Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection 308BHTS 2nd AC Installed

It seems there is a ton of talk on various RV forums about 2nd AC's regarding size, brand, ducted, prewired, non-ducted... so I decided to post what I ended up with.

After our first couple trips in near record setting heat here in South Florida and another couple no-shade summer trips coming up, I decided our new 308BHTS would benefit from a second AC unit. Even with the mid-90's heat and no shade it was still not unbearable in the camper just not as cool as I like. We also leave our dog in the camper while we go out for the day. Called the dealer we purchased our TT from and they got me in a couple days later for the install. I dropped it off in the morning and picked up in the afternoon. Cost was AC unit price plus 2 hours labor.

I decided to go with a matching Atwood unit to the one that is already there. 13.5K, black cover, ducted installed in the pre-wired and ducted front vent opening.
    Apparently the pre-wiring is for dometic units and a new wire needed to be pulled for the thermostat. A separate thermostat is installed above light switch in master.

We are very happy with the results. We actually like a little noise at night but heard lots of complaints about some units being too loud. The ducted atwood is nice and quite and also helps cool the entire trailer. It cools the trailer down real fast and has been running nice on the side of the house. First trip with 2nd AC this weekend in the Keys... should be a good test.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    When I negotiated the front A/C on our new 337 I wish I had specified the same unit. Our main cabin A/C is the Atwood and it is remarkably quiet. Sometimes I don't even think it's working. The front Dometic is remarkably loud. It is fully ducted so I even close off the vents in the unit which does quieten it some. I actually think it would be impossible to sleep with it running. To me it "appeared" as though the Dometic was taller, which was another concern, but I measured it and, if I remember correctly, it is actually a tad bit shorter. Optical illusion I guess. So far we have only used the BR A/C when we were out of the trailer and wanted to keep the unit cool for the dog. We shut it off when we returned. The 2 units did an excellent job keeping the rig cool and once the day got later the main A/C had no trouble keeping it comfortable so maybe it will be a non-issue.

If the noise is more than we can handle I may just swap them out. I'm sure there's a second hand market for the Dometic.

I'll be eager to hear how it performs on your upcoming trip.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have two Atwood AC units. They both work well but gee, we are tall. I have not measured but the stats say the rig itself is 12' 6" tall. The Atwood AC it 13.6". That makes the rig 13' 7 1/2" tall. I sure wish they would have told me this would be the case but I had no idea it would be a problem....keep your Dometic.
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking the 12'6" includes the A/C unit...
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm.....I hope you're right. Somehow I think since the unit ships without a front AC that the 12'6" is the standard height. I may be wrong - hope so.
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not all models specify on the GD specs page but all the solitudes do specify the height to be 12' 11" from the ground to the top of the front AC.
    2015 Reflection 323 BHS #589
    Still working Electrical Engineer
    Rob, Maureen, Dakota, Jacob and Murphy the Lab
    JustinThyme (Just In Time) is a forum handle

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On our 337, we are 12'-10" while hooked up. We have the Dometic low profile AC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    That's not far off the mark of the listed height of 12'6". My bet is the extra 4" is your set up for towing and not the AC. I know they are low profile but don't think its 4"
    2015 Reflection 323 BHS #589
    Still working Electrical Engineer
    Rob, Maureen, Dakota, Jacob and Murphy the Lab
    JustinThyme (Just In Time) is a forum handle

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know...I will check when I get it back from the dealer - replaced that Kantleak system. It was leaking and in backward.
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    That's good to hear Jim. I've had nightmares that I'm over 13 1/2 ft with the front A/C. I just haven't had the right opportunity to measure it. It seems every time I get the chance I'm not on level ground or I don't have the proper tools to do it. I assumed (I know) that when the specs said 12'6" height and the trailer doesn't come with the front A/C as standard equipment that the spec height wouldn't include the A/C. I think my Dometic is almost 14 1/2" tall so I was very worried about my height. I've got to get out there and get at least a close measurement so I can be a little more comfortable.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast