User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opinions on Hughes autoformer

Hello ladies/gents, I had a issue this past summer where my EMS wouldn't allow ACs to run due to low voltage. Anyone have any experience with the hughes autoformer? gonna set me back 1k Canadian but I'm headed to Florida this winter so I don't wanna deal with the hassle of not being able to run the ACs.

Thanks
    2021 GMC 3500HD
    2021 Montana High Country 385BR
    2018 GMC 2500 HD (Traded in)
    2019 GD312BHTS (written off by fallen tree RIP)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This should get interesting.

I use one. I have it "hardwired" into the trailer though I can remove it from the system fairly easily.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    This should get interesting.

I use one. I have it "hardwired" into the trailer though I can remove it from the system fairly easily.
    haha....I'm ready. There is a thread about 2 years back about them but curious if anyone else has bought one since. I know I heard that NFPA is trying to ban them or something like that.
    2021 GMC 3500HD
    2021 Montana High Country 385BR
    2018 GMC 2500 HD (Traded in)
    2019 GD312BHTS (written off by fallen tree RIP)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad1383 View Post
    haha....I'm ready. There is a thread about 2 years back about them but curious if anyone else has bought one since. I know I heard that NFPA is trying to ban them or something like that.
    Luckily, they can't ban anything. Only make recommendations

In my old unit I carried it and only needed it a couple of times but its cumbersome to pull out hook up (and lock up) and cover since its not really weatherproof.

With the new unit I also bought a portable EMS and mounted everything in the front compartment. So now I don't need to mess with it during set up. I did it this way because as with everything, electronics can fail. My Dads EMS failed and had to be pulled from the system so he could get power. Not as easy when its hardwired. I wanted an easy way to bypass if needed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_1149.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	37209
    Last edited by JKellerJr; 10-15-2021 at 01:08 PM.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a 30 amp one for a friend to use at his RV connection at his barn after my EMS wouldn’t pass power due to low voltage when ac engaged. I left it there as a gift. He uses it 100% of the time with his class c. Prior to using it his ac first lost the fan motor then later the compressor. I suspect it was due to long term usage with low voltage.

I carry the 50 amp version with me in my Reflection. I’ve only had to use it twice when camping due to low voltage.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used one for years in my last RV. I had it as the first device the shore power cord saw as it was prior to my EMS. I put in some 50 amp plugs and receptacles so I could remove it from the circuit if need be. I never had a situation where I had to remove it from the circuit.

It came in real handy up in Canada and a number of trips.

When I got my 5th wheel I decided not to use it nor carry it. Bad mistake!! I could have used it a few times this summer out west in Nevada and California (what bad power out there!).

So last week I rewired the rig and now it is a semi-permanent device again using plugs and receptacles so I can bypass it if necessary.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A topic that always becomes volatile...

Either way you decide, you don't have to hardwire it to be less of a burden. Just have a 50A extension. Extension from post to unit and shore power cord from unit to coach. Leave said unit in pass through storage with extension cord through mouse hole port.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, we've only been in one campground that forbade autoformers. IMO if they ban them, they are basically admitting that their wiring and power supply ability is sub-par.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw this video about building a small RV Park, 15 spots.
    The pad mount distribution transformer looks similar to what's in my subdivision.
    Comments say ~$20k for the electrical install for his park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hsx6c_GVCg
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pad Mount Transformer for 15 RVs - Willie Fistergash.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	37233
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    A topic that always becomes volatile...

Either way you decide, you don't have to hardwire it to be less of a burden. Just have a 50A extension. Extension from post to unit and shore power cord from unit to coach. Leave said unit in pass through storage with extension cord through mouse hole port.
    Would like to see a few pics of how this was done with the Hughes unit mounted in the front bay of a fifth wheel.