User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to start?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to start?

I'm considering switching over to two 6 volt batteries from my single 'stock' 12V that came with the 5th wheel.
    Where do I start?
    What battery set up can I chose that will work with the stock converter. Not planning on solar at this point.
    Most of the searching I have done seems to center around a solar set up.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post
    I'm considering switching over to two 6 volt batteries from my single 'stock' 12V that came with the 5th wheel.
    Where do I start?
    What battery set up can I chose that will work with the stock converter. Not planning on solar at this point.
    Most of the searching I have done seems to center around a solar set up.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.
    Your stock system will charge them with no issue. Any golf cart 6v battery will do. Just get 2 alike and wire them like so. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2%206V%20Batteries.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	37197

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two six volt golf cart batteries are the cheapest way to go and probably give you around 225 AH. Or go with two 12 V maint free gel cells for about 200 - 220 AH. The six volts will perform better! But you wont have the maintenance issues with water and venting with the maint. Free. The more popular option now is putting LifeP04 batts in. They are twice the cost but they can be drawn down to 20%. Where as the flooded/gel cells shouldn’t be drawn down below 50%. All three would benefit from a 50 - 100 watt solar panel to keep the batteries charged. I just upgraded my solar and I have a Victron MTTP controller and BT dongle if interested?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flynaz View Post
    Two six volt golf cart batteries are the cheapest way to go and probably give you around 225 AH. Or go with two 12 V maint free gel cells for about 200 - 220 AH. The six volts will perform better! But you wont have the maintenance issues with water and venting with the maint. Free. The more popular option now is putting LifeP04 batts in. They are twice the cost but they can be drawn down to 20%. Where as the flooded/gel cells shouldn’t be drawn down below 50%. All three would benefit from a 50 - 100 watt solar panel to keep the batteries charged. I just upgraded my solar and I have a Victron MTTP controller and BT dongle if interested?

Thank you for the reply.

Life04? Are you referring to Lithium Ion? If so, will the stock converter charge these?
    I will check into that. If they are a sealed maintenance free battery then I don't need to worry about venting, right?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post
    Thank you for the reply.

Life04? Are you referring to Lithium Ion? If so, will the stock converter charge these?
    I will check into that. If they are a sealed maintenance free battery then I don't need to worry about venting, right?
    Yes lifepo4 is lithium. You can run it on your stock system but it won't charge it to 100% maybe 90% which is still a lot more then a regular battery and at a smaller size and a fraction of the weight. They will also last much longer and which makes them cheaper in the long run. They are maintenance free.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Yes lifepo4 is lithium. You can run it on your stock system but it won't charge it to 100% maybe 90% which is still a lot more then a regular battery and at a smaller size and a fraction of the weight. They will also last much longer and which makes them cheaper in the long run. They are maintenance free.

I watched a video last night of a guy changing his converter. Didn't seem all that hard. Might be a good winter project. Thanks again to all for the comments.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out SOK batteries .
    Lithium not cheap but last a very long time no maintenance. We like dry camping and these are working unbelievable.
    We have the SOK 206 ah you should take a look at them I'm very happy with them .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flynaz View Post

Are you selling this?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No just consumer. Took me 6 months to get them but worth the wait .
    Plenty of other brands out there . Sok batteries are very well made though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast