User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transporting 9MM

Hello,

I have a license to carry in PA and for the first time I'll be taking my handgun on the road with us for an extended trip from PA to Florida, then I10 over to Arizona. Does anyone have any tips for transporting my firearm legally in these states I'll be in/going through?
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look up federal peaceable journey laws

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transporting 9MM

I would suggest looking up what states PA has reciprocal CCW agreements with and if all the states you will pass through are included you should be okay as long as you make sure you research each state’s carry and transportation laws applicable to CCW permits. For example, in some states a pistol can be kept concealed in a console, etc., but in some states that is not allowed. In other words, familiarize yourself and follow the CCW laws of each state you will be in. An app that might assist in this is called Legal Heat. The NRA also has an area covering states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bill & Jeri RV Travels; 10-15-2021 at 10:17 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wife and I have 3 CC, one for Utah, Mt and WA state.
    When we travel to TX, our guns go into a locked pistol case traveling through New Mexico because they don't have reciprocity with our state licenses.

You may have to do the same traveling through South Carolina.
    https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res...p/pa-gun-laws/
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Careful! FOPA is only part as you are NOT likely just transporting due to "dwelling" along the way... If you are going to be traveling with a concealed firearm, you need to get very acquainted with individual State laws. Since you have your home State CCW, look into obtaining more "universal" CCW like Utah, Florida, Arizona... Be very acquainted with CURRENT acceptance of out-of-State CCWs by the States you are in.

This can be a dicey debate of opinion topic that is not necessarily the right place for on this forum. I do speak from knowledgeable experience as among the many things that are me, it includes being a firearms instructor and RSO for 35 years, including CCW for several States, personal defense, and close-quarters instruction. 8 have been in competitive shooting my entire life and travel with routinely.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always look at the laws for each state I'll be passing through. I've had success in the past contacting the state police ahead of time to clarify anything that wasnt clear to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Careful! FOPA is only part as you are NOT likely just transporting due to "dwelling" along the way... If you are going to be traveling with a concealed firearm, you need to get very acquainted with individual State laws. Since you have your home State CCW, look into obtaining more "universal" CCW like Utah, Florida, Arizona... Be very acquainted with CURRENT acceptance of out-of-State CCWs by the States you are in.

This can be a dicey debate of opinion topic that is not necessarily the right place for on this forum. I do speak from knowledgeable experience as among the many things that are me, it includes being a firearms instructor and RSO for 35 years, including CCW for several States, personal defense, and close-quarters instruction. 8 have been in competitive shooting my entire life and travel with routinely.
    I have even heard of instances where local municipalities and counties have differing rules for concealed firearms than even the state they reside in. Although not very usefull for immediate personal protection and property, would recommend keeping weapons locked up until needed. When we travel thats how we do it and hope to never having to test the consequences of use then.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    I have even heard of instances where local municipalities and counties have differing rules for concealed firearms than even the state they reside in. Although not very usefull for immediate personal protection and property, would recommend keeping weapons locked up until needed. When we travel thats how we do it and hope to never having to test the consequences of use then.
    Chicago tried to do that but then Illinois passed a law forbidding local overrides. I’m not sure how many other states have taken that approach but it makes sense. Otherwise it’s like having different driving laws by county, making compliance impossible.

A great resource for reciprocity and summaries of each state’s laws is USCCA’s website.
    Last edited by dkayak; 10-15-2021 at 04:19 PM.
    Dave and Cathy
    2017 Porsche Cayenne S
    2021 Imagine 17MKE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dkayak View Post
    Chicago tried to do that but then Illinois passed a law forbidding local overrides. I’m not sure how many other states have taken that approach but it makes sense. Otherwise it’s like having different driving laws by county, making compliance impossible.

A great resource for reciprocity and summaries of each state’s laws is USCCA’s website.
    Oh I am aware - had a FLA CCW for 3 yrs..... but in todays world, where state attorney generals (i.e. here in misery) fight counties over masks, vaccines, teaching history, etc..... Don't think I want to be involved in any legal cases because of it. Especially with all of the current issues surrounding gun ownership or being an out of state tourist.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google “CCW Preemption Law” for each state in question. Here’s what I found for Pennsylvania for example, which like Illinois preemptively prohibits local and municipal overrides of state law. Then hopefully you need “only” understand each state’s rules, still a very big task for a long trip. https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/penns...earm-and-ammu/
    Dave and Cathy
    2017 Porsche Cayenne S
    2021 Imagine 17MKE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast