Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ground Control 3 upgrade to 6 point

I have a 2019 Reflection 320 MKS, it came with the 4 point system. Has anyone tried upgrading to the 6 point system.
    I figure I would have to buy 2 new jacks for the center location and new 6 point control box.
    Right now I have jack stands centered between the existing jacks which took almost all the jiggle out of the coach when combined with the king pin tripod.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the perseverance, you can do it. However, it's more than you think. You will need. Harness change the most laborious and likely the HALs in you 4-point jacks no longer compatible with the 6-point controller. Very likely, you'll need to buy the whole $3500 kit.

If you just mid-point stabilizing that's no longer manually operated, installing power stabilizers will be less expensive and relatively fast to do.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the 3.0 6 point system as Rob has, factory installed. I haven't read on here where someone has upgraded their system to a 6 point. I'm with Rob, it most likely will take more than realized to convert 4 point to 6 point, but that's just a guess. A least its electric and not hydraulic, that makes it easier.

As far as the HAL's, maybe check the part numbers to see if there is a difference between the 4 and 6 point. running the wiring for the mid point jacks would be the most time consuming, depends where the controller is, if like ours it is in the front storage compartment, maybe not too bad. In any event I think the 6 point system would be better than the 4 point.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    If you have the perseverance, you can do it. However, it's more than you think. You will need. Harness change the most laborious and likely the HALs in you 4-point jacks no longer compatible with the 6-point controller. Very likely, you'll need to buy the whole $3500 kit.

If you just mid-point stabilizing that's no longer manually operated, installing power stabilizers will be less expensive and relatively fast to do.
    Thanks for the idea, I think the power stabilizers are going to be the way to go. Once I took a closer look I could see that the jack is bolted to a separate mounting plate welded to the frame so welding would be involved and we full time. I'm guessing HALs are some kind of logic board in the jack itself?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dazcon5 View Post
    Thanks for the idea, I think the power stabilizers are going to be the way to go. Once I took a closer look I could see that the jack is bolted to a separate mounting plate welded to the frame so welding would be involved and we full time. I'm guessing HALs are some kind of logic board in the jack itself?
    Correct, you would have to weld brackets too. The HALs are magnetic position sensors. Each of the jacks has one that reports independently to the Ground Control brain, and along with the tilt sensors fore and aft, the brain uses these inputs to level and do so without overextending the jacks.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed the after market version of the Lippert Ground Control 3.0 4 point leveling system on my 5er. When installing the rear jack mounts, I installed them using their instructions by drilling thru the frame and using their supplied nuts/bolts and torque specifications. The only issue I ran into doing this, was the 2"x2" square steel tubing supporting the "I" frame from infront of the axles back to the rear of the frame. I had to modify the mounting brackets to fit the frame properly and square. Before doing this, I had several conversations with Lippert technicians as well as Grand Design Techs to ensure I was properly modifying/installing the mountng plates around the 2" support tubing and frame.

My system has been installed now for 3+ years without any issues. I too have considered adding the "extra" 2 mid point jacks to my system. However, the main module does not appear to be abe to be modified to except the new jack connectors and fuses (1 fuse for each leg). The actual control touch pad "may be" the same for both systems.... but the main fuese/connection module would need to be replaced IMO.

Suggestion would be to sell your existing system on ebay or whatever, purchase the new one and add the new components (i.e. mid jack point mounts, main fuse module, and possibly the new touch pad control). The Jacks themselves, bolt onto the mounting plates, and the control board and touch pad should fasten in the same place. Running the jack wires wasn't to hard either, mine went through the passenger side of the front storage compartment where a hole for other wires already existed with a foam fill.

BTW, I sold my original factory Lippert RV Power Landing Gear Set, and got about 70% of their actual retail cost (minus shipping of course).
    Last edited by trailrydr; 10-16-2021 at 10:58 AM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)