User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    The telescoping tubes have play between them. Good practice is to bump the auto level again after setup and slides out and everything where you put it when you camp. Just be sure to raise the steps before you bump it.
    Your recommendation is to unhook the trailer, auto level, put slides out and auto level again. Is this correct?

What is the purpose of the second auto level? Is it just to tighten up the front legs?

What happens when you do the second auto level? Does it do minor corrections or does it start a new leveling sequence. I have never done a second auto level.
    Last edited by Always Learning; 10-16-2021 at 08:58 PM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    Your recommendation is to unhook the trailer, auto level, put slides out and auto level again. Is this correct?

What is the purpose of the second auto level? Is it just to tighten up the front legs?

What happens when you do the second auto level? Does it do minor corrections or does it start a new leveling sequence. I have never done a second auto level.
    We do this a sometimes. Once set up and auto level and slides out the jack pads will sink into the ground a little after a few hours or a couple days. I take a look at the leveling controller with the menu scroll down till you see the level indicators, ours usually stays at 0.1 on both axis, side to side and fore and aft. If it stays that way its all good but sometimes after the jacks sink in to the ground the level will get off, like 0.1 fore and aft but 0.3 side to side. I just hit the auto level button again on the controller and it will correct it back to 0.1 on both axis. Yes the controller will auto level again but it will make minor corrections, it does not start over from scratch by lifting the rear jacks and starting all over.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    We do this a sometimes. Once set up and auto level and slides out the jack pads will sink into the ground a little after a few hours or a couple days. I take a look at the leveling controller with the menu scroll down till you see the level indicators, ours usually stays at 0.1 on both axis, side to side and fore and aft. If it stays that way its all good but sometimes after the jacks sink in to the ground the level will get off, like 0.1 fore and aft but 0.3 side to side. I just hit the auto level button again on the controller and it will correct it back to 0.1 on both axis. Yes the controller will auto level again but it will make minor corrections, it does not start over from scratch by lifting the rear jacks and starting all over.
    Thanks for the reply. Good to know that the leveling system will only make needed minor adjustments if auto level is used a second time. You have the hydraulic system and mine is electric, don’t know if they act differently. I have never experienced the legs sinking into the ground since we spend our time in the west and no mud. A few times the auto level system said success but not level. I just do a manual level.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Good to know that the leveling system will only make needed minor adjustments if auto level is used a second time. You have the hydraulic system and mine is electric, don’t know if they act differently. I have never experienced the legs sinking into the ground since we spend our time in the west and no mud. A few times the auto level system said success but not level. I just do a manual level.
    Our leveling system is electric 6 way, the S Class Solitudes use electric leveling, personally I prefer it that way. I believe the full Solitudes using hydraulic systems work the same. On solid gravel or asphalt / concrete sites our rig doesn't move or get out of level. But we have been to a few campgrounds where the site is more dirt than gravel or asphalt.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJBow View Post
    Interesting idea. I've never tried to auto-level again. I don't see how that would affect the play between the tubes. That play between the tubes seems to really be affecting the movement. I assume it's purposeful in design but I would think there's be a way to lock that out. And if you could, the movement would be very minimal. I understand the JT strongarms are an option. I already have Valterra stabilizers which help more with any bounce or up down movement. The movement I'm feeling is a side-to-side shimmy kind of movement (for lack of better term.

It seems something is affecting the play on those tubes. It could be more weight on the wheels and less on the front landing gear, the distance the tubes are extended vs using blocks or leg extenders. I have noticed that there's more movement felt inside when we're on concrete pads that are level. We often have a more firm feeling RV when we're on unlevel ground. It seems having the unlevel ground ends up having a more firm feel inside after auto-leveling.
    It's quite simple really. The weight distribution is one thing when all turtled up and changes when the slides are open and generate eccentric loading relative to the jacks. It can and does unload the front jacks somewhat. Bumping again with make some adjustments for this change. It can be especially noticeable on clay soil because the feet tend to sink in with movement in the camper and bumping every couple days when the clay is moist helps a lot. Outside of that, the telescoping tubes don't change unless you bent a mid-extension. Lippert does no precision fitting and there are no centralizers whether machined metal or polymer. Just tube within tube operates by very simple adjustment screw.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It also makes sense that the trailer will be slightly out of level after the slides are extended. There is a lot of weight there and of course the weight won't be equal amongst the slides. It has been suggested in some other discussions within the forum to do an auto level afterwards, the logic seems solid.
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Strongarms will virtually eliminate that movement. You may be feeling it more because being on a concrete pad, the jacks went straight down with no side loading like you would get on a surface that wasn't so level.
    Ayran and Paul McIntosh
    Box Elder, SD
    2020 Solitude 310GK "LaMancha"
    2017 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the Winfield System on my last 5th wheel. Works very well.
    I have not felt the need on my current rig.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winfield System.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	37549
    http://winfieldrvproducts.com/
    No affiliation just a satisfied customer.
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12