User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question Good impact sockets

I just added one of there to my travel tool arsenal https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...SABEgIG_fD_BwE
    along with a torque bar set
    https://www.zoro.com/capri-tools-12-.../i/G900459455/

Now I do have other uses for the impact wrench on my hay equipment, but for the trailer this has been recommended
    https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-02282B-...45269352&psc=1

Now to cover everything I need deep and std 1/2" drive impact sockets in metric and SAE.

I am watching for sales. This may help other in completing what tool sets they travel with. Right now I carry a full craftsman box 1/4" through 1/2" drive along with box end wrenches and assorted pliers and adjustable wrenches, but not impact rated. I also currently carry a Makita drill driver and hex impact driver along with drill bits, etc.. So with the correct set I can eliminate some of what I carry.

I found the following that could meet my needs - thoughts would be appreciated.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-5153DD-...71319491&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MXB85S3...t-sockets&th=1
    https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-6-Poin...47&sr=8-1&th=1
    This package gets me deep sockets on both metric and SAE with out the getting big set
    https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2-Inch...4150747&sr=8-2
    verses thier complete set
    https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-6-Poin...62&sr=8-5&th=1
    and last I have a 1/4" drive of this brand
    https://capritools.com/shop/1-2-driv...ct-socket-set/

So what I should get if sales occur? Does anyone have one of the above?

Thanks

PS moderators - I was not sure where to put this so move if needed.

Thanks Keith
    Last edited by powerscol; 10-16-2021 at 08:12 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having the right tools on hand is very important, new rvers will find out why the first time they need them.
    Our not first time friends eant out in their new Transcend for their 2nd outing... The weight distribution/sway system came loose on one side and the water heater decided to not work. Not a tool in sight also no ele meter to check the water heater connections...looks like cold showers or use the busy campground bathhouse. He forgot to put the tool box back in the camper.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need the sockets at home, then those all look pretty good. But seriously, how many of those will actually be needed on the trailer? Maybe a half-dozen? The rest will just be dead weight, and things to move to get to the stuff you need.

I carry a minimal tool kit: set of sockets, pliers, screwdrivers, and combination wrenches. I've found that the tool you need will not be the tool you have. Shoot, if I took everything I might need I'd have no room for anything else. Since I don't boondock and am rarely too far away from civilization I figure I can find what I need if what I've got doesn't cover it. The last time I needed a tool I didn't have, it was a 3/4 NPT tap. Now I'm not going to carry taps and dies with me too.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can’t see any need for impact sockets at all

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a full set of 1/2" craftsmen impact sockets, deep, shallow, metric and SAE. There is no way I'd need them camping. I keep a set of flip sockets for lug nuts (its 3 impact sockets with 6 common lug nut sizes) and my electric impact wrench in the truck. I do have a socket set that I keep in my truck toolbox whether I have the camper or not.

I've had plenty of things break camping and I dont see the need for impact sockets. Maybe if a leaf spring breaks, it could be beneficial to get the old nut and bolt off, but regular sockets and a breaker bar can work too.

With that said, if you have the extra storage room and available weight, then bring anything you desire, at least you will be prepared to fix something or help someone else.

I will say my list of tools that I carry varies greatly from when we lived in our Momentum compared to just camping every now and then.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    If you need the sockets at home, then those all look pretty good. But seriously, how many of those will actually be needed on the trailer? Maybe a half-dozen? The rest will just be dead weight, and things to move to get to the stuff you need.

I carry a minimal tool kit: set of sockets, pliers, screwdrivers, and combination wrenches. I've found that the tool you need will not be the tool you have. Shoot, if I took everything I might need I'd have no room for anything else. Since I don't boondock and am rarely too far away from civilization I figure I can find what I need if what I've got doesn't cover it. The last time I needed a tool I didn't have, it was a 3/4 NPT tap. Now I'm not going to carry taps and dies with me too.

I agree, a good assortment of basic tools. It is impossible to take enough to cover everything that might happen. Pex tools and a # 2 robertson square drive are handy to have along with the basics. Most items put together in a RV is done with the robertson #2 ( I believe 2 is the #). After that if something comes up you don't have go to the store or borrow one. Then you're not overloading your trailer or taking up all the storage space. You know for the important stuff like plenty of beer. Something else that is a must have is a meter for when electrical problems pop up.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 10-17-2021 at 09:31 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think some of the responders are focused only on the coach... If you are like me, and you are preparing for your needs to repair your TV on the road, your toolset has different needs. For impact on the road, I do not carry full sets. I carry what I might need, and that's a pretty easy selection with a RAM. Outside of that, I have a healthy kitted assortment of sockets and ratchets, breaker bar, torque wrenches,, fan clutch tool, filter wrenches, small assortment of drifts and seal drivers (emergency hub/bearing service), maul and mallet, full assortment of combination wrenches, set of flare nut wrenches, adjustable wrench for larger sizes, channel locks, interchangeable tip screwdriver, wire brushes, and some other items.

Over the years, I've had to do major and minor repairs while in the road. More often than not, to vehicles and campers of others in our group because they traveled without! Granted, some of those in our caravan shouldn't be withing 50 feet of tools, but that's another thread...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you're full timing, the requirements are different than if you're only out for a month or two.

But honestly, I don't bring tools to work on my truck. I expect it to get me to where I want to go. If I felt that I needed to carry enough tools to work on the truck to the extent that you've described, I'd be looking for another truck.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as traveling with or without the trailer, I carry two impact sockets-deep one for the truck lugs & one for the trailer lugs. Also torque wrench, half inch breaker bar. I do have a small set of 1/2 & 3/8 socket & ratchets & other assorted tools I keep in the truck. I can't think of another use for impacts on the trailer, & I retired from doing anything on the truck engine (other than oil & flat changes) years ago. I know enough about diesel engines to make myself dangerous)
    I do have a full set of impacts at home.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Well, if you're full timing, the requirements are different than if you're only out for a month or two.

But honestly, I don't bring tools to work on my truck. I expect it to get me to where I want to go. If I felt that I needed to carry enough tools to work on the truck to the extent that you've described, I'd be looking for another truck.
    Too optimistic for me... Being an Engineer, I am a realistic. Being Order of the Arrow,, I'm always prepared. It's a machine. All of them breakdown sooner or later. Doesn't mean they're bad. I have 115 year old mills still in service. Sure, I'm not dropping a transmission on the road, but if I loose the serpentine belt, fan, get water from bad diesel, and the like, I'm not dead in the water...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast