User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mounting Hitch on Flatbed

I’m awaiting delivery of a fifth wheel trailer to pull with my flatbed F-350 with a recessed gooseneck ball. I thought I’d use a Andersen Ultimate Hitch but it negates the function of the Turning Point hitch on my trailer. So now I’m looking for a conventional fifth wheel hitch. My dealer suggested I might weld fifth wheel hitch rails directly to the bed of my truck. Attached is a picture of the truck used by the dealership. I’ve never seen this done. I’d appreciate your suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 75023BF7-74AC-4E99-8485-AF84EE480509.jpg  
    Diane and Mike
    2022 280RS. Onan generator, Sumo Springs, MORyde crossmembers, hardwired surge protector
    2015 F-350 DRW 4x4 6.7L Power Stroke Feed Truck. 4.10s, front & rear stabilizer bars, Andersen 3221-TBX
    2021 Thor Chateau 22E Class C (retired) & 1970 Pop-Up Camper (retired - saw much of Western Europe)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your flatbed a long or short bed truck? The purpose of the Turning Point pin box is so that fifth wheels don't hit the cab on tight turns on short bed trucks. If yours is a long bed, you would be fine locking the Turning Point pin box. Also, the bed of a flatbed is higher than a conventional bed - you'll need to make sure you can get the trailer level with whichever hitch you choose.

These days, if it were me, I would consider the PullRite SuperLite, though. I towed 12,000 miles with an AUH and think that the PullRite is a better hitch.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Is your flatbed a long or short bed truck? The purpose of the Turning Point pin box is so that fifth wheels don't hit the cab on tight turns on short bed trucks. If yours is a long bed, you would be fine locking the Turning Point pin box.

These days, if it were me, I would consider the PullRite SuperLite, though. I towed 12,000 miles with an AUH and think that the PullRite is a better hitch.

Rob
    It is a 9’ bed with a recessed gooseneck ball. I have a wedge toolbox and a diesel transfer tank up front by the headache rack.

I think I have two options.

1. I spoke with a tech support rep at Andersen Hitches and they make a hitch designed for flatbeds with a recessed gooseneck ball and a toolbox (part # 3221-TBX). It is offset 3” rearward and has a longer shaft to accommodate the recessed gooseneck ball. It requires 11” between the center of the gooseneck ball and the wedge tool box. I have a little over 13” so it sounds like this will work.

2. I spoke with eTrailer. They will install a B&W hitch (or any other brand that they sell) that will work for my application. It will be bolted through the bed to the truck frame. I think I’d feel more confident with this method of installation but it will be significantly more expensive than just welding some rails to the bed.

I’d still like to hear thoughts concerning the welded method. If it is a safe alternative I’d like to know.
    Last edited by Mike Clay; 10-16-2021 at 09:07 AM.
    Diane and Mike
    2022 280RS. Onan generator, Sumo Springs, MORyde crossmembers, hardwired surge protector
    2015 F-350 DRW 4x4 6.7L Power Stroke Feed Truck. 4.10s, front & rear stabilizer bars, Andersen 3221-TBX
    2021 Thor Chateau 22E Class C (retired) & 1970 Pop-Up Camper (retired - saw much of Western Europe)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Clay View Post
    It is a 9’ bed with a recessed gooseneck ball. I have a wedge toolbox and a diesel transfer tank up front by the headache rack. I spoke with a tech support rep at Andersen Hitches and they make a hitch designed for flatbeds with a recessed gooseneck ball and a toolbox (part # 3221-TBX). It is offset 3” rearward and has a longer shaft to accommodate the recessed gooseneck ball. It requires 11” between the center of the gooseneck ball and the wedge tool box. I have a little over 13” so it sounds like this will work.
    I'd go for it, then - and lock the Turning Point.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings Mike!

DO NOT blindly weld rails onto the flatbed and assume the load can be handled... If your flatbed is not homebuilt and from a reputable maker, they will actually have a solution for you, and it usually involves some additional underside framing to be welded in. Been there, done that.

