User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Side to side movement on front jacks Lippert Ground control 3.0

We've been in our RV for 8 months and dealt with normal RV movement. But at our current location there seems to be a lot of side to side movement in the front of the RV. I looked outside at jacks and noticed the front jacks have side to side movement as show in picture. I haven't noticed this before and wondering if normal. It's just about 1/8 inch movement and it's smooth back and forth. I can see it outside by just giving the RV a good push. I thought this movement was locked out in the past and that's why this is the first time I'm feeling this new sway movement.

I'm planning to run the jacks and do auto-level again tomorrow so I'll see if that corrects the issue (if it's an issue at all).

Just wondering if anyone else knows anything about this or has noticed this movement on their jacks.
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 278BH - 150 Series 5th Wheel
    2020 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO the amount of movement is affected by how much piston is outside the cylinder, i.e., more piston exposed, more movement will result. That's one of the reasons to use blocks to lessen the amount of piston visible. Adding something like JT Strongarms will pretty much eliminate the issue, it just depends on how much it bothers you.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the image

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jack3.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	37235

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    IMO the amount of movement is affected by how much piston is outside the cylinder, i.e., more piston exposed, more movement will result. That's one of the reasons to use blocks to lessen the amount of piston visible. Adding something like JT Strongarms will pretty much eliminate the issue, it just depends on how much it bothers you.
    Yeah, I agree. I found this to be true in our first few weeks and so we started putting 6 blocks down most of the time to reduce how much the piston comes out of the cylinder and how much the extensions need to go down.

This movement is different than the wobble when the legs are too extended. This is a movement of the cylinder side to side inside the piston as shown in the picture I added above.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Reflections with Ground Control 3.0 are electric jacks and leveling... no pistons.
    @RyanJBow - the design of the front landing gear (squares fitting inside squares) with pretty wide tolerances makes play more likely. As @Hoopy Frood suggested, a system like the JT Strong Arm will eliminate nearly all of the play.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah I see the difference, I was assuming, you know the problems with that, . But with the extension legs the JT Strongarms will pretty much eliminate any movement. I've had them and they do work.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah I see the difference, I was assuming, you know the problems with that, . But with the extension legs the JT Strongarms will pretty much eliminate any movement. I've had them and they do work.
    Thanks for suggestion. I'm mostly confused by the fact that the movement is much worse this time. We're on a level concrete pad. I think they may have less weight on them with more weight on rear and wheels - allowing them more movement. There's a kind of floaty feeling on the front room when the RV moves on the landing gear.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The telescoping tubes have play between them. Good practice is to bump the auto level again after setup and slides out and everything where you put it when you camp. Just be sure to raise the steps before you bump it.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The Reflections with Ground Control 3.0 are electric jacks and leveling... no pistons.
    @RyanJBow - the design of the front landing gear (squares fitting inside squares) with pretty wide tolerances makes play more likely. As @Hoopy Frood suggested, a system like the JT Strong Arm will eliminate nearly all of the play.

Rob
    Understood. I was just using the term pistons to describe the telescoping tubes. I guess that's the wrong term.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    The telescoping tubes have play between them. Good practice is to bump the auto level again after setup and slides out and everything where you put it when you camp. Just be sure to raise the steps before you bump it.
    Interesting idea. I've never tried to auto-level again. I don't see how that would affect the play between the tubes. That play between the tubes seems to really be affecting the movement. I assume it's purposeful in design but I would think there's be a way to lock that out. And if you could, the movement would be very minimal. I understand the JT strongarms are an option. I already have Valterra stabilizers which help more with any bounce or up down movement. The movement I'm feeling is a side-to-side shimmy kind of movement (for lack of better term.

It seems something is affecting the play on those tubes. It could be more weight on the wheels and less on the front landing gear, the distance the tubes are extended vs using blocks or leg extenders. I have noticed that there's more movement felt inside when we're on concrete pads that are level. We often have a more firm feeling RV when we're on unlevel ground. It seems having the unlevel ground ends up having a more firm feel inside after auto-leveling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast