User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Can’t see any need for impact sockets at all
    I normally don't need them either but I did buy a couple because I could not find what I needed to fit lug nuts in 6 point deep unless it was an impact one.
    I don't like to lug around too many tools either. But I do have enough to cover most situations (including a multi-meter).
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Too optimistic for me... Being an Engineer, I am a realistic. Being Order of the Arrow,, I'm always prepared. It's a machine. All of them breakdown sooner or later. Doesn't mean they're bad. I have 115 year old mills still in service. Sure, I'm not dropping a transmission on the road, but if I loose the serpentine belt, fan, get water from bad diesel, and the like, I'm not dead in the water...
    Well, it's worked for 20 years with this truck. Only issue I ever had was ran out of fuel due to an optimistic fuel gauge. That took a 19mm wrench and a few minutes and away we went. Never been stranded anywhere in 50 some years due to a mechanical fault. I figure that's why they made credit cards and tow trucks.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well to close this out. I was lucky to find a local sale - good to keep business local. They have ordered the following for me.
    https://capritools.com/shop/1-2-driv...ct-socket-set/
    This set will primarily be for home use.

Then I got this for the lug nuts to carry with me.
    https://capritools.com/shop/impact-flip-socket-set/

Everything is in stock and not stuck on a container ship. A lot of sites are showing out of stock on this and similar sets from other brands.

Thanks Folks
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry a full set of impact sockets and a Dewalt 20V Impact. For me, The Dewalt and an impact socket for every size wheel lug is imperative. I have the same collection in the wife's Sequoia. So, even if we are in her car pulling the boat trailer, I'm covered. I'm not going to wrestle with a star lug wrench on the side of the road.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't laugh, but I have a set of Harbor Freight 1/2in impact sockets in both SAE and metric that have been great. And I'm NOT easy on them, I have a really beefy 1/2in air impact driver that I use on them all the time (~1100ft lbs, IIRC). I also do something not at all kosher and have a 3/4 to 1/2in adapter and have hooked those HF sockets up to my 3/4in monster impact that required a 1/2in hose to run it. Still didn't manage to break them, and I think that wrench is close to 2000ft/lbs of torque. So, for sockets, the HF 1/2 sets, I'm a believer, if I break one tomorrow, I'd buy them again.

For travel though, like others, I don't carry an impact or a full set of sockets. I carry a long breaker bar and a set of wheel lug sockets in 1/2in. A small air compressor for the bags and Goosebox, a larger air compressor for tires, and a few assorted tools (adjustable, channellocks, full set of screwdrivers, etc). My thought is if I'm getting into a job that requires an impact, that's probably not the end of it. Likely going to need a jack. And jack stands. Probably going to need some parts. I have a full shop at home, and even with 4 full size toolboxes full of stuff, there are a lot of jobs that pop up where I'm missing one tool or another. I couldn't even come close to bringing all that with me, and, as I mentioned, it's still not enough.

IMHO, focus on the common/reasonably easy to fix stuff. Make sure you can get a tire on/off and inflate it. Make sure you can grease things that might need greasing (a grease gun). Make sure you have enough tools for inside the RV to deal with simple stuff, a voltmeter, a small tool kit (wire cutters/strippers, a few wrenches, a set of screwdrivers, etc).

If it goes beyond what I can handle with those tools, I'm going to go down the "phone a friend" route.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Well to close this out. I was lucky to find a local sale - good to keep business local. They have ordered the following for me.
    https://capritools.com/shop/1-2-driv...ct-socket-set/
    This set will primarily be for home use.

Then I got this for the lug nuts to carry with me.
    https://capritools.com/shop/impact-flip-socket-set/

Everything is in stock and not stuck on a container ship. A lot of sites are showing out of stock on this and similar sets from other brands.

Thanks Folks
    You will like these. I have the same flip socket set, and I have the 3/8" impact version of the master set you referenced. If i find myself needing another full 1/2" set in addition to what I have, that Capri set is on my wish list.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why I keep the amazon list updated. My adults kids are asking what I need. Last Christmas was a full set of Dewalt impacts to fit my Craftsman.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    You will like these. I have the same flip socket set, and I have the 3/8" impact version of the master set you referenced. If i find myself needing another full 1/2" set in addition to what I have, that Capri set is on my wish list.

The set arrived today - 2 days after ordering. All I can say is WOW. However I blame you for spending more of my money today. Zoro had a 25% off coupon so I ordered the 3/8 set too. So now I will have everything from 1/4 to 1/2 and can leave the big bulky box at home and just carry the wrenches, pliers, etc.

This 1/2" set is big and heavy with a very good storage box, I like the markings as even I can see them, and when the paint wears off they are embossed. The case also has markings molded into it - a nice touch.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The set arrived today - 2 days after ordering. All I can say is WOW. However I blame you for spending more of my money today. Zoro had a 25% off coupon so I ordered the 3/8 set too. So now I will have everything from 1/4 to 1/2 and can leave the big bulky box at home and just carry the wrenches, pliers, etc.

This 1/2" set is big and heavy with a very good storage box, I like the markings as even I can see them, and when the paint wears off they are embossed. The case also has markings molded into it - a nice touch.
    You're welcome. If it's one thing this forum is good at, it is spending other people's money. Enjoy your sockets.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully they will work like an umbrella.....carry one and you won't need it ..LOL
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast