Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator Upgrade ?

My generator took a dump its a Emerald Plus 4000 . I want to up grade to a Emerald Plus 6500 because I found a good price on a refurbished one in like new condition. Will I have any problems ?

Should it be compatible with my electrical system as it is ? Will the extra wattage cause problems ? I'm thinking not but I'd like to be sure Thanks 😃
    These are the units im trying to work with

Recap- Emerald Plus
    The generator i have that's inoperable is
    4BGEFA26100H - E910392177

The generator id like to use
    Emerald Plus 6500
    6.5NHEFA26100N - C973656220
    Last edited by Pgh_AL; 10-16-2021 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Additional information

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Electrically, no problem with more watts, you could put a 100KW genny in if you could fit it, you'll only pull the power the breaker allows, no matter how big your generator is.

The only thing, I couldn't find that particular model, so I can't find out if it is 240 or 2 120 phases. Either should be fine, but if your old generator is setup for 2 120 phases and you put in a 240 volt generator, you might need to do a little rewiring.

That's a long shot, IMHO, as long as it will fit, you'll almost certainly be fine electrically. It's going to be more the physical stuff you need to look for, enough room, the way the intake and exhaust run, where it expects cooling air to come in. As long as all the stuff you already have will work or you can build/source the right parts to make it work physically, you're not going to have an electrical problem.

The only other thing you might want to check, is the size of the wires leading to the generator. If you want to use the additional wattage, you might need to change them out for something thicker to carry the increased amperage.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to use additional wattage . But if i do I just wanted to be ready . I will find out about the phases ASAP . I haven't taken delivery of it yet supposed to be this weekend .

I have a class A MH 1992 Fleetwood Pace Arrow. It looks like a lot of extra room around the 4000 that's in there now . So hopefully should be enough room

I thank you so very much for your response . You seem knowledgeable on this topic and I appreciate your help Thanks

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh another question what about the remote start wiring . Do you think the 6500 will be compatible with the 4000

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pgh_AL View Post
    Oh another question what about the remote start wiring . Do you think the 6500 will be compatible with the 4000
    Probably. If it's a simple rocker switch (like what's on the generator) it should be fine. If it's electronic, like wired into something like OneControl, it should still be doable, but might take a bit more doing. Take a look at what you have now, is it just an open/closed switch that goes up to the generator compartment or is it electronic with things like running/stopped/hours/voltage/etc?

These things are pretty simple, a few wires coming out (power, remote start), a fuel line going in, battery connections, exhaust and cooling air coming out. So long as you can fit it, and get things to match up (or build/adjust what you already have), it should work just fine.

Also, any RV shop should be able to help you if you get in too deep and can't figure it out. This isn't rocket science, but it can be a little confusing, an expert should be able to do this really easily and quickly.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just told by the seller it's a 2×120 NOT a 240

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just told by the seller it's a 2×120 NOT a 240
    Perfect, that's what you want; I would have been surprised if it was a 240 unit, but they do exist (and, you could make them work, but you may need to do some wiring changes), so good you verified. The outbound wires (power out to the coach) will line up exactly with what you have now, so that'll be dead simple.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing the 4000 has is the hour meter on the dashboard and the switch. My gen is dated in 92 and the 6500 is dated in 96 if that means anything.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing the 4000 has is the hour meter on the dashboard and the switch. My gen is dated in 92 and the 6500 is dated in 96 if that means anything.
    99%, you won't have to change anything. As long as it's not an electronic switch, where it cranks the genny for you until it starts (it has a run sense line), those are more complex. If it's a rocker switch, those are dead simple, they are just tied into the rocker on the generator itself, basically an extension of that switch to a more convenient space. If you really want to know, pull back that panel and look at the wiring, see what's going on back there and how many wires you have.

The worst case, you might have to do some wiring harness surgery, figuring out what the wire colors mean and where they need to go on the new generator. That can be tedious, but it's not that hard. And, again, any decent RV shop should be able to do that with their eyes closed, it's standard generator troubleshooting.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok copy that 😃 You've been a life saver . I have to pick up the gen on Sunday and I'll feel much better knowing it will likely work . I got discussed with my 4000 and was shooting from the hip when I bought this thing .