I suggest you get back on the phone with Andersen and make sure that adaptation has enough strength. Demco has been making this type of adapter longer than ANYONE and their adapter tops out at 20-21K (forget exactly). This is likely why eTrailer is steering you towards a bolt-down that will actually go to frame as you will be able to run a higher capacity 5er hitch.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Greetings Mike!

DO NOT blindly weld rails onto the flatbed and assume the load can be handled... If your flatbed is not homebuilt and from a reputable maker, they will actually have a solution for you, and it usually involves some additional underside framing to be welded in. Been there, done that.

I suggest you get back on the phone with Andersen and make sure that adaptation has enough strength. Demco has been making this type of adapter longer than ANYONE and their adapter tops out at 20-21K (forget exactly). This is likely why eTrailer is steering you towards a bolt-down that will actually go to frame as you will be able to run a higher capacity 5er hitch.

My problem I have with a bolt down hitch is that I use my gooseneck stock trailer, equipment trailer, etc. more frequently than I’ll use the fifth wheel. If I go this route I’ll just have to live with having the rails on the bed permanently. The flatbed manufacturer is just down the road from me. I’ll give them a call. Thanks. Mike
    Last edited by Mike Clay; 10-16-2021 at 09:41 AM.
    Diane and Mike

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Clay View Post
    My problem I have with a bolt down hitch is that I use my gooseneck stock trailer, equipment trailer, etc. more frequently than I’ll use the fifth wheel. If I go this route I’ll just have to live with having the rails on the bed permanently. The flatbed manufacturer is just down the road from me. I’ll give them a call. Thanks. Mike
    In that case, talk to the maker about possibly converting your welded recessed install to flat-plain B&W turnover. Makes you deck more useful IMO, but then you can rapidly drop in either goose ball or B&W's hitch just for this. As far as I recall from back then, they have the highest rating at 25K. I am sure your Reflection 150 series is pretty light. The pinbox it what limits you from having some greater options...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    In that case, talk to the maker about possibly converting your welded recessed install to flat-plain B&W turnover. Makes you deck more useful IMO, but then you can rapidly drop in either goose ball or B&W's hitch just for this. As far as I recall from back then, they have the highest rating at 25K. I am sure your Reflection 150 series is pretty light. The pinbox it what limits you from having some greater options...
    Looks like the Andersen is rated for more weight than I’ll put on it. https://andersenhitches.com/collecti...oolbox-version
    Diane and Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We picked up our camper today. The 3221-TBX Andersen hitch works well on our 9-foot flatbed. We have plenty of clearance between the camper’s nose and our wedge toolbox and adequate clearance between the back corner of the flatbed and the camper. The closest the corner of the flatbed got to the camper in an almost 90 degree turn was about 4 inches.

I’m impressed with the ride quality. I frequently pull a 10,000 pound compact track loader on a 25’ steel deck gooseneck equipment trailer weighing 4,500 pounds. It’s a pretty rough ride. Pulling the camper home today took just over an hour and I have to use some crappy Oklahoma roads. Our ranch is a ways from the nearest paved road so we got to experience some washboard gravel road and a steep grade. The camper pulls better than the equipment trailer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8906049D-C4E8-4331-9B63-2CDF6765853B.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	37993Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49240807-47E7-4041-B811-4D36082E94EE.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	37994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1A4BDF15-1CDC-4833-908D-6E0BF7A817F4.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	37995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1A4BDF15-1CDC-4833-908D-6E0BF7A817F4.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	37995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1B9B635C-E828-44AD-83A5-34E34EA0F07A.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	37996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58DA9FF1-10AE-42D0-99A7-063CE33DD7D7.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	37997
    Last edited by Mike Clay; 12-03-2021 at 05:12 PM.
    Diane and Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Messed up on the pictures. Meant to send this one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D521E40D-1A2E-4525-BD37-9055C68DEF4C.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	38001
    Diane and Mike