Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When to use Electric Tank Heaters

I have a 2022 Solitude 310GK-R and was wondering when do you use the electric tank heaters? Do you turn them on when it gets cold and just leave them on? I have the trailer parked at a full time spot at a local lake and we are only there on weekends...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgkreis View Post
    I have a 2022 Solitude 310GK-R and was wondering when do you use the electric tank heaters? Do you turn them on when it gets cold and just leave them on? I have the trailer parked at a full time spot at a local lake and we are only there on weekends...
    If you fully drain the grey and black tanks when you leave for the week I wouldn't think you need to use those tank heaters. Just pour a little RV antifreeze down the drains. Do you use the fresh water tank? Can you fully drain the fresh water tank as well? Then you may not need that tank heater either. a lot of water in the fresh water tank would take a while at sub-freezing temps to actually freeze over. My concern would be the water lines in the RV freezing way before the tanks ever would. You would have to keep the furnace running at a lower temp to keep the underbelly heated so the lines wont freeze.

Our RV has three independent tank heater switches, one for each tank. We only turn them on when temps are continuously, or for days, in the mid/lower 20s*. We fulltime so our furnace is always running to keep warm.

I have heard that some RVs have a single switch that controls all the tank heaters, its all or none. I have also read that once you turn on the tank heater switch, they are thermostatically controlled to turn on the heating pads at 43* F, I read that, don't know if true.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the are thermostatically controlled. Just leave the switch during colder weather and they will start and stop as required.
    Safe Travels.
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"