User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Download the app Legal Heat.

It will tell you all kinds of information for traveling, including current laws by state but the nice thing is it shows you on a map who honors your state’s CCW and if that state has things such as Duty to Inform.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    Hello,

I have a license to carry in PA and for the first time I'll be taking my handgun on the road with us for an extended trip from PA to Florida, then I10 over to Arizona. Does anyone have any tips for transporting my firearm legally in these states I'll be in/going through?
    I have a Mississippi advanced concealed carry. The biggest state I have a problem with is Illinois. They require the ammo and weapon to be located in two separate parts of the vehicle, say locked trunk and glove box. If no lock then in locked containers in superstructure locations.

I travelled to New Mexico in my trailer and was told trailer was considered a home as long as I left my weapon in the trailer. Which I did, but I would google it and check.
    BigSam
    2021 Imagine 2500 RL
    2020 F150 SuperCab FX4 6.5 Bed 5.0L Engine
    Carry Cap 2066# Tow Cap 9100# Truck 7050# GWVR

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSam View Post
    I have a Mississippi advanced concealed carry. The biggest state I have a problem with is Illinois. They require the ammo and weapon to be located in two separate parts of the vehicle, say locked trunk and glove box. If no lock then in locked containers in superstructure locations.

I travelled to New Mexico in my trailer and was told trailer was considered a home as long as I left my weapon in the trailer. Which I did, but I would google it and check.
    Being a new New Mexico resistant, and have several friends who are LEOs, yes your VEHICLE is an extension of your house. So, as long as the firearm remains in the trailer or tire vehicle (both are classified as vehicles), loaded or unloaded, that is perfectly fine. New Mexico is also an open carry state, no permit required. However, it is incumbent upon you to know the laws. You cannot open carry into any establishment that sells liquor, which means 99.9% of the gas and convenience stores. Paying at the pump is legal, just don't go into the store. Restrictions are listed in the CCW and Legal Heat apps. Both are very good.

Most LEOs in New Mexico are perfectly fine with you carrying, permitted concealed or open carry. Be open, honest, and declare. The law does not state that you must declare, even if asked by LEO, however, that last bit is open to interpretation by the LEO.

Ciao!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rn29306 View Post
    Download the app Legal Heat.

It will tell you all kinds of information for traveling, including current laws by state but the nice thing is it shows you on a map who honors your state’s CCW and if that state has things such as Duty to Inform.
    The app seems ok. Has good references to state laws but then, we are not lawyers. The Travelers' Guide is authored by a gun lawyer and gives easy to understand interpretation for each state. I am making Legal Heat another resource as I roam.
    Be safe out there.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    Hello,

I have a license to carry in PA and for the first time I'll be taking my handgun on the road with us for an extended trip from PA to Florida, then I10 over to Arizona. Does anyone have any tips for transporting my firearm legally in these states I'll be in/going through?
    Definitely download the free USCCA reciprocal map. Then enter your home state CCW and any non-resident licenses, it will show you the reciprocal states and where and wear not you can carry in that state.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uscca. Do it.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what do you do in the northeast? I don't need a concealed carry permit in NH (though I have one), but if I want to go anywhere, I have to go through MA, CT, NY, PA, NJ, MD etc. to get anywhere in the US. Reciprocity in NH is not widespread. Used to work with a Vermont State Trooper and even they had to pay thousands of dollars a year in training to carry in MA.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    So what do you do in the northeast? I don't need a concealed carry permit in NH (though I have one), but if I want to go anywhere, I have to go through MA, CT, NY, PA, NJ, MD etc. to get anywhere in the US. Reciprocity in NH is not widespread. Used to work with a Vermont State Trooper and even they had to pay thousands of dollars a year in training to carry in MA.
    In States that don't have reciprocity, you will have to revert to "transporting" the firearm. So by federal law, this usually means the firearm is stored in a locked container, with ammunition stored separately, and not in the passenger compartment. For me, in circumstances like that, the firearm goes in the lockbox in the trailer, the magazines are unloaded, and the ammo is stored in another part of the trailer, also in a locked container. It's a PITA in the Northeast due to the many states that do not have reciprocity.

EDIT: This is my opinion, and did not constitute legal advice.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We camp about 3 months in Florida and one of biggest complaints from campers up north is that they break the law multiply times coming to Florida mainly due to states and cities they have to travel through up north. Impossible to know all state and local regulations on firearms. My advice is keep your gun hidden in vehicle and never admit to having firearm. You can always remove a panel inside camper and put gun there. Never take firearm to Canada; they do random border checks of vehicles. Talked with one camper that said they went through his truck and camper with detailed search; he just happen to be the unlucky ones - he didn't have a gun however.
    We are lucky in south in that surrounding states recognize our conceal weapons permits. Keep mine on side of console with magnetic holder and another in my pocket. Gun that is not easily obtainable and loaded is of no value for protection. Biggest problem is fuel stops, always be aware of surroundings and never stop for fuel in Atlanta or other large high crime cities.
    We are lucky in county that I live in; sheriff's department has firearm safety training classes for locals twice a year. His advice is that by time deputy arrives to crime scene usually it's to late other than writing a report.
    One of his deputies would have been killed if not for a woman that had gun at service station: she killed the person attacking the deputy and saved his life.
    Last edited by Buckskin; 11-06-2021 at 04:06 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post
    The wife and I have 3 CC, one for Utah, Mt and WA state.
    When we travel to TX, our guns go into a locked pistol case traveling through New Mexico because they don't have reciprocity with our state licenses.

You may have to do the same traveling through South Carolina.
    https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res...p/pa-gun-laws/
    You might want to check Texas laws again. Some significant changes took place in September. https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res...p/tx-gun-laws/

That web page looks to be very complete and quite useful. I just found it and plan to bookmark it.
    those who say "I can't", will always be right

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123