off engaged)... even the parasitic 12v draw would bring the batteries to zero (and then unable to hitch up). A LiFePo4 is definitely an investment up front, but a lower total cost of ownership over the long run over lead-acid. The first mod to our new Mo was to install 300ah of LiFePo4.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    You need your battery for much more than simply boon-docking. Even when plugged in the 12v system is running. On my last Reflection, I had to install a full cut-off switch at the battery, as if I left it parked for a month (with the factory shut-off engaged)... even the parasitic 12v draw would bring the batteries to zero (and then unable to hitch up). A LiFePo4 is definitely an investment up front, but a lower total cost of ownership over the long run over lead-acid. The first mod to our new Mo was to install 300ah of LiFePo4.
    "Lower cost of ownership over the long run"? Maybe, maybe not.

I owned our last 5th wheel toyhauler for 10 years, I had to buy two new batteries, at a cost of about $260 total. No way would lithium batteries been more cost effective for me. If you don't boondock regularly, then, IMO, lithium batteries will cost you more, with little real benefit. My Walmart specials lasted, on average, a little over 4 years. I had to replace them because I would forget to turn off the battery disconnect and would end up totally discharging them. If that hadn't happened they would likely have lasted longer.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    Just a small correction/clarification. When plugged your converter will power the 12v system even if there's no battery.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A single 50 - 100 watt solar panel will keep your battery bank charged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flynaz View Post
    A single 50 - 100 watt solar panel will keep your battery bank charged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This is true for storing your camper, when boondocking you will need much more Solar Wattage to recharge your batteries and cover the energy you use during the daytime.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok Guys,
    As the OP on this thread, I must say that I have now been dragged down into rabbit hole. First I just wanted to know where to start the process of replacing the stock battery. Thanks to you all, I have now been looking at adding solar to the rig for occasional boon-docking or dry-camping.
    I've been watching all kinds of YT videos on adding solar to my 5th wheel. Thanks a lot!!!

So......My 29RS paperwork states that it is "prepped for solar". Can anybody tell me exactly what that means?

Many thanks!
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post
    Ok Guys,
    As the OP on this thread, I must say that I have now been dragged down into rabbit hole. First I just wanted to know where to start the process of replacing the stock battery. Thanks to you all, I have now been looking at adding solar to the rig for occasional boon-docking or dry-camping.
    I've been watching all kinds of YT videos on adding solar to my 5th wheel. Thanks a lot!!!

So......My 29RS paperwork states that it is "prepped for solar". Can anybody tell me exactly what that means?

Many thanks!
    You are most welcome, Alice!

Prepped for solar means there is an access point on the roof and a chase from that point to the basement for the cables. There might be a 10 gauge cable run through the chase that most of us use as a pull wire.

Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    You are most welcome, Alice!

Prepped for solar means there is an access point on the roof and a chase from that point to the basement for the cables. There might be a 10 gauge cable run through the chase that most of us use as a pull wire.

There is a small rectangular plate up there that I have been noticing. I'll bet that's it.
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast